Thread: Wire stuck in gun Lincoln 100 amp

Post Thanks / Like

Wire stuck in gun Lincoln 100 amp

I have a Lincoln 100 amp mig that I use around the shop. It ran out of wire and I tried to put more in. The old wire is stuck in the line near the entry point. I can tell because when I feed the new wire in it goes about two inches. When I pull it back out the new wire it is bent and twisted on the end I'm trying to feed in. I'm pretty mechanical, but this has me stumped. Is there a fix for this? Thanks everyone. Larry

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wire stuck in gun Lincoln 100 amp

Can you take the contact tip off the end and pull the old wire out? Another possibility is your liner is kinked at the end you are trying to feed it into.

Post Thanks / Like

When you pulled out the old wire,,, which end did you pull it out from? If you pulled it from the tip end, did you cut that little kinked up end off that comes off of the spool?
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Post Thanks / Like

I pulled the old wire out of the tip end. I cut the new wire with a good square cut before I tried to feed it in. How do I fix the liner if it is kinked at the spool end? I haven't found a way to get the line off that holds the liner.

Post Thanks / Like

When the wire comes off the reel it generally has a kinked up end on it where it was hooked off for winding up on the spool. That end will most often make it through the rollers and just up to the liner as it exits the rollers. If you pull the wire out from the tip end without at least trimming that kinked up end off, there's a chance it won't make it all the way to the end before a piece of it breaks off in the liner. A broken off piece of kinked wire in the liner,, bad deal .
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Post Thanks / Like

Try blowing it out with compressed air, pointing away from your face! Maybe you just need a new liner they are like 10-20 bucks depending on the gun

Post Thanks / Like

Just replace the liner. They are cheap and it most likely needed a new one anyway.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

Post Thanks / Like

I got the kinked up wire out of the liner. There was a piece about 6 inches long all kinked. The liner broke off where you feed the line in. How do I get the liner out of the gun line. I took the gun off and pulled very hard on the liner and nothing happened.

Post Thanks / Like

You need to remove it from the wire feed end, set screw then pull. Look up manual online and follow instructions.
    Everlast PowerPro 256, Everlast W300 Cooler, Everlast Cart 250
    Millermatic 211, Spoolgun 100, Miller HD Cart
    Jackson W60 Truesight Digital Auto Darkening, Victor 315 Torch sitting on a Harper 830-86 cart

Post Thanks / Like

Got it!!! Thanks guys I could not have done it without you help.

One other thing. I ordered the new liner and looked at several liners that fit my gun. None of the liners look like there is liner protruding from the bushing. My old one had about 3 - 4 inches protruding from the bushing where the wire feeds into the liner.

Post Thanks / Like

Forget the last post. I found the small piece of liner that is secured in the welder to help guide the wire to the bushing. Thanks again everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Those little Lincoln Weldpak and SP series welders are bad about kinking there. And as you now know, are a PITA to get your fingers in to get the little thumbscrew and other crap loose. Glad you got it going your way.