Thread: Can't Get A Seal Btank to Seal

Post Thanks / Like

Can't Get A Seal Btank to Seal

I've tried turn and thighten in different postions and this will not seal . So take a look at these pictures and see if you see anything wrong. I just baffled what to do . I hve solved it by turn and tighen till I get it .
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can't Get A Seal Btank to Seal

Quote Originally Posted by 560Dennis View Post
    I've tried turn and thighten in different postions and this will not seal . So take a look at these pictures and see if you see anything wrong. I just baffled what to do . I hve solved it by turn and tighen till I get it .
    I have gotten leaking diesel injector lines to seal before by dressing them with brand new red scotch brite by hand. (Some people say this is a bad idea.. it works in the real world tho...) Im not saying its right or the best thing to do but I would do it. Keep anything with oil on it away from high pressure tanks if you do it, and cover the holes with tape or something that stops the dust from the scotch brite from getting in... dress by hand both the male and female sides best you can... then blow all the dust away with compressed air.

I also did this one time with a propane tank... worked perfect.
    Last edited by sparky24; 10-30-2015 at 05:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Reg face looks like it may be distorted. Chances are though it's usually the cylinder valve. If I have a cylinder that will not seal with reasonable pressure, I simply take it back and exchange it. Problem is if you keep tightening it down, chances are you will mess up the reg seat, and then you will have this problem every time until you replace the seat on the reg. These are all soft metal seats and they are easy to distort if using a large wrench. Once screwed up, they are hard to real fix right. Sure you might get it to seal, but what about the next cylinder and so on down the line?

Fuel gasses are one thing I don't mess with. If your argon leaks, no big deal unless you are in a tiny compartment on a ship or something. Propane/acetylene don't take a huge amount to become explosive. There are plenty of real world examples of cars, vans and garages that have blown up due to a leaking cylinder. Simply turning on a light or having a static spark is enough to light the thing off if conditions are right.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

dsw, gave you the right answer, but i got a remedy, that works better than it sounds. spit some saliva on your finger tip, and spread it around the seating face of the reg. then tighten it down. you'll be surprised.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    Reg face looks like it may be distorted. Chances are though it's usually the cylinder valve. If I have a cylinder that will not seal with reasonable pressure, I simply take it back and exchange it. Problem is if you keep tightening it down, chances are you will mess up the reg seat, and then you will have this problem every time until you replace the seat on the reg. These are all soft metal seats and they are easy to distort if using a large wrench. Once screwed up, they are hard to real fix right. Sure you might get it to seal, but what about the next cylinder and so on down the line?

Fuel gasses are one thing I don't mess with. If your argon leaks, no big deal unless you are in a tiny compartment on a ship or something. Propane/acetylene don't take a huge amount to become explosive. There are plenty of real world examples of cars, vans and garages that have blown up due to a leaking cylinder. Simply turning on a light or having a static spark is enough to light the thing off if conditions are right.
    I took the tank back and got another one. I took it home and attached the regulator , open the valve and no leak, soaped it nothing. I'm very happy, thank you