+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to welding looking to purchase a welder

Post Thanks / Like

New to welding looking to purchase a welder

Hello all - I have been a long time stalker reading as much as I can to better my welding knowledge and looking at the pictures posted. I have taken a few classes (stick/TIG) at the local community college and am now looking to buy a welder. I am just a hobbyist and can't afford any of the big name brands so I am looking at getting a Power Pro 205 or 256. I will probably/hopefully use the machine at least once a month on projects I have in my head.I think I will be welding stainless steel mostly and maybe some aluminum less than 3/8". It will be SS or Alum since I live on Oahu and everything rusts/corrodes.

As a novice and material listed above what model would you recommend, PP205 or PP256? What are the advantages of each?

Thanks for any insight.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New to welding looking to purchase a welder

As a beginner I recommend getting the book "Metals and how to weld them" from the lincoln society. Its 10 bucks and a very easy read, about 350 pages. Give you a lot of info on mettalurgy and process's. As for a machine to weld aluminum and ss I'd say anything 200amps or bigger with ac and pulse

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New to welding looking to purchase a welder

Joe:
    As you are aware this is a really good reference book. I would recommend it to all NOOBS myself included !

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist