+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bicycle Trailer

Post Thanks / Like

Bicycle Trailer

This is a bike trailer I built from hot roll rod in order to keep the weight down. The wheels I bought cheap on-line....otherwise, I would have used the more expensive cartwheels that uses an axle (i tried to keep my cost and weight down this way). the tongue is made from doubling up hot roll rod. the angle specs I got from taking measurements on a store bought kid hauling trailer at 'big-box'mart'. On the end of the tongue, I welded a bolt straight down, and drilled a pinning hole, as well as tapered it. I generally don't put more than 50 lbs in it at a time. I have put this trailer through heck on mountain bike trails and it has proven to be a good design. (I only turned it over once when I wiped out in a hidden ravine.)
    This pin style hitch fits into my bike's receiver hitch that I posted on another thread.
    I have posted this pic on another thread long ago, but I felt like I should put it on a new thread with better details since I've had people ask me more about it.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bicycle Trailer

it will work really well if you would have used a semi heavy duty spring like a spring for a trampoline on the junction between the mount and the actual trailer it will reduce alot of the issues im sure you have experienced with weight and turning and bumps but i really like your design what are you planning on carrying?

Post Thanks / Like

You're right....The spring idea does work well. The store bought ones have that, and I have used those before. But to be honest.....I can't tell a huge difference between the two... They both function well. Although the heim joint hitch does make a bit of rattling noises where the spring hitch is quieter. I do feel less bind when turning the heim joint hitch which makes me like it a little better. I actually built this a few years ago. I pull belly boats to strip pits in the backwoods plus other fishing gear.

Post Thanks / Like

wow spammer??? Sweet trailer man, i really like the ingenuity.
    HTP Invertig 201
    Lincoln Idealarc SP250
    Miller 180 AC Stick

By farmall:
    They should have held the seagull closer to the work, squeezing evenly for best deposition.

Post Thanks / Like

Art trailer I built for carrying my art supplies back and forth to school.
    Last edited by riceburner; 05-31-2011 at 10:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

That is awesome! That would be too nice for me to take in the back-country and haul dead fish in.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a pic for a good laugh. We put a keg tub in the bottom of the cart to haul our heavy gear, and then stacked up a tower of belly boats. Took off down the trail and never looked back. Worked so well, that we have tested it with an additional belly boat and still didn't have any issues. We have successfully taken it with this load in the back-country down chicken paths through really bad terrain. Can't seem to turn this thing over, but we're still trying!
    Last edited by captain belly; 05-31-2011 at 10:58 PM. Reason: opps...forgot picture

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the pic loaded down.......

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist