+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Esab PCM-875 Plasma Cutter Troubleshooting

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Esab PCM-875 Plasma Cutter Troubleshooting

Well I called ESAB today and just missed them (darn time zones). I decided to dig a little deeper, as I was baffled that I couldn't see ANYTHING that could give a hint. I took the top Control Board off and took it in my office under really good light, and I couldn't see anything of concern. Back out to the shop to the machine... poking, prodding, peering with a flashlight... wait, what's that? Smoky Residue? (technical term there, right?) it looks like a Power Module might be blown. Quick google and it's readily available at about $120, $55 if I go through Malaysia and Amazon. I'd like to still talk to ESAB to make sure that this isn't a repercussion of a bigger problem, but man... if this is it... Name:  20151207_155915.jpg
Views: 1039
Size:  57.5 KBName:  20151207_155902.jpg
Views: 1001
Size:  56.2 KBName:  20151207_155851.jpg
Views: 986
Size:  50.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Sure looks like an IGBT (insulated gate bipolar transistor) failure to me. Often caused by an input line voltage spike. If you are lucky that may be the only issue. Make sure when you replace it that you clean the mounting area well and replace the heat sink grease properly and torque the mounting bolts. Keep us posted!

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Post Thanks / Like

I do know in some Esab inverters, Esab recommended replacing other parts (Another board) when the IGBT failed.. That was on a 350 MPI inverter, and might not be true in this case.. It is wise to contact Esab, and it would not hurt to PM. ccawgc at this forum. He is up to date on Esab, along with many more machine brands too..
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Viking 250 mig/2410 feeder
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

[/ATTACH]Name:  20151208_083538.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  53.8 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    Sure looks like an IGBT (insulated gate bipolar transistor) failure to me. Often caused by an input line voltage spike. If you are lucky that may be the only issue. Make sure when you replace it that you clean the mounting area well and replace the heat sink grease properly and torque the mounting bolts. Keep us posted!

Jim Colt Hypertherm
    Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    I do know in some Esab inverters, Esab recommended replacing other parts (Another board) when the IGBT failed.. That was on a 350 MPI inverter, and might not be true in this case.. It is wise to contact Esab, and it would not hurt to PM. ccawgc at this forum. He is up to date on Esab, along with many more machine brands too..
    Thanks guys. According to the ESAB manual/parts list, this is not the IGBT, I thought it was at first as well, but the IGBT is up and to the right, it's the white component in this picture. It would probably be smart to test it as well though...

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe an input rectifier?

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

I saw the Sanrex, and thought it was a IGBT. Esab/LTec had some Sanrax made plasma's too. The 875 are SC ones..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Blue Demon 140 MSI
    Blue Demon 200 AC/DC
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    INE 1500
    Lincoln 250 Idealarc
    Thermal LM-200
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Thermal 15c
    Topshak 40 plasma
    Miller Regency 200/LN-72
    Viking 250 mig/2410 feeder
    Weldcote 140

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    I saw the Sanrex, and thought it was a IGBT. Esab/LTec had some Sanrax made plasma's too. The 875 are SC ones..
    Great, thank you for the spec sheet. I just ordered the part, it should ship today. Hopefully this will do it!

Post Thanks / Like

Well... no joy. I swapped the part and it's doing the same exact thing. Definitely need to call ESAB now.

Post Thanks / Like

Send me a PM with what this plasma is doing. What tests have been performed.
    On the line side of the diode assembly there should have been 3 MOVs. They have a bad habit of blowing up when they get old. usually nothing else get damaged. in order for the buss caps to get voltage the resister at the end of the yellow wires must be good.
    The MOVs can be removed for testing but if left removed the input diode will get damaged.
    Did you power up this unit and pull the trigger. observed the HF spark gap operating?
    If so we need to disable the HF, and try to measure the OCV work clamp to electrode and then nozzle. The HF will kill your meter. Send me the PM answer questions, I will give you next steps and how to disable HF.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist