Thread: Admswelding got your ears on for a bucket ??

Post Thanks / Like

Admswelding got your ears on for a bucket ??

Well it is time for my annual bucket welding job, the one that reminds me that the guys who do it earn every cent they charge. This one is mine though, so maybe I will like it more this time.
    My "NEW" Case 530 bucket has a worn cutting edge. The stock one is a 3" x 72ish" edge. I am likely to keep this tractor for a while so I want to make it last. My last Case had the same size edge and I just welded a new one on and used it bare. There were no holes in the edge to bolt on another.
    What do I need to buy so that I can bolt on a consumable edge? Also, I would like to be able to bolt on a tooth bar, or just bolt on teeth. Most of my use needs no teeth, just moving dirt. However, I am taking this up to my remote cabin to do some work on my road and pad, and some added digging ability with the front bucket would be handy. What is the best way to set this up.

Admswelding helped me via PM on my last job for a customer, but I thought it might be better to put this in the public forum. Anyone feel free to chime in.

Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Admswelding got your ears on for a bucket ??

You can buy the weld in cutting edges with the holes.

I have always wanted to try a Rezloh edge instead of the bolt in tooth bar, they look pretty solid and sort of a best of both world's.
    http://rezloh.com/demo-videos/
    Last edited by Teggy1; 12-08-2015 at 09:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Teggy1 View Post
    You can buy the weld in cutting edges with the holes.
    I see it with holes at the equipment shop, but there are lots of different sizes and spacing. They are a little funny dealing with a little guy, so I don't always trust their answers either.

Post Thanks / Like

I snuck out and got a picture in the dark. The stock edge has the bent up corners. The sides are relatively clean, so I was just planning on doing the bottom. Bucket is 73 1/2" outside width.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by walker; 12-08-2015 at 10:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

It appears hole spacing varies, depending on width. http://www.colemanequip.com/BoltOn_R...ttingEdges.asp

I don't know if there is any sort of industry standard, but I'd guess your going to get whatever the stock 72" size has for holes.

Post Thanks / Like

You can spend $500.00 to get a new cutting edge bolt on base, and a bolt on edge. Your machine won't be real hard on the edge. I have a four wheel drive Case 580 K. It out weighs yours by a couple tons. I buy grouser stock made for dozer tracks. It's high manganese steel. I can't imagine a tougher material. I use it as a straightedge, and cut the worn edge to match the back of the grouser stock. Preheat the floor of bucket to 400 Degrees. Weld it on with 7018. As it cools it'll break in at least one place. I deliberately cut it in three pieces so that break isn't in the middle. It'll last as long as you want.

I have done a non bolt on edge from a winter maintenance supplier they sell the high manganese wide cutting edge to replace the old with. These things last forever on machines not used for loading processed material from concrete floors. Bolt on adds a lot of weight, and it adds big nuts to interfere with getting materials in, and out of the bucket.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Being perfectly honest, the 3" factory weld on edge would last me a long time, so it may not be worth it to spend the extra money for a bolt on edge. I am always in dirt, never on asphalt or concrete. I just don't want to do it and regret later what I did. I do want some removable teeth though. A tooth bar looks easy enough to make, just didn't know how stable they are. The ease of installation is nice if it will hold up.

Post Thanks / Like

Put some hard rod on the bottom of the new cutting edge and replace hard rod as it wears.
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

You can buy the adapter to weld in that has holes for a bolt on reversible edge.I don,t think it,s necessary in this application.As said you are not running processed material/rock all day on this machine.I would go for a 3/4"thkx8"x96" weld on lip.Blackcat makes the ones I use, may have to buy 120"if that what they stock.My supplier I buy from stocks that brand but there are a few out there.It will cost less then buying a adapter,edges,bolts but it is your choice.

Post Thanks / Like

You should be able to find a replacement edge for your bucket that is already drilled. I worked for a Deere dealer for a number of years and they offered a wide array of replacement blades that would fit other equipment. So find someone in your area that will work with you and buy an edge made to fit your bucket.
    I always used to add a couple of wear plates to the heel of the bucket so it would sit level with the bolt on edge installed, I have seen too many buckets without that where the operator would wear through the back of the bucket. Once that is done it's a real pain to fix the bucket.
    The few times I couldn't get an edge that was already drilled I would pick a bolt on edge that would fit and I drilled the weld on edge using a Coles Drill, spend some time laying it out accurately and it's not all that hard to drill those.
    Dirk

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly I haven't had replaced a cutting edge on any the equipment I run. (skid steer, backhoe, loader) I have gone through LOTS of cutting edges on all kinds of snow plow blades though. As I know a lot of the parts from heavy equipment dealers are routinely highway robbery. Same goes for plow parts if you are using the wrong supplier (the smaller dealers who sell lots of light duty equipment for the dime a dozen landscape & homeowner guys). I would DEFINITELY replace any of my cutting edges with weld on and maybe with holes for bolt on teeth. I'd have to check with the supplier I get plow edges from if they know the exact steel the blades are made of as they wear incredible compared to the stock crap you gut with a new plow. Snow blades get HAMMERED with HUNDREDS of miles of wear on asphalt and concrete even by the 1 ton trucks only doing commercial parking lots. They frequently absorb huge shock loads from manhole covers, etc. That all being said, I buy 5/8" x 6" x 108" edges that are pre punched for carriage bolts in standard or any other pattern I want for $150 ish from my local supplier who does all the state and local highway department cutting edges. They carry ALL kinds of thickness and width. I'll weld on snow edges to my buckets with the tooth holes punched in them when I need to.

Ryan

Post Thanks / Like

You guys sure do stuff the hard way Name:  1947_eating_popcorn_and_drinking_be.gif
Views: 595
Size:  6.4 KB
    Backed my CATMA over your CARMA oops clusmy me

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Trailblazer 302 AirPak
    Miller Digital Elite
    Optrel Welding Hat
    Arcair K4000
    Suitcase 12RC / 12 VS
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Rage 3 saw
    Rusty old Truck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by killdozerd11 View Post
    You guys sure do stuff the hard way Name:  1947_eating_popcorn_and_drinking_be.gif
Views: 595
Size:  6.4 KB
    Not me, i do toughiest jobs the easiest way i can think of.Though it doesn,t always seem like i did.But as many you know i don,t usually get the easy jobs anyhow.

Post Thanks / Like

I was not thinking of you

As far as cutting edges go the scrapers have quite a bit left for loader cutting edges after they are replaced on the scrapers and the dozers also
    and to make wear plates for the underside of the loader buckets behind the cutting edges

it's easier if the bucket has teeth to start with
    then take a set of worn teeth put them on .The set a cutting edge on the flat ground and put the bucket on top with the teeth on top get it lined up straight and not too tight a fit that you won't be able to knock the pins out of the teeth when you want to remove the cutting edges and weld the cutting edges to the old teeth

Now you have a smooth cutting edged bucket ....Knock the pins out and back up leaving the cutting edges there and pin on a set of teeth and you're good to go

We do this to loader and backhoe / excavator buckets a lot ...the teeth cannot be splayed they have to be straight and parallel to each other

I should say i used to do this all the time ...going on 58 now and not doing as much welding as i used to ...Doing more operating and learning the new stuff now ...Getting lazy really

Running finish blade with GPS systems

Name:  20151117_121032.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  46.2 KB
    Backed my CATMA over your CARMA oops clusmy me

What would SATAN do ??

Miller Trailblazer 302 AirPak
    Miller Digital Elite
    Optrel Welding Hat
    Arcair K4000
    Suitcase 12RC / 12 VS
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Rage 3 saw
    Rusty old Truck

Post Thanks / Like

I didn,t think you were. But i chimed in anyhow.LOL