Thread: New member

Post Thanks / Like

Hi..new guy here. I've been welding for years using an old a/c stick welder. I'm not very good, but sufficient. Now thinking of upgrading, and getting into TIG. Hoping to learn from this forum. Also have a question I'll post on the appropriate forum.
    Located near Blackfoot, in southeastern Idaho. Thanks.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New member

Welcome to the forum Jim.
    Lincoln A/C 225
    Everlast P/A 200

Post Thanks / Like

hello jim ime new to this site as well,been welding over 50yrs now still enjoy melting metal,might i sugest trying mig as aposed to tig,as mig is far more forgiving,and the smaller sets are easy to chuck around,consumables are cheap and you can weld all sorts of rusty dirty metal and bridge large gaps,from my years of welding i think mig is the most useable form of welding,the one shortcuming is wind blowing the shielding gas,this can be overcome by using gasless fluxed wire,best to look for a machine that will use both gas x gasless,you wont need gasless if you work in a wind free workshop,if u go the gasless rout be aware the fumes are a bugger and dont breath them in,twink

Post Thanks / Like

Sent you a PM, twink.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

jim,got your pm,cant work out how to reply to it,so hope this gets to you,right to try and answer your questions,if you have thousands of $$ to spare you could get both mig--tig machines or a combined machine,as with any trade you tend to build up kit over the years,i have over 20 welders from tiny to very large,these are built up over 50yrs and used for many varied jobs,i dont quite understand what sort of metals you are working with or what thickness,i take it prospecting is in line with mining,if so you are working outdoors mainly with dirty wet muddy rusty twisted metal,must admit the rather thin ally sheet you mentioned has confused me,thin ally is one of the hardest things to weld on site,in a nice workshop with a mig or tig set up well its no probs,i did get myself a spool gun for ally welding as it only has to push the wire a few inches and not many feet,if you want to get realy silly as i did once you can weld tin foil with a plasma welder,-,good job i was not paying for the kit,

Post Thanks / Like

jim,you can get a tig kit to go on your standard arc welder,i have several,they are not to expensive can be a bit tricky to get the weld started up as most of the cheaper ones are touch or tap start this tends to ball up the end of the tig rod,so you spend time sharpening the rods but you will get the hang of it,try not to breath the dust from sharpening the rods as some of them are not very healthy for your lungs or your general wellbeing,you will have the added cost of a bottle of argon gas needed for ally tig welding,you can try a solution of borax and eggwhites painted on to the ally in the area to be welded the weld will be a bit ruff but will hold,works well with mild steel sheet i used it for years while repairing the panel work on trains,jim i can se i need to work out how to do the pm thingy.twink