Thread: Is this a good deal for a Synchrowae 250?

Post Thanks / Like

Is this a good deal for a Synchrowae 250?

Is this a good deal or just a decent deal? Not a lot of Tig welders come up for sale locally. Thanks in advance.

http://bend.craigslist.org/tls/5363687079.html

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is this a good deal for a Synchrowae 250?

I wouldn't pay $2K

Maybe $1500 max. Those machines don't bring nearly what they used to anymore.

IMHO of course

Post Thanks / Like

Steve is just angry at Syncrowaves in general.

I was going to say just the opposite, but maybe it depends on where you are located. That would be a pretty good deal around the northeast. I saw one yesterday that was air cooled for $1500, and it was the only sub-$2000 syncrowave I have seen in ages. Most around here are at least $2500 with a cooler. I would assume you could talk this guy down anywhere from $200 -$500 depending on your negotiation skills and how motivated he is to move it. if you grab it for $1500, to me that is a smoking deal. But again, maybe it is a rotten deal for the west coast. I can't say.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

I have about $1,400 into an older Sync 250 with a Coolmate 3. Bare-bones unit was $850. Little parts and accessories add up. $1,600-$1,750 would be enough. But it all depends on location and local market conditions.
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

Post Thanks / Like

Saw a clean S'Wave 250 here locally. Had meters, real nice cosmetically. Just the machine.

$800 on CL.

It sat there for months before it sold. I was tempted to scrape up the money and buy it, but the fact he couldn't move it for $800 was a pretty good indication that I likely wouldn't have much better luck trying to move it as a package for $1400-1600.

HGR regularly has them for $500-1200. 30 day return too. I've seen lots of ppl list them for $1500-2000 and months later they were still sitting there. I just laugh at the greedy fools putting them on CL for $2500-3K.

Good luck with that.

I've bought them for cheap, sold them in the $1500-1800 range for one clean and in good working order. Machinery isn't bringing what it used to.

$1500 for that package is a fair deal. They are good machines, just not for me.

IMHO of course
    Last edited by 7A749; 12-17-2015 at 07:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, was your experience with the newer ones or the older ones? I'm sure they fancied them up after some years to where they were harder to fix.
    SP-175 +
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Miller spot welder

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for the feedback. I think I'll pass if it's not a smoking deal. He says he just lowered the price and can't take a dime less. We were going to do a little trading a brand new Sig P238 Equinox and 1500.00 cash. I do have a Tig already (diversion 180) but was thinking I could grab this and sell the diversion and possibly get most my money back. I think I'll just let it go. I use the 211 most the time anyways. The Tig is mostly just in case. Thanks for the feedback.
    Last edited by TRENT; 12-17-2015 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Spell check sucks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldendum View Post
    Steve, was your experience with the newer ones or the older ones? I'm sure they fancied them up after some years to where they were harder to fix.
    I've had problems with the 250, 250DX, 500......

In every case it was a board issue. My first 250 smoked two boards, the 250DX one, the 250 I bought to resell still didn't work right after a $430 board repair, and putting a loaner board from a friend in it. Easily dumped 40 ++ hours labor in that machine. The 500 was one I worked on for a company. Something happened to it after I cleaned it. Board repair on that soaked me for over 30 plus hours labor and $175 out of pocket.

Yeah, I'm done with them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 7A749 View Post
    I've had problems with the 250, 250DX, 500......

In every case it was a board issue. My first 250 smoked two boards, the 250DX one, the 250 I bought to resell still didn't work right after a $430 board repair, and putting a loaner board from a friend in it. Easily dumped 40 ++ hours labor in that machine. The 500 was one I worked on for a company. Something happened to it after I cleaned it. Board repair on that soaked me for over 30 plus hours labor and $175 out of pocket.

Yeah, I'm done with them.
    So you think I'm better off keeping my Diversion 180 (light welding only)? I have friends with much larger Welders if needed.

Post Thanks / Like

The guy called back with a better deal. 1300.00 and the Sig for his welder, bottle and a bunch of consumables. Go or still a no?

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds quite reasonable. Figure the gun is worth around $400ish used? Retail looked to be $500-600ish bux on a quickie check.

For a plug and play package with a cooler, that's fair on a trade deal. Just try it out first and make sure everything is ok. Don't get me wrong, there's thousands upon thousands of S'Wave machines out there that are reliable and work just fine. I've just had a bad run with them and won't touch another one because of it.

That sounds good to me. Basically means you're paying $1600-1700 depending on the value of the gun. The cylinder is a bonus.

IMHO of course

Post Thanks / Like

You be the buyer with the money. Cash is king. I'd try for at least $100 less.
    SP-175 +
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Miller spot welder

Post Thanks / Like

In my experience, cash and trades are a tougher deal than straight up greenbacks.

When someone takes something on trade, you usually get less for it unless it's a mutually beneficial deal. In essence, they're doing you a favor taking your stuff instead of money.

That said, I would try and get it for less too, But it sounds like the guy isn't gonna go much less if any.

IMHO of course

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 7A749 View Post
    That sounds quite reasonable. Figure the gun is worth around $400ish used? Retail looked to be $500-600ish bux on a quickie check.

For a plug and play package with a cooler, that's fair on a trade deal. Just try it out first and make sure everything is ok. Don't get me wrong, there's thousands upon thousands of S'Wave machines out there that are reliable and work just fine. I've just had a bad run with them and won't touch another one because of it.

That sounds good to me. Basically means you're paying $1600-1700 depending on the value of the gun. The cylinder is a bonus.

IMHO of course
    Sounds good, I'm going to sleep on it. I'll be sure to post pictures if I end up grabbing it. Thanks again to all that chimed in.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool. It sounds pretty fair to me.

Good luck with it.