Thread: Newbie here from Leeds, England

Post Thanks / Like

Newbie here from Leeds, England

Hello all,

I'm a 24 year old currently working as a welder for a well known Oil and Gas company. I am currently working towards the HNC in Mechanical Engineering, as well as training in different welding principles.

Currently, I am coded (at a company level) in CNC Clad welding, Orbital Wire Feed welding and Autogenous welding, using the materials Stainless Steel, Super Duplex and Inconel. I am expecting to sent on courses to be coded in both manual TIG and Stick welding. In my previous job, I was a sheet metal worker, MIG welding both aluminium and mild steel.

I am hoping to further my career within welding in the near future. I have looked at a range of options, such as Welding Engineer, Weld Inspector and NDT. So far, I have found to have more interest towards an inspection role.

By joining this forum, I hope to further my weld knowledge by listening to more experienced and skilled personnel. I also hope that I can further enhance my contacts, and seek advice to furthering my weld career to one of the previously mentioned career paths. It is important to take the right advice in order to save time and money in seeking those goals.

So, if anyone would like to offer advice, I am always happy to hear things out, and I will look to contribute to other people where I possibly can.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie here from Leeds, England

Welcome. Very smart to not put all your eggs in one basket. One thing about manual labor jobs is that at some point it's very likely that your body will tell you it's not going to do that anymore. I cringe when I see posts if someone saying they are a couple years into a degree but are not going to finish because they don't like it and want to be a welder...
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Soutthpaw, glad to meet...yes, that is my reason as to looking at different options, doing manual work and the prospect of still working shifts in my fourties and fifties is not something that I look forward to...at my place of work now there is a Weld Development Centre, whom I and another apprentice have helped carry work out for, even writing a new procedure using 1.6mm Inconel wire...this was something I really enjoyed, and evaluating all the mechanical analysis (although I never got to carry out the analysis) was something that interested me...so I know that welding is something I aim to progress in, and work hard in doing so...I will continue to look at the best options for me, see if my current workplace will agree to send me on more courses, maybe such as the 3.0 CSWIP for inspection, and take things from there, all whilst gaining valuable experience and knowledge from the shop floor and other employees...of course, any other advice from here would be a major help, if anyone else has taken or is taking a similar route.

I have a few more months until I complete my HNC in Mechanical Engineering, so I will look at starting my progression more seriously from then on.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum.
    Lincoln A/C 225
    Everlast P/A 200

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome tobthe forum, best of luck with your career choice.