Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to me welder?????

Post Thanks / Like

new to me welder?????

Ok, I'm not a professional welder at any means. I had a Lincoln weld pak 120v Flux core welder and needed to upsize. So I picked up a welder it's an AO Smith power supply (arc welder I'm assuming) with a p&h cranes wire feeder on it. I bought new consumables for the tweco gun and hooked up my shielding gas and regulator. It's setup to run .045 wire, and I set wire speed, voltage, and inductance to a set of sharpie marks the previous owner has on the machine. And it doesn't lay down a very nice bead kind of just a worm on top of the steel. If I turn the wire speed down it spits and sputters. If I turn the voltage up it melts the wire and not really burns into the base metal. Any suggestions from the pro''s would be appreciated. Short of taking it to a weld shop and have them check it over I'm kind of stumped . Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: new to me welder?????

Iím not a professional welder either. Remember now all welders run a little different. These are the settings I like on my Lincoln V350-Pro with LF-72 wire feeder. With .045ď Lincoln L-56 wire.
    Flat 21.5 volts. 190 AMPS. 200 wire speed.
    Vertical up hill 19.0 volts. 145 AMPS. 125 wire speed.
    For over head welding I use the same settings for flat.
    Donít pay any attention to me
    Iím just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

There is a low, medium, high coarse voltage adjustment knob on the front. A fine voltage knob. And an inductance knob but nothing for amperage. I can adjust the voltage from 0-50 volts but when welding the amperage is only around 100 amps. If I can figure out how to post pictures I will.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello ford1386, your initial description of this machine somewhat indicates that it might be a 3 phase machine? if it is, do you have the correct input voltage and phase to operate it? Another thing: your amperage will be determined by the wire-feed speed, so increase the speed of the wire and the amps will increase, decrease the wire speed and you amperage will decrease.

Let everyone know what type of gas you are using, how many volts you are set to, and run the wire out of the gun for 10 seconds, measure the length that came out of the gun and multiply that by 6 that will give you the inches/minute of wire.

Also double check your input voltage connections and be sure that you have the correct voltages selected, also check as to whether the machine is 3 ph or 1 ph and that you have that sort of power supplied to the machine. Best regards, Allan
    aevald

Post Thanks / Like

Allan,

Thanks for the lengthy reply. The machine is hooked up to run on 230v single phase. I am an electrician by trade so I know that part is good. The amperage gauge doesn't read anything on the front unless I am welding but I played around with it some today and it seems to weld better when I'm running about 230 amps and pushing about 300 inches per minute of wire out. Seems like a lot to weld 5/16 steel but it laid a lot wider flatter bead than anything I have done so far. But still doesn't give a nice cursive e pattern.

Post Thanks / Like

The shielding gas is a master mix from airgas I believe it's 75/25

Post Thanks / Like

I have the gas set to 30 dont know if that's good for .045 or not

Post Thanks / Like

Start playing with the inductance control. That will allow the puddle to flow for flat welding, or dry the puddle right out for vertical up hill welding. Very cool option!
    Donít pay any attention to me
    Iím just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

Does the power supply look like this unit?

http://weldingweb.com/showpost.php?p=6361011

Post Thanks / Like

That is exactly it minus the yellow paint mine is green and says it's made by ao smith, but the wire feeder that sits on top is a yellow p&h unit. How do I post pics here?

Post Thanks / Like

I post pics using tapatalk from a phone, it other ways exist. Could you post your model number and pics?

Post Thanks / Like

Model A3000CP10260, downloading tapatalk now

Post Thanks / Like

Did you clean and check connections from power supply to feeder, feeder to gun, ground cable, replace contact tip, etc?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, yes ,and yes.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm gonna try to post a few pics

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

You tried it in medium and high ranges also?

Post Thanks / Like

Medium and seem like too much, it's just a trial and error thing there probably isn't anything wrong with it, I just don't know how to set it up yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you welded a lot with yours?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ford1386 View Post
    Medium and high seem like too much, it's just a trial and error thing there probably isn't anything wrong with it, I just don't know how to set it up yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Not really, just got it this summer. What region are you in, mine is in twin cities mn, and I bought it locally. It was set up with .035 wire when I got it.

Post Thanks / Like

Every weld I do is trial and error
    Everlast 250EX
    Miller 250 Syncrowave
    Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
    Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
    Grob 18 in Bandsaw
    Greenlee cut off saw
    Sanford surface grinder
    Deckel style Tool cutter grinder
    and 40+ yrs of etc,etc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ford1386 View Post
    Allan,

Thanks for the lengthy reply. The machine is hooked up to run on 230v single phase. I am an electrician by trade so I know that part is good. The amperage gauge doesn't read anything on the front unless I am welding but I played around with it some today and it seems to weld better when I'm running about 230 amps and pushing about 300 inches per minute of wire out. Seems like a lot to weld 5/16 steel but it laid a lot wider flatter bead than anything I have done so far. But still doesn't give a nice cursive e pattern.
    Could this be hot enough that you have moved from short circuit mig, to spray transfer?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure, I turn the wire speed down and I just get a narrow worm on top of the base metal, I'll try and play around with it some more this weekend and see if I come up with anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello 54stude, you've brought up a good point. If he's got the 75/25 gas and he's at the transitional voltage where it goes out of short-circuiting mode, he'll basically be in a globular transfer mode and the welds won't be so nice (he cannot reach a true "spray transfer" with that gas combination). Running hotter with this machine/wire combination will be much better if he can go with a 90/10 or 85/15 type of shielding gas. Just a few cents to add to the conversation. Best regards, Allan
    aevald

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not looking to do anything but mig weld though, and I thought this machine was a mig welder. I've welded with a snap on muscle mig 250 and it welded beautifully with a "eeeeeeeeeeeee" pattern. I'm not understanding how to get back to that. If I turn the wire speed back I just get a narrow worm on top of the base metal.