Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welding career?

Post Thanks / Like

Welding career?

Hi, I am interested in welding as a career choice. I am 16 years old and living in Ontario,I currently go to school and work at a farm doing hay. My dad was into aluminum welding and fabrication of mostly trailers and other aluminum work. He is not doing that these days but we still have all the welders and other shop equipment. Teachers and parents always want you to think about what you want do do for a job even though Im just trying to have fun while im young. I have been mig and stick welding for about 3 years now I have done quite a bit of welding and projects. I talked to my dad about welding and he was happy I have taken interest and said about working together this summer getting back into aluminum welding.

Im just not sure weather I will want to weld forever, I really like doing it but some days it just doesn't seem appealing and I Lose my interest. Also I have a problem of not caring how perfect it is with fit up and the work being square. I realize im only 16 so I will probably change in a few years about accuracy and caring more. I am also into farming and will be growing 50 acres of soybeans this year. My family are not farmers but I rent my uncles land and the neighbors to try farming, I have worked for farmers for years but it gets old stacking hay for minimum wage even though I dont mind the work. I am on my own financially for the farming my dad only helps with equipment repair and advice, he wants me to start from scratch and not have everything handed to me like some kids these days.

I was just wanting some insight in the welding and fabrication business and what I need to expect. I figure If I can land a job welding at a shop for a couple years and learn and get experience then try to open a shop on my own. I am leaning towards my own shop because I dont see myself working for someone forever. But having your own shop is alot of work.

2. Likes N2 Welding, John Baptist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welding career?

Be glad yours are giving you some freedom in what you go to- mine planned on me being a military officer, come hell or high water. It wasn't until almost fifteen years later that I finally got to learn what I really wanted to.

You're up in Canada, at the opposite end of the continent from me (Texas), so I can't give you much advice on school choice or getting into the job, but I would suggest learning as much as you can at home. If your dad can weld aluminum then he can teach you steel as well. Just start small, work those bead pads, and don't forget to practice those collateral skills as well. You never know when you'll be the only guy on the crew who knows how to swing a cutting torch.

Also, don't be "that guy" when you get to welding school. We had "that guy" in the second semester- he said he'd been welding since he was twelve, but if you asked him to weave on an open root, he'd get mad and go home.
    Currently working as a Paralegal, but still interested in hobby welding.

Miller Bobcat 225nt

One- Character Fractions: ⅛ ⅜ ⅝ ⅞

4. Likes N2 Welding, John Baptist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I appreciate my parents, I am very lucky to have the opportunity to learn right in my own shop. I understand what you are saying about "that guy" I already know a few people around school that act like that meanwhile I am thinking buddy your only 16-17 years old how much do you think you actually know about it.

6. Likes N2 Welding, John Baptist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You sound quite a bit like me.

Sounds like you can learn everything about the welding and business from your dad.

Good place to start.

IMO
    John
    Just a couple welders, big hammers, grinders, and torches.
    Work will free you.
    Men in dirty jeans built this country, while men in clean suits have destroyed it.
    Trump/Carson 2016-2024

8. Likes N2 Welding, John Baptist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Id take a look at your area where you live and find out what kind of work there is for welding and how many welders/apprentices there are in your area. Here in Newfoundland the market for welders is going to be flooded rather soon, once our big projects finish up.

Another thing you need to think about is what kind of money you hope to make at it and what kind of welder you want to be. I have gone from apprenticing at a boiler shop, moving to a repair/job shop, then on to heavy fabrication, and then into the UA.

Honestly if I had to do it over again I think I would have stayed at the repair/job shop. The money wasn't the greatest, but I wasn't travelling an hour or more each way for work, the work was steady and wasn't effected as much by the price of oil.
    Journeyman / Red Seal Welder (What a useless test)
    Miller CST 280
    Miller XMT 350
    Miller 12vs Xtreme
    Evolution Evo 28 mag drill
    Evolution 380 Dry Cut saw

10. Likes N2 Welding, John Baptist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Im 23 years old and when i was your age i started welding with my dad in his shop also. when i turned 18 i had the choice of going to collage for engineering because i was really good in math. i took all the Engineering classes highschool had available plus a collage calculus credit. My father had been working where I work now for 25 years and he got me an application for cleaning welds and shot blasting mil scale off steel. it paid $18.03 an hour so I took the job and gave up on collage. now ive been there 5 years and am a certified welder making a little over $26 an hr (55,000 a year). sometimes looking back i wish i took the collage rout but a lot of my friends from high school that took the collage rout didn't quite pan out now they live at home. Guess my point is it all depends on where you are going to weld and how much they pay an hr. A lot of other places around here only pay 15$ an hour to weld

12. Likes N2 Welding, John Baptist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the whole "college first" thing really hasn't panned out for a lot of us. About the only time I've gotten much use out of my B.A. was cheesing out of testing requirements for welding school (since I was considering going for an AAS in Welding at the time).
    Currently working as a Paralegal, but still interested in hobby welding.

Miller Bobcat 225nt

One- Character Fractions: ⅛ ⅜ ⅝ ⅞

14. Likes N2 Welding, John Baptist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

if you want to go into the steel fabrication biz make sure you have a plan B. this trade will chew you up and spit you out. if i was a young guy getting into (god know's why) welding i would also learn how to read prints and fit. i been in this racket for a few years and believe me when i say it's no fun squeezing into tight places to weld a leaking steam pipe at age 61. have your fun welding and making a ton of money now but be the guy walking around in a clean shirt holding a set of plans later.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I want to have a backup plan because of the fact that welding can be very hard on your body just as many trades are. I still have a while to figure it out but thought I would look into it now.

17. Likes N2 Welding, John Baptist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Still interested in hobby welding.

19. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just read your thread here for the first time and like the enthusiasm and ability to learn from your family and family owned equipment. Have you followed through with a welding career and if so how is it working out for you? Are you more adamant about having a good fitup now? What are some of the projects you have worked on that you are happy to have been a part of?
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    I just read your thread here for the first time and like the enthusiasm and ability to learn from your family and family owned equipment. Have you followed through with a welding career and if so how is it working out for you? Are you more adamant about having a good fitup now? What are some of the projects you have worked on that you are happy to have been a part of?

I think the OP got out of high school, started a job welding, got married and has had 3 kids since this thread was originally made. Mr ‘One Post Wonder’ excavated the thread from the grave yard for no apparent reason.

22. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    I think the OP got out of high school, started a job welding, got married and has had 3 kids since this thread was originally made. Mr ‘One Post Wonder’ excavated the thread from the grave yard for no apparent reason.
    While it is a post from the past the OP still is active here, so might still be welding.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leightrepairs View Post
    While it is a post from the past the OP still is active here, so might still be welding.
    Yep that is the first thing I did before posting. He was active within less than 24hours of me posting here. What do you say Nick, give us an update. Do you have 4 kids in tow?
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

25. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm still here! I never did get into welding as a career. I've been working steady on a farm operating equipment and during winter shop work repairing the equipment and still farm a few acres for myself as well.

I keep welding at home and odd jobs here and there. Do quite a bit of stick welding on the farm building wagons and loader attachments. Me and coworker built a bale grab with hydraulic hooks to handle small bales mechanically.
    And purchased a lincoln aspect 230 tig back last fall, learning tig now.I really do enjoy the tig especially on aluminum when it turns out nice. I still consider getting into some sort of welding but seems like time goes by so quick.. My heart is more into the farming but can be tough to make a decent living weather working for someone or on your own.

27. Likes N2 Welding, Dave66, _Weldman_, scsmith42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The low pay is a rod burner basically all you doing is welding.
    The higher paying is where fabrication and machine work.
    The highest pay is under water welding.

To me if had to do all over again is portable welding and line boring. It low risk and good money.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by nick121 View Post
    Hi, I am interested in welding as a career choice. I am 16 years old and living in Ontario,I currently go to school and work at a farm doing hay. My dad was into aluminum welding and fabrication of mostly trailers and other aluminum work. He is not doing that these days but we still have all the welders and other shop equipment. Teachers and parents always want you to think about what you want do do for a job even though Im just trying to have fun while im young. I have been mig and stick welding for about 3 years now I have done quite a bit of welding and projects. I talked to my dad about welding and he was happy I have taken interest and said about working together this summer getting back into aluminum welding.

Im just not sure weather I will want to weld forever, I really like doing it but some days it just doesn't seem appealing and I Lose my interest. Also I have a problem of not caring how perfect it is with fit up and the work being square. I realize im only 16 so I will probably change in a few years about accuracy and caring more. I am also into farming and will be growing 50 acres of soybeans this year. My family are not farmers but I rent my uncles land and the neighbors to try farming, I have worked for farmers for years but it gets old stacking hay for minimum wage even though I dont mind the work. I am on my own financially for the farming my dad only helps with equipment repair and advice, he wants me to start from scratch and not have everything handed to me like some kids these days.

I was just wanting some insight in the welding and fabrication business and what I need to expect. I figure If I can land a job welding at a shop for a couple years and learn and get experience then try to open a shop on my own. I am leaning towards my own shop because I dont see myself working for someone forever. But having your own shop is alot of work.

29. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My advice to you is to get some experience welding. Maybe take a course at the local college and get some simple tickets. Now comes the fun part. At this point you are wondering if you want to do this for the rest of your life.
    You should then look at these trades; ironworker hanging structural iron high up if you like heights and adventure. An ironworker who can weld is KING!
    Boilermaker or pipefitter: again if you have some welding experience the doors open for you. Unions will take you in right away.
    Heavy Duty mechanic ( technician) A heavy duty guy who can also weld will never be laid off.
    lots of other trades that need welders such a carpenter for welding the odd rebar and joining tilt ups
    I met one welding student who was going to start a refrigeration mechanic apprenticeship with his uncles. They needed a guy who could weld piping for Ammonia refrigeration in
    cold storage plants.

31. Likes akpolaris liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ironworker who can weld is KING
    I did not know that.
    I when thought college as a iron how did welding no college loans it pay off.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by lotechman View Post
    My advice to you is to get some experience welding. Maybe take a course at the local college and get some simple tickets. Now comes the fun part. At this point you are wondering if you want to do this for the rest of your life.
    You should then look at these trades; ironworker hanging structural iron high up if you like heights and adventure. An ironworker who can weld is KING!
    Boilermaker or pipefitter: again if you have some welding experience the doors open for you. Unions will take you in right away.
    Heavy Duty mechanic ( technician) A heavy duty guy who can also weld will never be laid off.
    lots of other trades that need welders such a carpenter for welding the odd rebar and joining tilt ups
    I met one welding student who was going to start a refrigeration mechanic apprenticeship with his uncles. They needed a guy who could weld piping for Ammonia refrigeration in
    cold storage plants.

Post Thanks / Like

If you combine welding with any number of other trades, skills or vocations you will round out your resume and desirability. Like mentioned here as a mechanic or as a machinist, A& P Mechanic, plumbing.....

Quote Originally Posted by lotechman View Post
    cold storage plants.

Post Thanks / Like

School's will sell anything for there bottom line and you pay the loan off.
    My my welding & machinist training was out books , at home with box rods then on job.
    Witch pay for drafting and engineering at college .

Dave

The Iron work and welding paid for college and no loans or Army.

Quote Originally Posted by akpolaris View Post
    If you combine welding with any number of other trades, skills or vocations you will round out your resume and desirability. Like mentioned here as a mechanic or as a machinist, A& P Mechanic, plumbing.....
    Last edited by smithdoor; 06-11-2021 at 02:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to do structural welding or anything involving pipe you will need to get trade tickets. You need to be an apprentice or journeyman to get those trade tickets. It is a big difference from a mechanic being able to weld. Not trying to be negative, welding is a great skill set to have but if you're trying to do multiple trades at the same time, chances are you won't be very good at either. You need to fully concentrate on 1 at a time. I've worked with some people who had multiple tickets. The ones who were good welders got their their other ticket(s) several years apart. That allowed them to concentrate on one trade and hone their skills before trying something else. One guy I worked with was a journeyman welder but also going for his steel/metal fabricator ticket. He kind of bragged about it... but was putting the cart before the horse. He wasn't a very good welder. I had the fun job grinding out his welds and redoing them. They should have been easy for a good 1st year apprentice. 4" pipes coming out of about a 6' diameter shell to mount the expansion tank on an oilfield heater. 1 pass around the pipes covered by a 2 pass cap. He had so much of a groove between the 2 cap pass beads they had to be completely ground off and redone. Welding is heavy, hard and dirty work but can be very rewarding. My welding teacher in school used to say that welding was the 2nd most skillful job requiring hand/eye coordination. 1st was a surgeon... only because if they make a mistake it could kill someone. A lot of people disagree with this but look at some of the jobs Ttoks has posted and they might change their mind. Not a lot of people can do that type of high precision work.

It's way too early to think about opening your own shop. You need 10 years or more experience unless you have a lot of requests for something you've designed and built and other people want. Owning a shop requires a multitude of different skill sets and has a multitude of potential problems. What ever you do, take pride in your work. Don't have a "good enough" attitude. Always try to do the best job you can even if it takes a little longer. You want to be a craftsman not a hack.
    Last edited by Welder Dave; 06-11-2021 at 02:45 PM.

36. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like ask anyone working with steel if can count to 20 use hands and feet.
    I will tell how safe they are doing there job. If only goes to 19 or less then opp's.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    If you want to do structural welding or anything involving pipe you will need to get trade tickets. You need to be an apprentice or journeyman to get those trade tickets. It is a big difference from a mechanic being able to weld. Not trying to be negative, welding is a great skill set to have but if you're trying to do multiple trades at the same time, chances are you won't be very good at either. You need to fully concentrate on 1 at a time. I've worked with some people who had multiple tickets. The ones who were good welders got their their other ticket(s) several years apart. That allowed them to concentrate on one trade and hone their skills before trying something else. One guy I worked with was a journeyman welder but also going for his steel/metal fabricator ticket. He kind of bragged about it... but was putting the cart before the horse. He wasn't a very good welder. I had the fun job grinding out his welds and redoing them. They should have been easy for a good 1st year apprentice. 4" pipes coming out of about a 6' diameter shell to mount the expansion tank on an oilfield heater. 1 pass around the pipes covered by a 2 pass cap. He had so much of a groove between the 2 cap pass beads they had to be completely ground off and redone. Welding is heavy, hard and dirty work but can be very rewarding. My welding teacher in school used to say that welding was the 2nd most skillful job requiring hand/eye coordination. 1st was a surgeon... only because if they make a mistake it could kill someone. A lot of people disagree with this but look at some of jobs Ttoks has posted and they might change their mind. Not a lot of people can do that type of high precision work.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey,
    If you're planning to choose welding as your career, the first step you should do is to get certified in welding. It helps you to explore career opportunities in fields with very competitive pay rates.
    You can join a professional welding training institute to learn new technologies and advanced skills. After completing the course, you will be able to gain knowledge and abilities in operating welding equipment and conducting basic welding operations.
    I wish you all the very best for your future.
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, there are a million different ways to get into "welding," from a minimum wage rod-burner in greasy coveralls, to a high tech NASA welder working on space rockets for $200 an hour. From the lone coyote with a welding truck, driving all over the country working on pipelines, to the businessman with a big welding shop with 37 employees. A lot of it just depends on you, your personal qualities and what you want to do. It's really kinda nebulous to just say "I want to be a welder" or "get into welding."
    -Ruark
    "Become one with the puddle, grasshopper" - Welding Instructor
    Lincoln 3200HD
    Hobart Stickmate LX235
    TWECO Fabricator 211i

40. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You are absolutely right. You need to work in this store for a while and gain experience. 2 years ago I started my own welding business. This is a professional welding tool shop. The only problem I faced was the problem with finances. At that time, I didn't have enough money for all expenses. Then I decided that if I really want to create my own business, I must go all the way. I took out a loan from kertaluotto.com on favorable terms. I knew how the welding business works because my father worked as a welder when he was young.My father gave me advice on how to manage finances, it helped me figure everything out.