+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Comparison of Stick Electrodes for Arc Welding Aluminum - Part 2

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Comparison of Stick Electrodes for Arc Welding Aluminum - Part 2

I feel Rick became quite proficient towards the end of his endeavor. The additional input from readers was educational as well. As an affectionado of the aluminum welding process, I found the entire diatribe quite interesting.

Some people collect stamps.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

personally i think Rick shows honesty and good character regardless of experience. he is comfortable enough in his abilities to show the worst and the best and listen to constructive criticism to make an attempt to improve. i'm sure that if his level of welding were to to reach perfection he would still be humble, unlike some of the weld gods that would never show anything but their best welds on here in order to retain their cloud walker status. as the saying goes, "to error is is human". i guess i'll never find that staircase to
    225NT bobcat
    AEAD200LE
    Scott 125
    mm175, mm252 w 30A, PT225
    mm211, TA 181i
    Hyper Therm 380, cut master 52
    9100X & XX, Digital Elite
    6 Victor sets
    smith little torch, meco midget
    kalamazoo band saw
    steel max saw
    evoulution circular saw

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snoeproe View Post
    Guys.
    What the experienced guys are trying to say to Rick is that his experiments lack merrit due to the fact the Rick doesn't have the skills to weld with stick. He continues to make bead after bead of awefull looking welds. By the look of every picture he has posted of his welds he is consistant at being inconsistant with his travel speed, rod angle and arc length..all no no's with stick welding.
    A skilled stick welder may make one bad bead, then he makes an adjustment to correct his poor actions. Rick just continues to make poor weld after poor weld which shows his inexperience. I would be embarased to post pics of welds that looked like Ricks on an online forum.
    The inexperienced newbies will continue to cheer on Rick for his actions but the experienced and skilled guys can see right through all this.
    These aluminum stick rods are very expensive and absorb moisture faster than 7018 does if improperly stored. If Rick wishes to continue waisting his $ on a process he will never use and noboby uses, it's entirely up to him.
    I just cant justify it myself.
    If you followed Ricks threads here you would see that he has taken the advice of the "experts" and is currently enrolled in a welding class at community college. He does it as a hobby and enjoys learning they taking a class purely out of his own desire to learn But as its not a career I suppose you would say he is wasting hie $500 on taking a class. geeze get a life
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
    If you followed Ricks threads here you would see that he has taken the advice of the "experts" and is currently enrolled in a welding class at community college. He does it as a hobby and enjoys learning they taking a class purely out of his own desire to learn But as its not a career I suppose you would say he is wasting hie $500 on taking a class. geeze get a life
    Amen.
    Joe
    Miller 140 Autoset (2010)
    Miller Syncrowave 250 (1996)

Post Thanks / Like

Rick has probably had more hood time with SMAW aluminum than 99% of the people on this forum. Yall are just jealous he has time to spend having fun making metal melt together!
    Last edited by Knappweld; 01-03-2012 at 11:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knappweld View Post
    Rick has probably had more hood time with SMAW aluminum than 99% of the people on this forum. Yall are just jealous he has time to spend having fun making metal melt together!
    The joys of being retired
    Now that he as finished his stick welding class we should see another round of welds on this at some point now Rick can put down a decent bead...
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.

Post Thanks / Like

Mark,

Wow, first post and you want to stick your wizzer in a electrical socket. Way to make friends!

Post Thanks / Like

I was looking on the web for anything about welding Aluminum with a Arc and found those silly Youtube videos and almost gave up. After going through part one and two I was really impressed with Rick V . I can't wait to make an Aluminum skid plate for my motorcycle and this information was excellent. I almost spit out my coffee when I read this
    If I have time I'll still futz around with the alum rods I have, but I'm not going out of my way to do so.
    Over the last 10 years I've learned so many things from doing searches on the internet. After trying a few times to clean a motorcycle engine found a thread on using Muriatic acid...worked fantastic. Bought a used motorcycle that was like new sitting in a garage for 8 years because the owner couldn't get it to go in gear. Found out it was a safety switch that took 5 minutes to adjust, paid $1200 for a bike that was worth double from information on the internet.

When I read some of the negative comments and then saw some guys saying "keep going" I was glad some people are not so negative.

Post Thanks / Like

Marty there is alot of grissle on here, but stick around and listen. You will find great info especially from some of the girssle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SundownIII View Post
    Want to weld aluminum?

Buy a freaking tig machine or buy a spoolgun for the mig.

The reason you "don't see more written" about stick welding aluminum, is the pro's know it's a second rate welding process.

I have yet to see a bead (from any poster) that I would call "acceptable". Yea, and blowing a hole in your base metal always results in a "strong weld". LMAO.

I guess some people still feel the need to stick their hand in the fire, even though they've been told it's hot and they'll get burned.

Both the "pro aluminum stick welders" would be better served learning to stick weld properly on steel rather than futzing around with aluminum.

Funny how ****heads like you seem to think you are obligated to read every thread and respond. It doesnt make your dick bigger, in case that's what you were thinking. Take a note from your ridiculous conservative ideology, express your "freedom" to not participate in his threads.
    Also, if this is what Rick wants to mess around with, where's the problem? this is a H-O-B-B-Y after all. But if you acknowledged that perspective, you wouldnt be able to go into work tomorrow and tell the other guys how stupid Rick is, and how badass you are. Bet I hit the nail on the head there.
    Last edited by tenpins; 03-04-2012 at 02:17 PM.
    Weldanpower 225 G7
    Ironworkers Local #24

Post Thanks / Like

heres some bird droppings for sunshine to make fun of,
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Longevity 160sx
    Lincoln 140 mig
    lincoln magnum spoolgun
    Victor torch and regulators

Post Thanks / Like

Alright,i posted my aluminum bird droppings. lets see some more .
    Longevity 160sx
    Lincoln 140 mig
    lincoln magnum spoolgun

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hog View Post
    heres some bird droppings for sunshine to make fun of,
    You like stirring the pot don't you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tenpins View Post
    Funny how ****heads like you seem to think you are obligated to read every thread and respond. It doesnt make your dick bigger, in case that's what you were thinking. Take a note from your ridiculous conservative ideology, express your "freedom" to not participate in his threads.
    Also, if this is what Rick wants to mess around with, where's the problem? this is a H-O-B-B-Y after all. But if you acknowledged that perspective, you wouldnt be able to go into work tomorrow and tell the other guys how stupid Rick is, and how badass you are. Bet I hit the nail on the head there.
    Are you that hard up for attention that you have to comment on a post that is a year old? You need to spend more time with your wife or more time investigating the lint in your belly button.

Post Thanks / Like

All right. Calm down everyone and don't fight on a Sunday.

Post Thanks / Like

I was about to put my arm up and call a "Delay Of Game" penalty but the HEAD ref has had his say..

PAY ATTENTION TO IT!

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Just because I'm a dumbass don't mean that you can be too.
    So DON'T try any of this **** l do at home.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Young View Post
    You like stirring the pot don't you.
    Sometimes, but i do think these aluminum rods can be used but they are a pain to keep lit and you gotta move fast with them,real fast. Slightest long arc and they blow a hole instantly in thin stuff.
    Longevity 160sx
    Lincoln 140 mig
    lincoln magnum spoolgun

Post Thanks / Like

Ok please read fully before a flaming attempt please and thank you....1) First of all Rick good on you for your perceverance and giving other hobbyists and new to welding a heads up on what to do and not to do, what works and what does not...2) To all who flamed him shame shame everyone has a right to post their views just because y'all are professional welders doesn't make this forum all about just you...3) to all the ones who keep saying spool guns that are supposed to be experienced welders ummm sorry but no due to one very prominent issue...the process of welding requires the melting of the parent alloy and the filler a mig moves to fast for this process and will either be weak or brittle with very little penetration and in some cases will not even with pre heating wich if your investing that amount of coin into a machine pre heating unless in steel multipass applications is very redundant will not remove again unless you pre heat and alchohol the oxidation layer wich makes TIG about the only decent affordable and with todays inverter machines, your best bet for hobbyists or weekend warrior welders which so far affordable wise only machines i would recomend would be the everlast 160sth or if in dire straits financially the everlast 140st both are arc/tig inverter tech and reasonably priced under 600 dollars each (140st is 300 without argon reg) only downfall to the 140 for tig is it is a lift arc start only the 160 i believe has option of lift and Hf. Thank you and sry if i offend anyone but bashing on a forum for trying an experiment is wrong no matter which way you toss it and those that were just trying to give helpfull suggestions very comendable the rest need to grow up what are you 5?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by [TNT]SPEEDY View Post
    .3) to all the ones who keep saying spool guns that are supposed to be experienced welders ummm sorry but no due to one very prominent issue...the process of welding requires the melting of the parent alloy and the filler a mig moves to fast for this process and will either be weak or brittle with very little penetration and in some cases will not even with pre heating wich if your investing that amount of coin into a machine pre heating unless in steel multipass applications is very redundant will not remove again unless you pre heat and alchohol the oxidation layer wich makes TIG about the only decent affordable and with todays inverter machines,

your best bet for hobbyists or weekend warrior welders which so far affordable wise only machines i would recomend would be the everlast 160sth or if in dire straits financially the everlast 140st both are arc/tig inverter tech and reasonably priced under 600 dollars each (140st is 300 without argon reg) only downfall to the 140 for tig is it is a lift arc start only the 160 i believe has option of lift and Hf.
    Thread is from 2012 btw.

You don't know what you are talking about, spool gun aluminum is done all the time.

You recommend tig for aluminum and then list DC only machines.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

ummm ok master welder have you not heard of flux coated electrode use with DC tig lift arc i guess you dont know what you are talking about or you would educate before retaliate and i have strength tested TIG vs. spoolgun and using a huge industrial press the spool gun welds failed almost imediately always to cold of a weld do to the speed a mig runs at and if you try to slow wire speed down you get bird**** welds or globbing and or burn through also i didnt even notice this thread was that old.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by [TNT]SPEEDY View Post
    ummm ok master welder have you not heard of flux coated electrode use with DC tig lift arc i guess you dont know what you are talking about or you would educate before retaliate and i have strength tested TIG vs. spoolgun and using a huge industrial press the spool gun welds failed almost imediately always to cold of a weld do to the speed a mig runs at and if you try to slow wire speed down you get bird**** welds or globbing and or burn through also i didnt even notice this thread was that old.
    *cough* Bullsh..*cough*
    Airco Ac/Dc 300 Heliwelder
    MillerMatic 200 (stolen)
    Miller Maxstar 150STL
    Miller Maxstar 161STH
    Miller AEAD200LE
    Hobart MIG
    Lincoln Idealarc 250

Post Thanks / Like

Troll??

Post Thanks / Like

So, he's saying he doesn't know how to run a spoon gun and his tests proved it?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AdVirMachina View Post
    So, he's saying he doesn't know how to run a spoon gun and his tests proved it?

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
    Yup sounds about right
    Airco Ac/Dc 300 Heliwelder
    MillerMatic 200 (stolen)
    Miller Maxstar 150STL
    Miller Maxstar 161STH
    Miller AEAD200LE
    Hobart MIG
    Lincoln Idealarc 250

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just a hobbyist, but I can get pretty good penetration with my spool gun.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist