+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Two car garage shop

Post Thanks / Like

Two car garage shop

The house I purchased has an attached two car garage plus a matching detaching two car garage. The detached has a high bay with car lift on one side. The other side has a room above it where the Ingersoll Rand shop air compressor sits as well as where I store most of my art and crap I make.

Unfortunately I do not have a garden shed so I had to make a platform to put all my yard tools and use the car lift to move them out of the way. As you can see from the pics I do not have a welding table and have thrown a piece of 1/8" plate on top of my table saw. It has worked so far but my goal is to make a table like Brooklyns Bravest has recently made.

I put most of my tools on casters so I can move them out of the way when I am not using them.

Name:  DSCF0316.jpg
Views: 1803
Size:  86.5 KBName:  DSCF0317.jpg
Views: 1842
Size:  65.0 KBName:  DSCF0319.jpg
Views: 1798
Size:  71.1 KB
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Two car garage shop

A few more views plus my scrap piles. I have various cylinders on the right, there is a trailer full of scrap metal, and then my pile of aluminum scrap

Name:  DSCF0318.jpg
Views: 1774
Size:  65.0 KBName:  DSCF0320.jpg
Views: 1775
Size:  62.7 KBName:  DSCF0321.jpg
Views: 1769
Size:  67.3 KBName:  DSCF0324.jpg
Views: 1775
Size:  88.5 KBName:  DSCF0325.jpg
Views: 1757
Size:  82.9 KB
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like you have enough tools to keep you happy
    If I member right those cylinder are for your wind chime supply!

have fun
    DIY CNC Plasma table USB BOB Price THC
    Hypertherm 65
    Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acourtjester View Post
    Looks like you have enough tools to keep you happy
    If I member right those cylinder are for your wind chime supply!

have fun
    You remember right. Right now I am mostly doing lamps, bells and wind chimes with some scrap metal art every once in a while

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I had a lot of stuff packed into a small space!

Nice building tho. You got lots of nice toys, uh I mean tools

Post Thanks / Like

The lift is cheating

Sent from mobile. Not responsible for Typos
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

Any of those fire extinguishers actually work? I didn't see any in your shop. Might want to take some of that scrap and build a rack or throw a chain around those unsupported cylinders with no caps on them. I love the lift with the load of stuff on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gundog77 View Post
    Any of those fire extinguishers actually work? I didn't see any in your shop. Might want to take some of that scrap and build a rack or throw a chain around those unsupported cylinders with no caps on them. I love the lift with the load of stuff on it.
    Some of the extinguishers in the scrap pile are completely full. Others not so much. I do need to bring a good one inside the shop for emergencies.
    Once I posted the pics I knew I was going to get caught not having the cylinders chained or secured. One of the unsupported cylinders is for the MIG. The MIG cart holding the MM 175 is that cheap one from Miller and can't really support the weight of a full size cylinder. I have been holding off building/buying a bigger cart since I want to upgrade to a MM252.
    The second cylinder is full of Helium and I use that for the Dynasty. I use the helium when I am making items out of old aluminum scuba tanks. I have been looking at modifying the Dynasty cart to hold two cylinders.

I am going to move those loose cylinders over behind the door so they can be secured the right way.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
    The lift is cheating

Sent from mobile. Not responsible for Typos
    I kick myself sometimes since over the last couple of years I have had to work on the brakes of my truck or change a tire and end up getting the floor jack and jack stands since the lift is being used.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

Loads of unused space in that garage. Keep your eyes open for some pallet racking and make a shelf on the wall just above the windows for a lot of extra storage. Lots of times when places like Depot/Lowes do remodels they trash a lot of decent pallet racking. For lighter stuff, the double slot adjustable shelf standards and brackets are great if a bit pricey. You can push a lot of that stuff up in that unused area over the windows and clear up a lot of floor space.

Nice selection of cylinders there on the pile. If that silver alum 40 I see there is any decent, they make a great portable air cylinder for nail guns etc. I can get a couple decent fills on my small 19cf pony from one of my bigger Scuba cylinders for stuff like that so I don't need to drag in the pancake compressor to drive a few nails for one or two pieces of trim.

Overall, nice looking shop. I'd love to have something that size with 2nd floor storage space. Question: does the lift go high enough that you could have a hatch in the ceiling for 2nd floor access? I've thought about that, or a set of double swing doors on the side of the 2nd floor so that larger stuff could be brought up to the 2nd floor. Your outside stairs saves you loosing floor space for that, but being able to get bigger stuff upstairs would be really nice.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

DSW, Great eye and thanks for the compliments. That is indeed a 40 you see. In aluminum I have everything from 6cuft argon bottles all the way up to 100 cuft. I recently made a piggy bank out of an old short, fat 80. I have steel scuba tanks and cylinders from a couple of cuft all the way to full size welding bottles. I have been very lucky and have been given a dozen or more scuba tanks and even a couple of welding cylinders over the years by people who just want to clean out their closet or garage.

I also have a few cylinders set aside for portable air tool use for those exact reasons. I use an old Conshelf 14 first stage so I can dial the intermediate pressure to what the tool requires. That has even saved my bacon on the side of a road once. So much easier, faster and safer to use air tools when you need to change tires of the side of the road.

I have a brand new box of the double slot racking sitting of all places on top of the car lift. That and more racks will be put to use when I can finally build a 16'x32' addition on the back of the shop. I need to get my daughter out of grad school first.

The car lift goes up enough so that I could probably use it to bring items up to the second floor but I never thought of making a door. The first couple of years of business I was carrying everything up and down the stairs whenever I went to an arts and craft show. That grew old real quick when you are carrying a total of 1000 pounds or more up and down the stairs each time, so I purchased that white box trailer behind my truck. I usually keep my inventory in that for half the year. Now I unload the trailer for the winter and don't have to load it again until later this spring when the show season starts back up.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    DSW, Great eye and thanks for the compliments. That is indeed a 40 you see. In aluminum I have everything from 6cuft argon bottles all the way up to 100 cuft. I recently made a piggy bank out of an old short, fat 80. I have steel scuba tanks and cylinders from a couple of cuft all the way to full size welding bottles. I have been very lucky and have been given a dozen or more scuba tanks and even a couple of welding cylinders over the years by people who just want to clean out their closet or garage.

I also have a few cylinders set aside for portable air tool use for those exact reasons. I use an old Conshelf 14 first stage so I can dial the intermediate pressure to what the tool requires. That has even saved my bacon on the side of a road once. So much easier, faster and safer to use air tools when you need to change tires of the side of the road.

I have a brand new box of the double slot racking sitting of all places on top of the car lift. That and more racks will be put to use when I can finally build a 16'x32' addition on the back of the shop. I need to get my daughter out of grad school first.

The car lift goes up enough so that I could probably use it to bring items up to the second floor but I never thought of making a door. The first couple of years of business I was carrying everything up and down the stairs whenever I went to an arts and craft show. That grew old real quick when you are carrying a total of 1000 pounds or more up and down the stairs each time, so I purchased that white box trailer behind my truck. I usually keep my inventory in that for half the year. Now I unload the trailer for the winter and don't have to load it again until later this spring when the show season starts back up.
    How do you cut your propane tanks? Any pictures of your wind chimes?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    MyWeldingShop.com
    Syncrowave 250
    Millermatic 200
    Millermatic 90
    linclon idealarc 250
    linclon sp135
    Linclon SA-200
    Linclon SA-600
    Esab 875

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MyWeldingShop View Post
    How do you cut your propane tanks? Any pictures of your wind chimes?

I cut the scuba tanks and any thick wall tanks on the horizontal bandsaw. I cut the fire extinguishers and thin wall tanks with my DeWalt dry cut chop saw.

I have some large acetylene and various propane tanks that I have not touched. I have seen a few videos of accidents and between that and some of the threads and comments on here, I am not willing to take a chance on them exploding. If you do cut propane, make sure you are careful.

Here are some pics of the bells.

Name:  bell sizes.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  49.8 KBName:  DSCF9508.jpg
Views: 1126
Size:  85.8 KB
    Name:  scuba tank bells.jpg
Views: 1116
Size:  33.5 KB
    Last edited by psacustomcreations; 03-11-2016 at 07:50 AM.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

MyWeldingShop, since you were talking about the thickness of the tanks in the bandsaw thread, here are some pieces of wall art and sculptures made from rings of tanks. some are from aluminum 80's others from various steel tanks.

Name:  P1040916.jpg
Views: 1119
Size:  49.4 KBName:  scuba tank sculpture 5.jpg
Views: 1163
Size:  107.8 KB
    Name:  DSCF9407.jpg
Views: 1116
Size:  34.5 KBName:  Abstract scuba tank ring art 2.jpg
Views: 1119
Size:  19.0 KBName:  Yard Art.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  75.1 KB
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool!

MyWeldingShop.com
    Syncrowave 250
    Millermatic 200
    Millermatic 90
    linclon idealarc 250
    linclon sp135
    Linclon SA-200
    Linclon SA-600
    Esab 875

Post Thanks / Like

Why not get a couple of trailer axles to put under to platform? Or the spindles and build the support for them has a drop axle. That way you could roll it out when needed. That would make your platform a movable .
    Klutch 220si mig , stick, and dc tig
    Hobart 140
    AHP ALPHA 200X 2016
    Lotos LTP5000D
    Smith O/P

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tinker001 View Post
    Why not get a couple of trailer axles to put under to platform? Or the spindles and build the support for them has a drop axle. That way you could roll it out when needed. That would make your platform a movable .
    I put six of the harbor freight 10 inch pneumatic swivel caster/tires on the platform to roll it out. If you look at the pic you can see the center ones are still in place. I took the front and rear ones off since I kept hitting my head on them.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I'm a little jealous of your shop space and lift...but your artwork has really got me glowing green!!! I'm always amazed at the skills of folks on this forum and your creativity with circles is top notch! BTW, what process are you using to weld the aluminum and steel together in your artwork?
    Dillon/Henrob/Cobra 2000, Victor 100FC, Meco-N-Midget, Hobart HH187, Miller Thunderbolt 225AC, Razorweld Vipercut 30A Plasma, and lots of grinders

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I am using mig on the steel and tig on the aluminum. I probably wasn't clear on my description. All the ring art work posted is using aluminum scuba tanks and various aluminum tubing. I have made many of the same items using steel rings.
    When I tig the aluminum I am often at 200 amps on the Dynasty and I use 100 percent medical grade helium since an aluminum scuba tank is 1/2" thick

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

What got you started using the rings? Bad tone using them as chimes?

MyWeldingShop.com
    Syncrowave 250
    Millermatic 200
    Millermatic 90
    linclon idealarc 250
    linclon sp135
    Linclon SA-200
    Linclon SA-600
    Esab 875

Post Thanks / Like

When I started making items out of scuba tanks I often had a section in the middle that wasn't used. I needed to figure out a way to use that portion and came up with this idea.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

I have quite a bit of material sitting on the floor. I was getting tired of stepping on it and having a piece of round bar roll under my foot so I made some brackets to attach to the ceiling. I should be able to get a decent amount off the floor. Some of the material is good sized like 2"x2" solid square bar and then a whole bunch of stainless so that may not be able to go up there. Its a start at least.

Name:  20160316_154304.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  42.0 KBName:  20160316_180528.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  92.6 KBName:  20160316_190920.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  34.6 KBName:  20160316_190946.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  32.2 KB
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't like how short the hangers turned out so I added 2 feet to them. I had to do that so they could be screwed into the joist at two points. Turns out they used micro laminated joists, not 2x12. This allowed me to drop the hangers a foot.

I am now able to clean the floor for the first time in a couple of years. Turns out I have 100 feet of 1 inch solid stainless hexagonal bar plus a bunch more stuff I picked up from an auction.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

Other side view. I had to put the really big stuff on the car lift platform.
    That is some 2 inch solid square and some big round bar.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist