Thread: Need radiator cap for old G-261 Hobart!!

Post Thanks / Like

Need radiator cap for old G-261 Hobart!!

I must have lost the radiator cap on the way home from the seller's place, which is 2 hours away, so I'm looking for another one. The mouth of the radiator opening is 2 1/4" ID with a 3"OD. The teeth/lugs on the cap point out, not in. Thanks! Lee Butcher (showme)
    "When I rest, I rust" Old German proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need radiator cap for old G-261 Hobart!!

Quote Originally Posted by showme View Post
    I must have lost the radiator cap on the way home from the seller's place, which is 2 hours away, so I'm looking for another one. The mouth of the radiator opening is 2 1/4" ID with a 3"OD. The teeth/lugs on the cap point out, not in. Thanks! Lee Butcher (showme)
    I would be pretty sure that Napa Auto Parts could find one for you. I'm pretty sure Gates also would make one. It's been a while since I looked in a Gates catalog...But as I remember they still serviced caps for many antique vehicles.
    If you still hit a road block...Then I would go to a radiator repair shop. Push comes to shove, they could modify something for you. But that would be a last resort IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

IME the auto parts stores are kinda worthless if they can't look it up on their computer. Just went thru this a few days ago for a new cap for my 60's vintage IR air compressor. Had better luck with a radiator shop that specialized in heavy equipment and semis.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried the local NAPA, and we looked through their book, but nothing was close. I'll have to check out Gates inventory. I called a local old tractor repair/parts place today, but they said they don't do Farmall Cubs, which I've been told will match up to these. And the ones that I've found on ebay all seem to have too small of an outside diameter. I've looked under 1965 Hobart, G-261, Willy's CJ2A, but still no luck. My local radiator repair guy told me that if I couldn't find one that I could come down and we would play 'treasure hunt' in his old building next door to his new shop. I know just as soon as I find something and pay dearly for it, I'll see the old one laying on the side of the road somewhere. Thanks, guys!
    "When I rest, I rust" Old German proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Check Steiner Tractor online catalog for Farmall Cub parts.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.kaiserwillys.com/

I've seen a cap like you describe. I just cant remember where. It may have been a truck cap. In any case...If it were me, I'd go to a well established radiator shop which has been in business for years. There should be someone there who can help you either find a cap or solder a newer neck which accepts a more conventional neck.

Post Thanks / Like

This sounds more like a fuel filler cap. I've seen a few caps of that style on older farm equipment that didn't run a pressurized cooling system. They may have had provisions for a slight amount of pressure.

Nevermind. I see Slob answered this question in a Hobart thread.
    Last edited by 12V71; 03-06-2016 at 01:09 PM.