Thread: ESAB and Scott-Gross get an A+ on warranty

Post Thanks / Like

ESAB and Scott-Gross get an A+ on warranty

Well, my ESAB MiniArc 161LTS inverter welder started making a loud "pop" when turning on the power. I was 2 yrs., 9 mos. into the 3 yr warranty, go figure. Well, this turned out very well.

I called both ESAB and Scott-Gross (the LWS I bought it from) to see about what could be done...repair, replace?? The next day, Scott-Gross contacted ESAB, filed a warranty claim and ESAB sent me a new, in-the-box welder, no questions asked. Picked it up today! Great service on honoring the warranty. ESAB never waivered at all, and probably decided the fastest and most practical solution was to provide a new welder (not a referb!). Scott-Gross (in Springfield, MO) was great in handling the warranty work with ESAB. So..., not all warranty issues end up in the ditch.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: ESAB and Scott-Gross get an A+ on warranty

Well, too bad it didn't last longer, but excellent news on getting a new one
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious, does this new welder come with an additional 3 year warranty or does it only have 3 months of the existing warranty remaining?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    Well, too bad it didn't last longer, but excellent news on getting a new one
    Dave, the welder was still working flawlessly, but the "pop" on the switch concerned me and with the warranty about to expire, I thought it best to get it taken care of now. I was welding with it 3-4 times a week before I took it in. ESAB and the LWS agreed that something was wrong and agreed to swap them out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
    I'm curious, does this new welder come with an additional 3 year warranty or does it only have 3 months of the existing warranty remaining?
    I neglected to ask, but I presume that there is not a new 3 yr. warranty since I didn't pay for a new welder. As for the remainder of the original warranty, I'll have to ask. I was just pleased beyond belief to get a new welder...didn't want to rock the boat!!

Post Thanks / Like

ESAB told me that when they replace the welder it doesn't reset the clock on the warranty. Not even the 100 day satisfaction guarantee.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smason View Post
    ESAB told me that when they replace the welder it doesn't reset the clock on the warranty. Not even the 100 day satisfaction guarantee.
    Makes sense. Else you would have people intentionally breaking their machines at a month before the warranty expires. It is from date of purchase or delivery if original purchase etc so you didn't purchase the warranty replacement machine.
    Tiger Sales: AHP Distributor www.tigersalesco.com
    AHP200x; AHP 160ST; MM350P, Spoolmatic 30A; Everlast PowerTig 185; Thermal Dynamics 60i plasma.
    For Sale: Cobra Mig 250 w/ Push-pull gun. Lincoln Wirematic 250

Post Thanks / Like

You have a good point, but I feel that a warranty replacement machine should have at least a short warranty (15 or 30 days or something similar) to account for infant mortality issues. I know that I've had one or two instances of receiving a warranty replacement for a defective item, and the replacement has another issue...

Quote Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
    Makes sense. Else you would have people intentionally breaking their machines at a month before the warranty expires. It is from date of purchase or delivery if original purchase etc so you didn't purchase the warranty replacement machine.

Post Thanks / Like

thats how warranties are handled across the board, whether a welder, car, water heater, basically anything with a warranty..

Post Thanks / Like

I spoke with ESAB when the replacement came in and there is no additional warranty with the replacement welder. I was just thrilled to get a new replacement!! BTW, the original warranty just expired on the original, so with getting a new welder, I am more than pleased with the ESAB warranty. It worked as it should have.

Post Thanks / Like

My 161 was missing the "sample pack of electrodes". When l contacted them, they sent me a 10 pound can do 3/32 Atom Arc 7018's!
    Eventual master of the obvious, practitioner of "stream of consciousness fabrication". P.S. I edit almost every post because because I'm posting from my phone and my fingers sometimes move faster than my brain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedanman View Post
    My 161 was missing the "sample pack of electrodes". When l contacted them, they sent me a 10 pound can do 3/32 Atom Arc 7018's!
    That was cool of them. I had the sample pack of those with mine. The Atom Arc's welded ok, but I still prefer Excalibur's. One can't argue with free electrodes from ESAB.

Post Thanks / Like

i was looking to buy the esab 161 lts cause it runs 6010 and can connect to 120 or 240 volts
    just waiting for my HF $200 tig/stick welder to stop working. i have had it a year now and it still runs very good except it runs 6010 poorly. works good with most 6011 rods.
    still esab machine around $500 and same money will buy 800 lbs of steel and can actually make something. sometimes hard to not be a adult toy collector. knowing my luck the HF welder will last over 10 years

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WNY_TomB View Post
    i was looking to buy the esab 161 lts cause it runs 6010 and can connect to 120 or 240 volts
    just waiting for my HF $200 tig/stick welder to stop working. i have had it a year now and it still runs very good except it runs 6010 poorly. works good with most 6011 rods.
    still esab machine around $500 and same money will buy 800 lbs of steel and can actually make something. sometimes hard to not be a adult toy collector. knowing my luck the HF welder will last over 10 years
    Yeah, the ESAB 161 runs 6010's just fine. I prefer to run those instead of 6011 for that type of rod; just a personal preference.

Post Thanks / Like

161 runs 6010 as well as my Idealarc!
    Eventual master of the obvious, practitioner of "stream of consciousness fabrication". P.S. I edit almost every post because because I'm posting from my phone and my fingers sometimes move faster than my brain.