Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help on what plasma cutter to get - eventually I want to build a CNC

Post Thanks / Like

Help on what plasma cutter to get - eventually I want to build a CNC

Hey Guys,

So I want to buy a plasma cutter for small projects but playing the long game, I would love to build my own CNC machine eventually (for hobby).

I figured I might as well buy a plasma that will meet my future goals.

Any suggestions? Is the Spectrum 625 X-TREME any good? or maybe a Hypertherm 65?

Thanks,

~Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help on what plasma cutter to get - eventually I want to build a CNC

Probably looking at cutting 1/2" material

Post Thanks / Like

I see a lot of people using just about every brand out there. Some of them work all of the time for their users, some of them never get working right, some work sometimes and not others... Hypertherm always works. When I thought about all of the money I spent to build my table the choice was pretty easy even though they are really expensive. I had an Eastwood versacut60 that I was playing around with that was actually a pretty nice machine but advertised on their website as not being compatible with CNC. I sold it and got a Hypertherm PM65 and I have to admit it's twice the machine the Eastwood was. I say bite the bullet.
    Millermatic 180

Hypertherm PM65 083300
    CandCNC Dragon Cut Linux 620-4 Bundle with Linux Computer
    Precision Plasma Magnum HD 5x5 Gantry kit

Post Thanks / Like

You know just about everyone with a CNC ends up with a hypertherm sooner or later. There is a reason why.
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    Esab ET220i
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    Tormach 770, Tormach xstech
    Razorweld, Vipercut/Vipermig, SSC Foot Pedal Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

this is the one you want to buy it has both hand and machine torches at a great price.
    Hypertherm Powermax 65 with 75 Hand Torch / 180 Machine Torch 083300
    go to welders source they have a great price free shipping save lots over the local guy.
    And big plus on the DIY CNC table many have done it.
    DIY CNC Plasma table USB BOB Price THC
    Hypertherm 65
    Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

Post Thanks / Like

Tom is right on Weldersource.com but Harris will match that offer too..Not on their site, but they will for sure..

Perfect opportunity to re-post what I wrote today on another forum ..This is not what I heard, but what I have found out on my own.... I will be bashed into a bloody pulp by going against the grain somewhat. Only because people put $$$ down and expect the machine they bought is the best there is period!!! ..Depends, is what I say.. If some of you guys with the Hypertherm 45/65/85 will prove me wrong it, would be ok by me..Very nice machine but not perfect. Could be close with some low amp nozzle options.. In response to the same type of question .... I really sold my A-120 to get a new 3 year warranty. That's always nice is if you can do it. Paid $1408 for the A-120, so rolling it over was fine, and I did not take a beating on it. Saw one last month go for about the same price.. Lot of times $2000.00 new in box, four year warranty. No bad, and just a great deal for the few that get it.. I do not consider 2.8-3.0 of bevel to be excellent on .250 either.. Cut face might look great, but there is other things that make a great cut.. If you own a belt sander, then you can get most of these pieces with 2.8-3.0 to work for you.. They are generally correct on the top, and flair out on the bottom. Art work is one thing, and cutting to get as close to the actual finished size for other things, is a different deal all together.. I also like the 50-55 amp nozzles very well on the cutmaster.. Sure wish there were some 30-35 amp nozzles for the 85/65 not fine cut but standard ones..I think then would see what I get out of the cutmaster. I say 35 amps, so it would cover the .250 range with the lowest bevel possible..Then you will have a much better machine for certain things..Sometimes it's not about making things cut as fast as possible. not everybody wants 5000 ft per second cutting speed, but want parts that are as good as air plasma can be.

Depends what you are cutting in my opinion.. Since I owned a few on my table, I have a pretty good feel of what works.. First off the Hypertherm is a very nice machine, with good support, same with Esab, and Victor. I owned many thermal dynamics, and Esab cutters.. (Have a ebay one coming soon)Just bought a Hypertherm 65 with a hand torch/machine torch, because my friend had good luck with his 85 since 2011.. Both CNC, and hand torches. Same with the Esab 1600, and Thermal A-120 I just sold.. I think I understand what those machines strength/weaknesses are better then most..

The Esab is discontinued, so not in the playing field right now..They were spotting on reliability on the Polish built machines.. Awesome when setup correct, and just great cuts overall.. many amp nozzles to pick from, and that is a huge plus..Excellent parameters for quality cuts. (CNC)

Hypertherm, great power supply,simple to setup (mostly)excellent torch, but limited amp sizes to match the amps to the thickness being cut.. New nozzles are coming out that should help in that regard..(hope so)very good to excellent parameters for quality cuts. (CNC)

Victor /Thermal dynamics toughest to get good cuts on a CNC table. Partly from not having that good of parameters in the manual. Likely more dross when cutting, over the Esab, and Hypertherm. All have decent consumable life.. Cutmaster gets most of it's bad rap from not thinking out of the box,and also not using the factory CNC air pressures... When set up correct it can do things the Hypertherm cannot do. (IMO) The 10ga/.190 even somewhat thicker, are some of the best cuts I have ever seen from any air plasma. If any of you guys would like to post some hypertherm cutting those thickness be my guest. I put one of the standard 45 amp shielded I cut today. (used finecuts too) Not as forgiving on 10ga as standard 45 amp cuts. Please show the bevel you are getting.

Few Pics. Hypertherm right, Cutmaster left..Plus a .190 I did a while back.. Until Hypertherm comes up with lower amp nozzles for the 65/85 series. it's always going to have more bevel to its cut.. Nice cuts, but not even close the quality you get with of the victor 30 amp nozzles. The .500 holding up the .135 hypertherm cut is nice, and no complaints at all. You can do the same with the Victor if you know what you are doing. Hypertherm at book/ best quality specs. That is not going to happen using the victor book or to high of amp nozzles.. It will get ugly until you know what you are doing.. Learning curve is much longer overall. Worth it, but not easy either..

People that had both usually will say the cutmaster is a POS, but they did not understand to how to setup the cutmaster correctly.

I will be buying a cutmaster 52,and putting the automation interface card in it to make a A-40 with my SL-100SV machine torch It will be one nice back up to the 65, and if I need the best quality cuts on certain materiel noted above..The hyper could of used a bit more speed to clean the edge up. but bevel would not get better, only worse.. Factory 100ipm .060 cut height.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Brand X; 03-13-2016 at 11:11 PM.
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    Thermal LM-200/ Lincoln feeders
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Pak 50
    Thermal 35C
    Thermal 15c
    INE 1500
    Klutch 220i
    Blue Demon/140 msi/90sti

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a test cut (Hypertherm 65) by using 45 amp shielded nozzles on .500 MS.. The idea is the same as using low amp nozzles on 10ga etc.. It works well..Just need the options to do so.. cut at 20 ipm.. Looks very Similar to the cut face(little bit more bevel but nice on this hyper) I would get with the Esab 1600 using 70 amp nozzles @32 ipm. I could get about the same with the cutmaster with the 70 amp nozzles, slower like 26 IPM.. It's interesting to me how the different machines kind of arrive at the same quality with completely different setups..

Now please get those new nozzles out pronto..
    Last edited by Brand X; 03-14-2016 at 12:57 AM.
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Pak 50
    Thermal 35C
    Thermal 15c
    INE 1500
    Klutch 220i
    Blue Demon/140 msi/90sti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acourtjester View Post
    this is the one you want to buy it has both hand and machine torches at a great price.
    Hypertherm Powermax 65 with 75 Hand Torch / 180 Machine Torch 083300
    go to welders source they have a great price free shipping save lots over the local guy.
    And big plus on the DIY CNC table many have done it.
    Its a nice unit. How about the PM 45? I see it is CNC compatible, but doesn't have the air pressure control. I guess my worry is that extra $1000 could get me that much closer to my own CNC in the future...

Post Thanks / Like

Hold off ,there is talk of a new unit.. I would not pull the trigger on a 45 just yet.. Watch the net and watch for discounts on the 45..Then you know it will be close.. Have a feeling it might address some of the issues I have brought up.. You will do just fine with the older air system on the 45. (IMO) You can see what 45 amps cuts like, those were pretty much Powermax 45 parameters. I am thinking a power boast, better torch design over the 45, and more options on consumables.. Only makes sense to me...we will see I guess. Reason I went with the 65, because I figure there will be some help for it soon also..
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Pak 50
    Thermal 35C
    Thermal 15c
    INE 1500
    Klutch 220i
    Blue Demon/140 msi/90sti

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Hypertherm will most certainly upgrade the PM45, like they did their PM30 last year or two....But I doubt you will have any warning like stated above.

That is no problem for my uses....I have the older PM30, and a current PM45. For a short period of time I bytched that if I had waited a few months I could have purchased the new PM30XP...But I got over it quick because the older PM30 of mine just cuts and cuts and cuts and ain't not ever let me down...Same for my PM45.

I have tried other brand plasmas. There simply is not yet another brand that I KNOW will support me 10 years from now like Hypertherm will. They truly don't exist.

Does the Hypertherm offer best cut quality and capacity-yada,yada,yada?.....Maybe not, but the one thing about them you can count on is THEY STAND BY their machines and continue to offer parts and consumables for many, many years compared to all the brands I know of.

So if today, there is a plasma that does it a little better, will you be able 5 years from now to buy stuff for it? I sincerely doubt it.

Hypertherm cutters are INDUSTRIAL grade machines. Even their little PM30XP is designed. constructed and supported as exactly that...Yes there are a few other makers that also target the industrial market, but not here in USA like Hypertherm.

Hypertherm is totally employee owned and those that work there eat and sleep plasma and will remain with that company their whole lives....You will not find that culture with Victor, Esab, or the other competitors.

I DO NOT LIKE BUYING imported tools, but there are so few real tools left here that are actually made here that I often must buy imported...Like the frigging Chinese Jet belt grinder I just bought....But when I see a great company like Hypertherm and Ellis making world class stuff and employing my fellow Americians, then I go that route PROVIDING what they sell is great quality at reasonable price.

Post Thanks / Like

Brand X,

Not sure how you are getting the bevel you show in the pics......be happy to help you improve on it with your 65! Here is 1/2" cut with the 45 amp shielded process. For specs on materials thicker than 1/4" (that you want best angularity on ) use the cut specs from the Powermax45....they work perfectly with the 45 amp shielded consumables on the Powermax65, 85 and 105 as the process was mapped from the 45 design, You can pierce 1/2" all day long with the 45 amp process assuming your height control will accurately set pierce height.....you can also push the 45 amp process to pierce 5/8" if you are careful. If you want to see edge squareness on thinner materials....I will go out in the shop and cut a few samples using the 85 at lower amperages. Jim Colt

1st pic is the Powermax45 cut chart, 2nd is 1/2" as cut (including holes) with the 45 amp shielded process, 3rd is 1/4" indicating hole quality and edge squareness.

Name:  45ampchart.jpg
Views: 1683
Size:  48.6 KBName:  IMG_2948.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  51.1 KBName:  IMG_2360.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  48.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    Tom is right on Weldersource.com but Harris will match that offer too..Not on their site, but they will for sure..

Perfect opportunity to re-post what I wrote today on another forum ..This is not what I heard, but what I have found out on my own.... I will be bashed into a bloody pulp by going against the grain somewhat. Only because people put $$$ down and expect the machine they bought is the best there is period!!! ..Depends, is what I say.. If some of you guys with the Hypertherm 45/65/85 will prove me wrong it, would be ok by me..Very nice machine but not perfect. Could be close with some low amp nozzle options.. In response to the same type of question .... I really sold my A-120 to get a new 3 year warranty. That's always nice is if you can do it. Paid $1408 for the A-120, so rolling it over was fine, and I did not take a beating on it. Saw one last month go for about the same price.. Lot of times $2000.00 new in box, four year warranty. No bad, and just a great deal for the few that get it.. I do not consider 2.8-3.0 of bevel to be excellent on .250 either.. Cut face might look great, but there is other things that make a great cut.. If you own a belt sander, then you can get most of these pieces with 2.8-3.0 to work for you.. They are generally correct on the top, and flair out on the bottom. Art work is one thing, and cutting to get as close to the actual finished size for other things, is a different deal all together.. I also like the 50-55 amp nozzles very well on the cutmaster.. Sure wish there were some 30-35 amp nozzles for the 85/65 not fine cut but standard ones..I think then would see what I get out of the cutmaster. I say 35 amps, so it would cover the .250 range with the lowest bevel possible..Then you will have a much better machine for certain things..Sometimes it's not about making things cut as fast as possible. not everybody wants 5000 ft per second cutting speed, but want parts that are as good as air plasma can be.

Depends what you are cutting in my opinion.. Since I owned a few on my table, I have a pretty good feel of what works.. First off the Hypertherm is a very nice machine, with good support, same with Esab, and Victor. I owned many thermal dynamics, and Esab cutters.. (Have a ebay one coming soon)Just bought a Hypertherm 65 with a hand torch/machine torch, because my friend had good luck with his 85 since 2011.. Both CNC, and hand torches. Same with the Esab 1600, and Thermal A-120 I just sold.. I think I understand what those machines strength/weaknesses are better then most..

The Esab is discontinued, so not in the playing field right now..They were spotting on reliability on the Polish built machines.. Awesome when setup correct, and just great cuts overall.. many amp nozzles to pick from, and that is a huge plus..Excellent parameters for quality cuts. (CNC)

Hypertherm, great power supply,simple to setup (mostly)excellent torch, but limited amp sizes to match the amps to the thickness being cut.. New nozzles are coming out that should help in that regard..(hope so)very good to excellent parameters for quality cuts. (CNC)

Victor /Thermal dynamics toughest to get good cuts on a CNC table. Partly from not having that good of parameters in the manual. Likely more dross when cutting, over the Esab, and Hypertherm. All have decent consumable life.. Cutmaster gets most of it's bad rap from not thinking out of the box,and also not using the factory CNC air pressures... When set up correct it can do things the Hypertherm cannot do. (IMO) The 10ga/.190 even somewhat thicker, are some of the best cuts I have ever seen from any air plasma. If any of you guys would like to post some hypertherm cutting those thickness be my guest. I put one of the standard 45 amp shielded I cut today. (used finecuts too) Not as forgiving on 10ga as standard 45 amp cuts. Please show the bevel you are getting.

Few Pics. Hypertherm right, Cutmaster left..Plus a .190 I did a while back.. Until Hypertherm comes up with lower amp nozzles for the 65/85 series. it's always going to have more bevel to its cut.. Nice cuts, but not even close the quality you get with of the victor 30 amp nozzles. The .500 holding up the .135 hypertherm cut is nice, and no complaints at all. You can do the same with the Victor if you know what you are doing. Hypertherm at book/ best quality specs. That is not going to happen using the victor book or to high of amp nozzles.. It will get ugly until you know what you are doing.. Learning curve is much longer overall. Worth it, but not easy either..

People that had both usually will say the cutmaster is a POS, but they did not understand to how to setup the cutmaster correctly.

I will be buying a cutmaster 52,and putting the automation interface card in it to make a A-40 with my SL-100SV machine torch It will be one nice back up to the 65, and if I need the best quality cuts on certain materiel noted above..The hyper could of used a bit more speed to clean the edge up. but bevel would not get better, only worse.. Factory 100ipm .060 cut height.
    Last edited by jimcolt; 03-14-2016 at 08:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Cutmaster 52, love it, dependable, easy to use, reasonably priced consumables, what more could you ask for!

Post Thanks / Like

Jim the torch is sq to the plate,speeds are correct, thc is stable, and at the right height. Air is super clean. I have also seen the same thing on my friends 85 when I brought him down 45 amp consumables.we were cutting 11ga at that time. THC off on the small test pieces. Direction is correct too. I really should not of posted the cutmaster 30 amp 10ga,.190 pics because it was with many years of setup, and stumbling into that just by accident.. I have gotten decent cuts with the fine cuts, but kind of hit ,and miss with those consumables.. Probably great on thinner low amp cutting,but 10ga is right on the edge for those. (IMO)I played quite a while with different parts, since I have them all for the finecuts.. I will try to lower the amperage on the standard consumables, (new) and see if things change. I have both styles of electrodes to use too..I will try un-shielded today, just give it a go.. Maybe the new shield is not in spec? Sure looks good,and is the one that came on the torch from the factory.. My consumables are factory for sure. Bought from Harris, in factory packages. you can see on the .500 that I cut, it not off by much.. I would think a bad shield would show up there too.. I am open to improve what I am getting out of this machine.The steel is cut is what I cut with the victor..Kind of takes that out of the mix somewhat.. I am not disappointed too much because I think 11ga to .190 is some of the hardest stuff to cut bevel free with any air plasma machine.. Might take a while to get improvement there.

The Cutmaster 52 is a solid machine, that for sure.. The Powermax 85/65 are excellent too. It's a very well designed Modern power supply with real good power. I have zero problems with how it works.. You get your $$$ worth with both..

What I would like to see is what kind of edge squareness the 30 amp consumables in a Powermax 45 provide on 11 ga to .190.. I am guessing it will be one of the better ones you can come up with. Not talking lowest dross/speed of cut, kerf width, or longest lasting consumables.. One parameter of edge angularity only.. If you can do it as well with the 85, I sure will be surprised.
    Last edited by Brand X; 03-14-2016 at 12:48 PM.
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Pak 50
    Thermal 35C
    Thermal 15c
    INE 1500
    Klutch 220i
    Blue Demon/140 msi/90sti

Post Thanks / Like

Few more thicker ones from the Esab @70 amps.. (Book specs with THC on)It's extremely straight cut ,excellent cut face that will match the 45 amp cuts I am getting now..(cut face quality) If the machine was in warranty, I would still have it.. Just can't risk it, until Esab gets there stuff together.. .500, and .625. They know how to build a damn fine torch that's for sure.. Just can't have $3000.00 + machine blow up on me.. I think the last one was fixed (gave me a new one) but who really knows ? Should of bought the 5 year warranty. Esab was excellent at dealing with problems. With the Hypertherm I will probably not have those problems. It's a safe route for me now.. Victor will do a great job with it's 4 year warranty also. I figure I will be able to improve my cuts over time.. Just by Tweaking some things..It's not that I cannot figure things out, and I totally don't know wtf I am doing.. I just come from a different place then most that bought one or two cutters, and it's the S##TS because It just has to be..:jester Artwork cutting but still want it the way I want it..
    Last edited by Brand X; 03-14-2016 at 03:00 PM.
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Pak 50
    Thermal 35C
    Thermal 15c
    INE 1500
    Klutch 220i
    Blue Demon/140 msi/90sti

Post Thanks / Like

Easy question to answer again, " Hypertherm " See !

Post Thanks / Like

You may want to look into the NU-TEC SYSTEMS plasma cutters. They are made here in the USA in Gurnee, Il.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    Brand X,

Not sure how you are getting the bevel you show in the pics......be happy to help you improve on it with your 65! Here is 1/2" cut with the 45 amp shielded process. For specs on materials thicker than 1/4" (that you want best angularity on ) use the cut specs from the Powermax45....they work perfectly with the 45 amp shielded consumables on the Powermax65, 85 and 105 as the process was mapped from the 45 design, You can pierce 1/2" all day long with the 45 amp process assuming your height control will accurately set pierce height.....you can also push the 45 amp process to pierce 5/8" if you are careful. If you want to see edge squareness on thinner materials....I will go out in the shop and cut a few samples using the 85 at lower amperages. Jim Colt
    The biggest problem I'm experiencing with my PM65 is angular cuts on edges and holes ... only exception is 3/8" AR400 that stuff cuts to the book setting really nice ....have played with the settings for ms ... today I cut some 5/16 ms and it was terrible ... I also go thru 65 amp shields like candy.... the metal pools and almost sucks into the shield on the A36 sheets ... I've used close to 15 shields since I got the 65

So if I understand you say get 45 amp shielded consumables and go by the 45 book for better cuts?
    Located In SE Oklahoma
    Lincoln Mig 135
    Hobart Ironman 230 Mig
    5x10 CNC Table with DTHC & FT
    Hypertherm PM65 on the table
    Miller Bobcat
    www.caneyagequipment.com

Post Thanks / Like

How about sending some pics of the horrible cuts, some pics of your used consumables....an idea of the cut specs....and I'll help you get it sorted out. 5/16" is some of the easiest to cut, AR400 cuts with the same quality/angularity as mild steel, and the 65 amp shield (which is the same as the 45 and 85 amp shield) should last for around 50 nozzle/electrode changeouts. If you are damaging shields I can almost guarantee your pierce height and/ or pierce delays are not correct. Let's improve your cuts! Jim Colt Hypertherm

Here is 1/4" with what you get for holes with the 45 amp shielded process.....with correct pierce height, correct cut height, good motion and running at 60% recommended speed (all holes under 1" diameter) dimensions show top to bottom taper...these were sized for bolts to drop through. Outside perimeter was cut at book speed / height.

Name:  dimensions.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  106.4 KBName:  boltsin.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  108.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by blueriver View Post
    The biggest problem I'm experiencing with my PM65 is angular cuts on edges and holes ... only exception is 3/8" AR400 that stuff cuts to the book setting really nice ....have played with the settings for ms ... today I cut some 5/16 ms and it was terrible ... I also go thru 65 amp shields like candy.... the metal pools and almost sucks into the shield on the A36 sheets ... I've used close to 15 shields since I got the 65

So if I understand you say get 45 amp shielded consumables and go by the 45 book for better cuts?

Post Thanks / Like

BrandX....later this week I can get out in my shop and I'll cut some 3/16" steel (.187) with the 45amp shielded and the Finecut (which are rated to 10 gauge, but do a nice job up to 1/4"). I don't have my 45 on a machine currently.....so I probably won't have the time to cut with the 30 amp parts....they won't do as well as the Finecut anyway. Any other cuts you want to see with the 85 (which cuts the same as the 65 and 105 at their respective power capability). Jim Colt

Was cutting some granite today along with some .060" stainless on one of our waterjets. Agonizingly slow.....but absolutely gorgeous cuts!

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    Jim the torch is sq to the plate,speeds are correct, thc is stable, and at the right height. Air is super clean. I have also seen the same thing on my friends 85 when I brought him down 45 amp consumables.we were cutting 11ga at that time. THC off on the small test pieces. Direction is correct too. I really should not of posted the cutmaster 30 amp 10ga,.190 pics because it was with many years of setup, and stumbling into that just by accident.. I have gotten decent cuts with the fine cuts, but kind of hit ,and miss with those consumables.. Probably great on thinner low amp cutting,but 10ga is right on the edge for those. (IMO)I played quite a while with different parts, since I have them all for the finecuts.. I will try to lower the amperage on the standard consumables, (new) and see if things change. I have both styles of electrodes to use too..I will try un-shielded today, just give it a go.. Maybe the new shield is not in spec? Sure looks good,and is the one that came on the torch from the factory.. My consumables are factory for sure. Bought from Harris, in factory packages. you can see on the .500 that I cut, it not off by much.. I would think a bad shield would show up there too.. I am open to improve what I am getting out of this machine.The steel is cut is what I cut with the victor..Kind of takes that out of the mix somewhat.. I am not disappointed too much because I think 11ga to .190 is some of the hardest stuff to cut bevel free with any air plasma machine.. Might take a while to get improvement there.

The Cutmaster 52 is a solid machine, that for sure.. The Powermax 85/65 are excellent too. It's a very well designed Modern power supply with real good power. I have zero problems with how it works.. You get your $$$ worth with both..

What I would like to see is what kind of edge squareness the 30 amp consumables in a Powermax 45 provide on 11 ga to .190.. I am guessing it will be one of the better ones you can come up with. Not talking lowest dross/speed of cut, kerf width, or longest lasting consumables.. One parameter of edge angularity only.. If you can do it as well with the 85, I sure will be surprised.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    How about sending some pics of the horrible cuts, some pics of your used consumables....an idea of the cut specs....and I'll help you get it sorted out. 5/16" is some of the easiest to cut, AR400 cuts with the same quality/angularity as mild steel, and the 65 amp shield (which is the same as the 45 and 85 amp shield) should last for around 50 nozzle/electrode changeouts. If you are damaging shields I can almost guarantee your pierce height and/ or pierce delays are not correct. Let's improve your cuts! Jim Colt Hypertherm

Here is 1/4" with what you get for holes with the 45 amp shielded process.....with correct pierce height, correct cut height, good motion and running at 60% recommended speed (all holes under 1" diameter) dimensions show top to bottom taper...these were sized for bolts to drop through. Outside perimeter was cut at book speed / height.
    Thanks Jim ... I will take pics tomorrow and email them to you along with the cut specs ... again thank you.
    Located In SE Oklahoma
    Lincoln Mig 135
    Hobart Ironman 230 Mig
    5x10 CNC Table with DTHC & FT
    Hypertherm PM65 on the table
    Miller Bobcat
    www.caneyagequipment.com

Post Thanks / Like

Email is jim.colt@hypertherm.com We'll get it figured out. Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by blueriver View Post
    Thanks Jim ... I will take pics tomorrow and email them to you along with the cut specs ... again thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

It's only a pissing match here, because some people think they know whats best for everybody.. Expect sub par performance. Not on your life..
    Low edge angularity is part of a quality cut on all thicknesses.. Glad you are happy and know it's not possible with your system. I expect more, that's all.. I had other machine in over 12 years of cutting, so you point is about worthless to me, and zero help to improve what I am getting...
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Pak 50
    Thermal 35C
    Thermal 15c
    INE 1500
    Klutch 220i
    Blue Demon/140 msi/90sti

Post Thanks / Like

'' Check the pics I posted and, explain what's sub par about them.''

Ok Mick I found the problem, '' TRIUMPH '' , You need a '' REAL'' motorcycle name. BMW ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mick120 View Post
    Yeah mate, I've seen some of your replies regards Hypertherm before and, it seems the brand really pushes your buttons.
    Check the pics I posted and, explain what's sub par about them.
    The thinner stuff looks unexceptionable for one thing. The thicker stuff is not my issue, and know it will work well enough. Besides it's my machine, and I expect it to match what I can get with two other brands.. You have no experience with other quality brands on your table, so you are not the one I need info from. Just too much above your pay scale, that's all..
    Esab/Lorch ET-220i
    Esab 160i caddy
    Esab CV353
    Thermal 60i- 3phase
    Pak 50
    Thermal 35C
    Thermal 15c
    INE 1500
    Klutch 220i
    Blue Demon/140 msi/90sti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mick120 View Post
    Maybe so, maybe not.
    Fact of the matter is, I was offering advice to the OP, not you plus, I was showing him what I've observed during my short 12 years of CNC cutting.
    The problem seems to be, whenever the name Hypertherm is mentioned on the forum, you tend to come in, all guns blazing.

Kind of makes me wonder what the X stands for in your name?
    Well mate, I can see it now, 12 years might just place you beyond a apprentice. Just because your machines runs 9 hours a day doesn't make you a expert.
    Oh, isn't that ran by a computer program ???? I bet all your issues are caused by a '' BRAND X '' program. Maybe consider REAL software !

As for '' BRAND X '' , I will not accept substitutes, I buy the REAL thing or will not buy it . I learned long ago buying cheap shlt for a one or two time use will suffice but if you want to use it again and again buy the REAL one. I think those ALDI stores sell ALL BRAND X items.