+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lincoln ranger 8 problems again.

Post Thanks / Like

Lincoln ranger 8 problems again.

My ranger 8 will run at full idle fine. The auto idle is not working at all when you flipped the switch it stays at high idle. The cylanoid is not stuck and is clean. Yesterday while I was welding. It just idled down and when you stopped welding it would idle back up. But as soon as you struck a arc it would idle back down. It does not sound like it is bogging down when you weld because it sounds like it is still running good. The auto idle has been giving me problems for awhile it would work with a grinder but not welding. I always cleaned the one wire running from weld stud up and it would work but then got to where that didn't work. And now nothing works on the auto idle. Any info would be greatly appreciated.. thanks in advance.
    Equipment:
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Lincoln Power Mig 255
    Miller Diversion 165
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Victor Pro Series Torch set
    Tons of other shop supplies

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lincoln ranger 8 problems again.

I had the same problem with my Ranger 8. The idle control circuit is very resistant sensitive. So if you have the least bit of a bad connection somewhere in the circuit the idle control circuit it will not work. There are two parts to that circuit one of the commonly goes bad as you know is on the negative output stud wear that grey wire connect to the back of the negative output stud this is the most common area for corrosion or bad connection but the other possibility is up on the tabs for your output ranges you'll see another gray wire connected to one of the tabs I don't remember which tab you'll have to look at your circuit diagram for the Ranger 8 to see what I want to say it's wired number to 244 but that's just from memory you will have to look in your linkage schematic. Also check the connecting pins going into the circuit board you may find some corrosion or bad connections there too. Although if I was to put my money on where the problem is I would free clean and connect the connection on the negative output stuff that you've already fixed because of the damp environment that stud lives in being on the bottom of the machine they corrode too fast. Also check the connections on your welding cables as they are part of the circuit as well.
    Hope this helps you good luck!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist