Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Truth

Post Thanks / Like

The Ultimate Truth

Hello Everyone.

First of all I would like to introduce myself. My name is Noah Z Brock and I am a metal sculptor. I graduated from Florida State University in 2009 with a Bachelors of Science in Studio Art. I first started welding in 2005 when I was a freshman at FSU. I mostly taught myself how to do everything I do, although there were a few key helpers along the way. I MIG weld almost everything because most of my projects don't require anything else.

My latest sculpture project is destined for downtown Chattanooga, TN as part of their "Art on Main" exhibition. It will be put on display for two years on the sidewalk on main street. I started building on July 1st and I just dropped off the sculpture at the sandblaster August 15th. This is by far the most challenging project I have taken on.

My website: http://noahzbrock.com/

Please take a look at my Facebook page for all of the build pictures.
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3832224&type=1
    But here are a few

This is my proposal:

The Ultimate Truth gets its name from the Buddhist belief that “form is emptiness, emptiness is form.” Everything can be perceived as empty because everything is changing. It is only when we break everything down that we realize what we are. This concept is emulated in the sculpture through the broken down structure of the teardrop shape. It is made of over 400 rings that make it one object and many at the same time. Looking at and through this form combines its elemental feel with the surroundings. It inspires the viewer to think more about the intangible world. The form also inspires rebirth since it represents one of the basic building blocks of life, water.

I found out I was accepted on June 29th. Installation will be the first or second week in September. Keep in mind I work 40 hours a week on top of this.
    This is by far the largest and most substantial sculpture that I have ever done.

This is my progress so far:

designed in Rhino 3d

build base and transport stand

400ft of .125"x1" flat bar
    140ft of .25" round bar

base ring mounted

bottom of the guide

I laid out a grid to form the top parts of the guide from my 3d model

AutoCAD WS on my ipad2

forming the top guide pieces

looking down

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Ultimate Truth

the guide mostly complete

12" diameter rings ready to weld

grinding jig

23 12" rings finished

more rings

this is how I'm making the circles

more 8" cirlces

Post Thanks / Like

I made little triangle shaped plates that fill the gaps between the circles around the base circle. This added so much strength to the whole structure that it can now be climbed.

I started constructing the transport frame

This is my solution to the stability of the structure. I cut templates out of cardboard and transferred them onto .125 steel, cut them out with a jigsaw, then welded from the bottom.

This is my friend using the cold cut saw that I recently got access to. This allows me to precisely cut pipe sections easily. It takes roughly 2 minutes per cut, but when compared to rolling, welding, and grinding, this is much better.

40 pieces of 3" schedule 10 pipe. Took about 2 hours to cut these

de-burred an ready to weld

starting on some 4" sch. 10. I have to cut halfway and then flip it in order to cut all the way through. The maximum cut on the saw is 4".

Post Thanks / Like

sculpture inspectors

Post Thanks / Like

on the trailer ready to go to sand blasting

at the sandblasters

There are more pictures on my Facebook page if interested.
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3832224&type=1
    Last edited by nzbrock; 08-16-2011 at 08:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

That's nice..

You get all the fun jobs..

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Just because I'm a dumbass don't mean that you can be too.
    So DON'T try any of this **** l do at home.

Post Thanks / Like

bravo true work of art i salute you
    Lincoln Power Arc 4000
    Thermal Arc Fabricator 252 i
    Thermal arc 186
    Thermal Arc 26 tig
    Tweeko 200 amp spool gun
    Hobart AirForce 400
    WP-17V-12R

Post Thanks / Like

You have a true talent and even more patience! No way could I sit still long enough to do that. My A.D.D. would have me up a wall.

I think you have my exact Coldsaw but yours is in better condition than mine!

Nice work.
    http://jackalopefab.com/
    MM210
    Synchrowave 200DX
    Miller XMT350 w/60series feeder
    Miller Bobcat 250 with SGA 100 and spoolgun
    HTP Plasma
    Full Machine shop with everything

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool piece!
    Buy American, or don't whine when you end up on the bread line.

Post Thanks / Like

Very original; that piece of art will fit rite in with the atmosphere in downtown Chattanooga. I live about 5 minutes from there, and it's a great little city. Where was this art contest held at??

Post Thanks / Like

I often don't understand "art", but that is simply amazing. (stunning and awe inspiring come to mind)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DemonSpeeder View Post
    Very original; that piece of art will fit rite in with the atmosphere in downtown Chattanooga. I live about 5 minutes from there, and it's a great little city. Where was this art contest held at??
    The contest was a public call to artists. This was the first year that Chattanooga accepted entries from out of state. My proposal was one of 13 selected out of 94 entries.

I did not start building until I was accepted and I have spend every night and every weekend until now building this sculpture.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I am always open to constructive criticism as well.

There was a ridiculous amount of out of position welding in this sculpture. Many welds were done by pointing the gun directly at my mask and viewing the weld from the back side.

I can actually fit inside the sculpture. I did not plan this but I found out I can fit through a 12" diameter circle. This definitely helped to weld the final base plate in.

Post Thanks / Like

By the way:

I am driving up from Tallahassee on Septemeber 1st, installing on the 2nd, and there is a reception on the 3rd. The reception will be 4-6pm at the Crash Pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you know where you sculpture will be placed in Chattanooga, what street etc??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DemonSpeeder View Post
    Do you know where you sculpture will be placed in Chattanooga, what street etc??
    It will be on Main Street. I am not sure on the exact location and I may not find out until I am up there.

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet, I'm from Ringgold!

Post Thanks / Like

Dude, thats just plain cool
    [Account Abandoned 8/8/16 Please Do Not Attempt Contact Or Expect A Reply]. See you on YouTube! -ChuckE2009

Post Thanks / Like

Your art is some nice stuff. I have a local artist around the corner and it looks like giant lego's. Just plain and boring in my eyes.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice! I like how you transferred the curves for your armature.
    Welding/Fab Pics: www.UtahWeld.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard of artists who put themselves into their work but I think this is the first time I have actually SEEN it! Stunning.

(Retired) Professional firefighter, amateur everything else I try to do...
    Oh yeah: Go Big Red! (You know: one of the 12 members of the Big 10 cuz we left the 10 members of the Big 12...)

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing Noah!!! Welcome to the site. I love your work. "Future Vision" is really great too. Nice site. Gonna add it to my bookmark collection for sure. Can't wait to see more!
    200amp Air Liquide MIG, Hypertherm Plasma, Harris torches, Optrel helmet, Makita angle grinders, Pre-China Delta chop saw and belt sander, Miller leathers, shop made jigs etc, North- welders backpack.

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool to see the process develop. One question though... My ignorance of such things is showing but I'm curious why you chose to endure the long cut times associated with the cold cut saw? Would an abrasive chop saw have distorted the Sch. 10 pipe or was it another reason that you avoided putting that much heat into the smaller circles?

Thanks for posting the great photos!

Eric

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welding_Swede View Post
    Very cool to see the process develop. One question though... My ignorance of such things is showing but I'm curious why you chose to endure the long cut times associated with the cold cut saw? Would an abrasive chop saw have distorted the Sch. 10 pipe or was it another reason that you avoided putting that much heat into the smaller circles?

Thanks for posting the great photos!

Eric
    The abrasive saw I have access to is terrible. The cut will be off by as much as 1/4" and it would take just as long. I would also be covered in sweat and metal dust by the end of 10 cuts, not to mention 200-300 that I did. I compared it to time rolling, welding, and grinding and it was much better. I can also use the cold cut saw in a clean, air-conditioned shop, so it was a much more comfortable experience.

The limit on the roller was 3" diameter. And even rolling circles that small was rather difficult. Then I would have to grind the inside weld down using a die grinder.

I even priced out having all of my smaller circles cut by the metal supplier, came out to be $2500....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mick120 View Post
    Noah,
    Just had a look at your site as well.....some really nice work.
    Future Vision is slightly reminiscent of Anish Kapoors work, Dismemberment Site 1, located at Alan Gibbs "The Farm" art collection in New Zealand.
    If you haven't checked it out, it's well worth a look.

http://designisborn.com/?p=1431
    Wow that is very cool. I hope to be able to build that big someday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nzbrock View Post
    I even priced out having all of my smaller circles cut by the metal supplier, came out to be $2500....
    holy shinto! You need a new metal supplier. Mine has a big digital horizontal band saw that has an auto advance, so they just set it and forget it.
    ........I see a horiz. band saw in your future.
    200amp Air Liquide MIG, Hypertherm Plasma, Harris torches, Optrel helmet, Makita angle grinders, Pre-China Delta chop saw and belt sander, Miller leathers, shop made jigs etc, North- welders backpack.