Thread: Paint for a smokehouse firebox

Post Thanks / Like

Paint for a smokehouse firebox

I built a firebox out of a propane tank and some 4" pipe for my small smokehouse (pictures later). The firebox will sit outside and of course have fire in it. Is there a paint and primer that will hold up to the heat and the environment or will I often be repainting it to keep from having a rusty firebox?
    Usually I use Rustoleum primer and paint, I've never had luck with their high temp stuff on tractor mufflers so I can't imagine this firebox would be any different. I'm thinking I may just go for the vintage rust, so far I have no cost into this firebox other than a few beers, welding rods and a few hours in the evening and I don't want to put much into paint either.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint for a smokehouse firebox

I have had luck with Rustoleum barbecue and grill paint. It is a little shiny until it goes through a heat cycle and it smokes during the first heat cycle.
    Eventual master of the obvious, practitioner of "stream of consciousness fabrication". P.S. I edit almost every post because because I'm posting from my phone and my fingers sometimes move faster than my brain.

Post Thanks / Like

What primer did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Go to an auto parts supply and get some VHT spray paint. VHT stands for Very High Temperature, and is made to go on headers. It is made to withstand 1800+*. No primer involved with this paint, just be sure to follow curing instructions on the can for it to work. This will involve heating to lower temps, first and letting it cool before heating it again, just read the label. You will need to remove all the original paint before applying it to bare steel.

That looks more like a Freon tank you have, not a propane tank. If so, it is a thinner metal than a propane tank.

Post Thanks / Like

It is a propane tank, use to use it till I switched to the ones I can swap out at just about any gas station nearby.

Post Thanks / Like

I used the bbq paint on bare steel, no primer.
    Eventual master of the obvious, practitioner of "stream of consciousness fabrication". P.S. I edit almost every post because because I'm posting from my phone and my fingers sometimes move faster than my brain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Birdhunter1 View Post
    It is a propane tank, use to use it till I switched to the ones I can swap out at just about any gas station nearby.
    Look into paint for engine headers, if you need something for high temperature applications.

Post Thanks / Like

I've also had good results with the Rustoleum BBQ paint.
    Ryan

Miller Multimatic 200 tig/spool gun/wireless remote
    Millermatic 350P, Bernard/XR Python guns
    Miller Dynasty 350, Coolmate 3.5 & wireless remote
    CK WF1 TIG wire feeder
    Miller Spectrum 375 Xtreme
    Optrel e684
    Miller Digital Elite
    Miller Weld-Mask

Post Thanks / Like

Rustoleum Barbecue paint worked well for me. I used it on a 6' long rectangular barbecue pit and it is still holding strong 4 years later.

Post Thanks / Like

Rustoleum BBQ is what I will try. Thanks guys, will put pictures up after painting.

Post Thanks / Like

Look online for woodstove paint 10 or more colors and virtually lasts for ever.
    It is not cheap. . .