+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Moving oxygen cylinder

Post Thanks / Like

Moving oxygen cylinder

Hello, we are moving 400 miles in a Uhaul truck. I have an 80 cu ft oxygen cylinder half full. Would it be wise to let the gas out before loading. I have the safety cap fastened. Is it not recommended laying it down on its side. What is the safe way to move it? Thanks in advance,

Plus I have an argon cylinder that takes the same size safety cap as the above oxygen cylinder. I have misplaced the safety cap for the argon cylinder. Where do I get another?

Thanks in advance, D Specht

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Moving oxygen cylinder

Caps may be had at local welding suppliers or online. Be sure to get the correct (fine or coarse) thread.

Does the truck have E-track or similar around the inside of the body? If so you could securely strap the cylinders vertically.

3. Likes Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

IF you have the safety cap on .... I do not believe there is ANY problem with laying an OXYGEN cylinder on its side...
    Only things like ACET , which have liquids like acetone inside, create a problem being sideways ...
    Weldandpower Lincoln 225 AC,DC with Briggs 16hp gas engine.
    WW2 era Miller TIG.

Post Thanks / Like

I am a bit concerned about the temperature in the moving truck. The safety label on the cylinder says do not exceed 125 degrees F. How does the state of Missouri deal with gas refills? Do they let you own your own cylinders like Illinois?

Post Thanks / Like

My acetylene cylinder is empty, so I could lay it down with the safety cap on?

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect that is fine... but there are people who know for sure on that question.. either on this forum or at your gas supplier...
    WW2 era Miller TIG.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe there is a problem laying any cylinder down on its side given the valve is protected. The caution I would use would be in letting the acetylene settle after it was erected upright for 30 minutes before using it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the answers. I found a safety cap at Tractor Supply for $10 - problem solved. And I will lay the cylinders down with the safety caps on. I still do not know the refill procedure for Missouri. Do they allow you to own your tanks or do you have to lease them? I really need the oxygen acetylene torch for my projects.

Post Thanks / Like

States have nothing to do with it. It's VENDOR custom variable between franchises and how much they value customer service.
    You can do a recon when you arrive to determine how to exchange what ya got. You can also post pics of the vendor labels and neck rings, but it's better if ya use the Search function in the different welding forums and get schooled on bottle swaps.

Post Thanks / Like

Best to chain upright but it's aimed at your *** not mine.

12. Likes CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I transport small to full size cylinders all the time in my pick-up I just jamb some wood into them to keep them braced front, side, and back. Just make sure that nothing can hit the valve, even with the cap on like a sledge hammer or something) and you will be fine. Also don't put them on the edge of the truck due to accidents. The middle is the safest place. All cylinders can be transported on their side, you just can't use all of them right away like acetylene. They have acetone and charcoal in them to keep it stable. The rule is 1 minute down, 1 minute up before using.

Post Thanks / Like

If you can get a wood pallet you could lay them between the slats and also run a strap around them and the pallet.
    Our welding supply truck is a box van trailer, so shouldnt be any different than your u haul.
    You'll have to check the LWS where your going to see if they'll trade bottles with you, it depends on the vendor.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Country Metals View Post
    ......The rule is 1 minute down, 1 minute up before using.
    So, my acet bottle which has been laying down in my garage for five years will have to be stood up for five years before I can use out of it ?
    Bummer !
    WW2 era Miller TIG.

Post Thanks / Like

you really should transport all cylinders upright. yes, protect the valves. Your LWS may have pictures of oxygen bottles that have penetrated the bed and cab walls during a crash when they were laid down. This is not an instance of the valve breaking. They O2 cylinder is quite heavy, and the surface area aimed at YOU is small. Combined the forces of a traffic accident, and you can get crushed. Transpo them upright securely fastened. Also keep in mind that if you were in a crash, and the valve was leaking from damage, it will make any fire that may be happening extremely dangerous.
    Ask your LWS if their drivers ever transport any bottle on its side.
    Weldanpower 225 G7
    Ironworkers Local #24

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Country Metals View Post
    I transport small to full size cylinders all the time in my pick-up I just jamb some wood into them to keep them braced front, side, and back. Just make sure that nothing can hit the valve, even with the cap on like a sledge hammer or something) and you will be fine. Also don't put them on the edge of the truck due to accidents. The middle is the safest place. All cylinders can be transported on their side, you just can't use all of them right away like acetylene. They have acetone and charcoal in them to keep it stable. The rule is 1 minute down, 1 minute up before using.
    i think a few hours is sufficient.. many have correctly stated that on the side is ok..which it is, but some dot regs still require vertical..

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm, post won't delete.....

Post Thanks / Like

Your suppliers transport them vertically “mainly” for efficiency and saving space.

Inert gases I transport horizontal because FOR ME it is easier to secure.

I move acetylene tanks vertically with e-track and straps

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

20. Likes whtbaron, Freebirdwelds liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Specht View Post
    My acetylene cylinder is empty, so I could lay it down with the safety cap on?
    Acetylene cylinders are filled with porous material that is saturated with acetone and the gas dissolves in it. When laying the cylinder down, the acetone gets into the porous material at very top of the cylinder, and a significant amount of time is required for the acetone to fully drain back down after the cylinder is stood up. If it hasn't had enough time, the "undissolving" acetylene will blow the highest acetone out of the cylinder.

Acetylene cylinders are periodically checked, before refilling, for sidewall damage, for voids near the top, and for the proper amount of acetone. Laying one down on a flat surface, properly capped and restrained, should not cause problems with any of the above. Cushion it in cardboard, if worried. Just make sure the valve is absolutely closed; same with any other cylinders; absolutely no seepage and caps all tight so they can't vibrate loose. BYW, most smaller acetylene cylinders are designed differently and don't use a cap.

Looks like this old thread was reactivated by a Spammer whose post is now gone; he still has another in a second thread.
    Last edited by Oldiron2; 09-28-2022 at 11:50 AM.

22. Likes Freebirdwelds liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This ain't that big a deal.

24. Likes Freebirdwelds, farmersammm liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist