Thread: Forgot to turn on gas...bad?

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to turn on gas...bad?

I just attached plug welded two pieces of 16 gauge mild steel together with my trusty mig welder, but I forgot to turn on the gas. It was popping and crackling more than normal, but I thought that's because I used weld-thru primer on the metal. Turns out I forgot to turn on the gas (75/25 argon/co2 normally).

It's a single plug weld that holds a bracket to the underside of a battery box (box 16 gauge and sprayed with weld-thru primer).

I ground down the weld and it looks shiny and normal once ground flush. But should I drill it out and start over? It's not structural per se (light little bracket, seems secure, etc.). Or it is a rust hole waiting to happen no matter how well I seal it up?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Forgot to turn on gas...bad?

Let's see a pics of what you tried to accomplish

Post Thanks / Like

If it looks good leave it. Unless you de pressure your reg after turning off the bottle, there was likely enough pressure to make one decent plug weld.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I couldn't handle it and drilled it out. The weld looked "ok" (not great) on the outside after grinding, but I think the grinding essentially polished it to look better. The closer I got to the bottom piece, the more it looked like lava rock, and there was almost zero penetration. Live and learn.

Post Thanks / Like

start over. It can't be good.

Post Thanks / Like

LOL, usually when I forget to connect ground clamp I also next discover I forgot the gas. Call myself Sponge Bob rest of day and reach for grinder

Mostly now in habit of first thing cranking open bottle, flipping welder to spoolgun and squeezing trigger 1 second foot of torch lead while I tweek gas flow...But sometimes forget where weld start great then Sponge Bob