+ Reply to Thread

Thread: D1.3 Tips

Post Thanks / Like

D1.3 Tips

I started learning how to weld so I can someday TIG an aircraft fuselage out of 4130 thin wall tubing. D1.3 is as far as I know, the closest thing to this type of welding.

How much does certifying cost? Would I want to certify in all positions? Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks,

Aircamper
    Last edited by Aircamperace; 08-29-2011 at 08:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: D1.3 Tips

well your are going to need a WPS to certify too first
    Miller Xmt 350
    Lincoln Ln-25
    Ahp 200x
    Smith Gas Mixer AR/H
    Tig is my Kung Fu
    Throwing down dimes and weaving about
    Instagram http://instagram.com/weldor_wes
    WeldorWes@WcWeldingLLC.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WeldingWookie View Post
    well your are going to need a WPS to certify too first
    I might recommend you take a look at AWS B2.1-22-015 10-18ga aluminum with 4043 filler.

Post Thanks / Like

Where are you located? You specified the D1.3, which is a code book for sheet steel. What you need is an air-frame class. But if you want to learn aluminum tig, get a machine and practice.
    I suggest something like a good inverter. The Dynasty 200 DX, for example, because aluminum just sucks the life out of lesser machines. I would consider the 200 DX an aluminum capable machine for those who are serious about doing aluminum tig. Until you have skill at tig, the machine will offset your inexperience, and you won't outgrow it in 6 months. I bought a used Econotig a few years back, and I won't get rid of it until I get a better machine, but at school I get to use the best.
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & ISV Bible

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aircamperace View Post
    I started learning how to weld so I can someday TIG an aircraft fuselage out of 4130 thin wall tubing. D1.3 is as far as I know, the closest thing to this type of welding.

How much does certifying cost? Would I want to certify in all positions? Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks,

Aircamper

I am not sure why you want to be "certified" to weld up a fuselage for what I am assuming is a piet. You can attend classes just for aircraft welding on materials like 4130 and other "antiques". If you want to learn thats one thing, but certification??? Maybe you can clue me in more as to why you think you need certification, and what you think being certified actually means?

Post Thanks / Like

D1.3 sure as hell isn't the appropriate standard for aerospace tubular structures!

D17.1 is as close as you'll get, and even then, any "certifications" (of which there really aren't any) would be otherwise useless.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Supe View Post
    D1.3 sure as hell isn't the appropriate standard for aerospace tubular structures!

D17.1 is as close as you'll get, and even then, any "certifications" (of which there really aren't any) would be otherwise useless.
    Pretty much what I was getting at. Certified aircraft or homebuilts dont require any kind of certification for the weldor, and having any kind of certification still doesnt allow the weldor to "sign off" the work.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, what is the reasoning behind getting certified? I know there are a lot of restrictions on people working on aircraft, like mechanics have to have certifications. I would assume that you would need some certifications for welding on aircraft also.

Just something to make sure you know the difference between “certified” and “qualified”.

Certified: you hold a AWS approved welding certification that was completed at an AWS accredited facility and given by a CWI.

Qualification: you had taken a weld test that was inspected and tested to a certain standard and most likely given by a CWI.

The only two ways you could be “certified” in all position is either a 3G and a 4G plate or a 6G pipe. each test would only be good for one weld process and one material. You would need to do it all again if you wanted to do multiple types of materials, ie steel, SS, aluminum.

Post Thanks / Like

In this case the FAA ( the governing body on aircraft ) doesnt care about the AWS. Remember the AWS is nothing special, and in itself has no authority on anything, ever. So a "certification" from the AWS for aircraft welding in this case is about as useful as a degree in cycle riding from the local clown college.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist