+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which dry cut saw to buy?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which dry cut saw to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzoo View Post
    Well ? Ya want $200 for it or what ?
    Bad MOFO aint it ;-)
    Ha ha ha. Yeah first night i got i was about a six pack into some SN Pale Ale waiting for UPS to give me my new toy ahum i mean tool. It cuts like a bad mama jamba. I love it. It took me a couple tries to get it to cut with in a hair of square. The more and more i get better tools the more i reslize i need more better tools to properly use the better tools im slowly acquiring. Now i need one of those squares Jody uses on WTT.COM
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 08-19-2016 at 04:48 PM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

First get yourself the V-blocks from Morse to use on it. You'll get three times the blade life.They cost about $40 I think but that's $200 in blade life.
    I didn't bolt mine on. I milled the back for 2 dime sized magnets each and covered them with that sandpapery grip tape to hold them in.(skateboard tape).. That way I can slide them over when the back guide gets turned to 30 or 45. You'l see what I mean.They work "upside down" too for little 1/2 and stuff. The chip catcher works better on the lower chips..you'll notice that too.

More money now than when I bought ?
    Look around first but here they are at Amazoo. Dig a little for cheaper. I think I paid $37.xx
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by Bonzoo; 08-19-2016 at 05:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Here. Pay attention. This will save you lots of bucks. I'm sure you've seen the idiots reviewing blades. These morons are using the blades on wood based miters and abrasive choppers @ 4-5000 rpm. Idiots who refuse to read. You'll get hundreds of cuts with even the Concord or Irwin(suckiest) and plantyu with originals , Diablos or Metal Devils. Some guys like Tonryu? and Oshlun ?? I run a metal devil right now.Basically the same as the original I think.Close enough. Lotta hype in BladeLand too

4. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gustav129 View Post
    I personally prefer a wet band saw. I am surprised to hear the bad rep about Jet. I have no experience with them, but they seemed to be a quality product.
    And why do you prefer a wet band saw? Guess Ellis and DoAll 1/2" and 3/4" dry cut band saws aren't to your liking?

Jet? They are mid-grade quality. Shouldn't surprise you. Ran lots of Jet wets over the years and disliked every of them. Cheapily made and mess as fook.

If you are talking high-end industrial grade saws for long cuts or to sever INOX materials, then yes wet saw have there place.
    "Discovery is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought" - Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Bonzoo for all the information about the blocks and for sharing the video.

What is the best way to square up the blade to the table top and to the clamp. Two separate planes.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

I've only been around 3 Makitas and my Morse. They were all within a few thousandths. We're fab-welders, not machinists. Anything more dead nuts and you're in the cold(wet) saw realm.
    I use a good angle finder since that little red arrow is half asz at best.If I'm in a hurry and it comes out 46 instead of 45 it gets kissed on the 12" disk grinder. Closer-nuffer. The blade-table relationship(90) is dead on.If it wasn't it would go back where it came from.Same for the clamp.if they can't get that dead on it's all a piece of shiite.
    Ya know. I'm surprised nobody has uses a cold saw chassis with a sped-up drive for these dry blades ??/ A cold saw turns at about 150 rpm as I recall. Bump it to 1000 or so and lose the cooling and that would be the baddest dry cut on the planet.The machines are mega heavy and the clamping it insane. A chassis like a Scotchman or something.
    I dunno. Money and time the cold saw is still a tad superior......and unneeded for fab guys. Nice tho if there is money and space to waste.You aint gonna move it EVER.
    That's the real beauty of these 50 lb-ers on 120V.
    My Scotchman cut axles, gun barrels and D2 and all sots of crap. One blade. Ten years with one sharpening I recall.Pre dry saw years.
    I huckin fate band saws other than a vertical do-all. Another space killer but bad to the bone.
    This mickey mouse horizontal crap(includin Kalamazoo) is Flintstone crap in 2016 inless you're cutting 10 inch channel and beam. I got plasma for that. I'll run circles around you.

8. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How about making two miters or 45's facing each other on angle iron. I've been trying to figure that one out with out placing the angle upside down and using a block to hold the angle in place. ???

Post Thanks / Like

Used our new Femi HEM NG120ABS band saw for the first time yesterday. Pre-contioned the stock blade, then cut 16ea sections of 3x3x3/16" HSS for a bender project. :1::40 per cut.....unattended. Created dust-sized cuttings within a small area. Cleanup was a breeze.

She's a Ferrari. Swift, silent, and strong. Laser precision. We are stoked to have an Italian wahine working with us.
    "Discovery is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought" - Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Evo rage 2 and its awesome and cheap I've cut threw a bunch and havnt had to replace a blade yet lol
    AHP alpha mig 250

AHP alpha tig 200x

Check out my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqp...k-wpqmUyGs_i_w

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    How about making two miters or 45's facing each other on angle iron. I've been trying to figure that one out with out placing the angle upside down and using a block to hold the angle in place. ???
    any one ever do this with the dry cut saw?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, using a short length of square tube to support the angle upside-down as you surmise.
    A few welders
    A lot of hammers
    A whole lot of C-clamps

14. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok thank you silicon-based. I wanted to make sure it's done and safe for the machine, blade and bystanders I think I'll fab up some blocks for clamping so I have a surface sitting above the angle as well for added support to keep the work piece from wiggling up and loose.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 08-21-2016 at 02:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for useful videos

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Ok thank you silicon-based. I wanted to make sure it's done and safe for the machine, blade and bystanders I think I'll fab up some blocks for clamping so I have a surface sitting above the angle as well for added support to keep the work piece from wiggling up and loose.
    I use a 1 sized larger piece of "scrap" tubing to block in there... 2 in-2 1/4 tubing I always use scrap, so that when I cut the "scrap" it doesn't hurt my feelings.
    I haven't built anything I can't throw away. Perfection is the journey.

Mac

18. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Morse Metal Devil is a fein without the quick lock vise.
    I found the vise is very solid compared to the makita, but its quite a bit heavier and bulkier.

The v blocks are a must

Had a evo rage2 before, it worked ok but I figured the stiffer base would make blades last longer, at least thats my excuse for upgrading.

A regular wood miter saw (preferably belt drive) with a 80+ tooth wood blade is the way to go for aluminum

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mac's Crew View Post
    I use a 1 sized larger piece of "scrap" tubing to block in there... 2 in-2 1/4 tubing I always use scrap, so that when I cut the "scrap" it doesn't hurt my feelings.
    5 year old zombie thread....
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

The evolution saw is a beast.
    Amazon site includes promo video - must see

Link:
    https://www.amazon.com/Evolution-Pow...0529982&sr=8-6

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking of getting a cheap band saw but after reading this thread i think i might get the dry cut saw instead. I already have an abrasive chop saw saw but it doesn't work that well.

Post Thanks / Like

The down side to a dry cut saw is fire. I had hand grinders set fires 30 foot from the grinder.

They work great for under 12ga steel.
    I use band saw for all cutting but I live were fire is a big problem.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by derekpfeiffer View Post
    I've been hearing a lot of people talking up dry cut saws. I've never used one, but if they work as well as it sounds it'd be great to have one around. I do a lot of work with 1"-2" 11ga square tubing and it'd be nice to use it to miter the corners.

Like I'd said I've never used one, so I'd like recommendations on which one to buy.

Thanks for any help!

Also recommendations on which blades as well.

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought an AGP dry cut saw here in Australia. One of the selling points was it does left and right mitres, whereas most just do right. Came with a V block similar to the one linked above, wouldn't mind another for the adjustable side of the clamp. The only thing i don't like is the vertical handle, old style in comparison to the horizontal newer ones.

https://www.agp-powertools.com/products/drc355

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist