+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any advantages to a conventional flip helmet over an auto darkening helmet??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any advantages to a conventional flip helmet over an auto darkening helmet??

Quote Originally Posted by Ajh View Post
    I have noticed at college wearing my autodarkening mask it seems ok but when I'm a couple meters away from the arc watching others it flickers, it's not a cheapo one either it's make is "sif", I wondered if this was the auto darkening function, and also wondered what advantages a conventional flip helmet has over an auto darkening helmet
    Well with auto darkening hoods, usually, you can adjust the sensitivity. I have to adjust mine because if someone is welding AC in the near vicinity, my hood darkens
    The pro though? Speed It is great for tacking, especially when you have to fit and you're by yourself.

The traditional hood is good for clarity, IMO. And a flip up lens is great though for grinding. You get a good clear view when cleaning your welds with full face and neck protection

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any advantages to a conventional flip helmet over an auto darkening helmet??

I prefer Auto. I have been flashed far far far more in my life with my passive helmet up from accidental arc strikes then when wearing an auto down and repositioning, tacking, restarting, new rod etc......

I would rather a stiff kick to the nads then knowing I to weld all day with a passive lid. Shopping around for a new auto as I type.
    Last edited by kald; 06-24-2016 at 12:18 PM.
    Idealarc 250
    AC 225S
    Victor OA-older made in USA stuff.
    And a crap ton of other stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Put it this way, it would be a cold day in ##@$ before I chose the flip helmet over my auto helmet.

Post Thanks / Like

What not have the advantages of both. Jackson flip front with a arc-one singles 240 Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1466817444958.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  37.5 KB

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

QUOTE by VPT;7155031 "I love my flipper! I used auto lids, they flashed me, piss on that!"

I am surprised that no one has mentioned eye health. VPT came close, although I do not believe urination is the solution (At least not in this case). I did a quick look up on switching speeds. The 3m Speedglas claims to be switching at 0.1ms. That means that EVERY TIME you strike an ark your eyes get radiated 0.0001 seconds. So for every 10,000 strikes you get 1 second of exposure. I would venture to guess. that in many cases, professionals might make a thousand strikes or more in a shift. The damage to your eyes is collective. I wrestled with this about 13 years ago. Up to that point I had only oxy-fuel welded. The basis for my conclusion was that I am older and I am not doing this every day. Over time I would get minimal exposure. I got the auto-dark hood.

My thought pattern is concern for younger professional welders, particularly where high frequency is prevalent.

Not to worry, I hear they got that cataract surgery down real good!

"Long-term exposure to UV light can produce cataracts in some persons."

https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/safe...ding/eyes.html
    Last edited by ampedtech; 07-15-2016 at 02:13 PM. Reason: flubed up the quote....better get checked for cataracts!
    I am an industrial hobbyist

If I listed my tools, most of you would just cry.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist