+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Starting SA200 after sitting

Post Thanks / Like

Starting SA200 after sitting

I didn't want to search through all the posts so I thought I'd just make a new post. Need to get my 61 SA200 going to fix my backhoe. I haven't used it for a couple years but did put Seafoam in the tank the last time I used it. I know I need to take the brush cover off and check for signs of mice etc. but what else should I do? I've also read there's a technique for starting these so you don't flood them. It had a rebuilt Mag and a new zenith carb but sometimes flooded trying to start it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Starting SA200 after sitting

Dave after doing what you have planed. I would pull the spark plugs, check them out. And spray some WD-40 in each cylinder, and turn the engine over by hand a few times.
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

I have an update. Took the cover off the brushes and no signs of mice but a lot of that fluff stuff that flies around in the fall all over the whole machine and some under that cover. Good thing I took the cover off though as one of the brushes was popped out at a 45 deg. in the holder. I got it back in easy enough but it was shorter than the other brush? Is that common? Didn't pull the plugs but turned it over by hand with the fan a few times then boosted it to see if it would start. Nothing. Pulled 3 of the plugs and they looked good but no signs of gas. Checked spark and only saw a little spark so took mag cover off and it was dry (good thing), then took off distributer cap and sanded the contacts. I think I recall you've had to do that CEP. Played with it for a while and thought I'd have to come back here to get some more advice. The gas seemed a little funky and then a guy showed up that's helped a buddy get a couple SA200's running. He confirmed the gas seemed suspect and was a yellowy colour. I took the tap out and he helped me tilt the machine to drain it. I think the machine was basically ran out of gas the last time I used it because when I put about 2 1/2 gallons of fresh gas in, it started in about 10 seconds and just purred, no smoke or strange sounds at all! Didn't use choke at all. After a few minutes it idled down. I tried to strike an arc and there was a spark but the engine didn't speed up, so I pushed the throttle lever on the R-57 and it struck a bigger arc and then the idler started to work properly. It would take almost a minute to slow down but the idler was working! After that the machine ran great and I got by backhoe stabilizer fixed.

I forgot how nice a machine a red face is to weld with. I had some old 5P+ 6010 and after setting my heat put in a nice hot up hand root on the tube on the stabilizer bracket. 3rd gear at about 40. Had to do a down hand root on the inside because it was a little awkward to get at laying under the machine. Then I finished welding it up with some new 3/32" 7018. I had to turn the heat down just a touch because my first weld up the tube the rod melted off just as I was about to finish. Turned it down to 35 on the dial and put a nice hot cap over the 6010. It's not a perfect fix but is probably better than the original small weld. I think I'll take your advice and burn a couple rods every month or so just to keep the machine fresh.
    Last edited by Welder Dave; 05-01-2016 at 02:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Good idea, keep her in shape. I run mine every week or so. Just fire her up and burn a few rods. I keep some big ones so I can weld in all gears and from 0 to 100%

Steve

Lincoln SA200 (1966 Redface)
    Lincoln IdealArc 250
    Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    1993 Miller Maxstar 140 STR
    2015 Lincoln MP210
    1966 Lincoln SA200 Redface

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I know it's good to burn some 1/4" every so often to clean it out. I was surprised how easy it started after adding fresh gas and even more surprised how the idler starting working and how nice it ran.

Post Thanks / Like

I run my SA-200s at least once a month. After running some 1/8” rods, with the welders nice and warmed up. I’ll burn a few 3/16” 6010s to make them work a little bit.
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

I 've got a few 1/4" 7018 to make it grunt. The governor was working perfect yesterday. It took a long time to idle down but it did so no problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Your governor is a lot like me. I don’t move to well after setting for a while!
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    The governor was working perfect yesterday. It took a long time to idle down but it did so no problem.
    Just to clarify, the governor isn't responsible for idling the engine. That's a function of the idler and if it's slow or lazy that is likely due to the vacuum control adjustment.

Not sure if you are confusing the two or simply stating two separate facts. My apologies if the latter.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

No problem Duane. I know the governor has nothing to do with idler. The machine was just running great when I struck an arc and grunting like it should although it has a muffler that is sacrilege to the SA200 purists.

Post Thanks / Like

Dave, I would download the manual from Lincoln's website and the special manual concerning the R57 idler. It's possible the little piece of foam under the adjusting screw just needs cleaned and fluffed up. The screw adjusts the idle down time after the arc is broken. Get her back up in good shape and keep her there. They are very handy to have when you need them. When you strike the arc and they snap up to speed and take the load you know you can Git-R-Done. No lawnmower engine drive gives you that feeling IMHO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve
    Lincoln IdealArc 250
    Lincoln SA200 1966 Redface
    Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    1993 Miller Maxstar 140 STR
    2015 Lincoln MP210
    1966 Lincoln SA200 Redface

Post Thanks / Like

I had it apart last year and I think it's missing the foam piece. Originally it idled down after 25 seconds which was fine. I counted how many turns out the screw was when I took it apart and put it back the same. If it takes a little longer to idle down is OK. The time shortened some after I used it for a while.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist