Thread: SA 200 brushes?

Post Thanks / Like

SA 200 brushes?

I got my 61 Canadian red face running after sitting for a couple of years and when I took the brush cover off to check for mice, etc. one of the brushes was wedged at a 45 deg. in the brush holder. I got it back in easy enough but it was probably 3/8-1/2" shorter than the other brush. Is this common? it was the brush in about the 4 o'clock position looking from the controls and closer to the engine. I played with the machine a bit and when welding it worked perfect so I'm just curious why one brush would be shorter?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: SA 200 brushes?

Hello Welder Dave, it could be something as simple as the previous owner changing only one brush instead of the set.
    aevald

Post Thanks / Like

It's not uncommon for brushes to wear at an angle My 66 Redface had two that were like that and the brush in the same older was not. Rust or debris in the holder can make them stick and not float. I took it to Stumpf's and had all the brushes changed, commutator stoned and load banked. I guess I won't need to worry about that issue for awhile

Steve

Lincoln SA200 (1966 Redface)
    Lincoln IdealArc 250
    Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    1993 Miller Maxstar 140 STR
    2015 Lincoln MP210
    1966 Lincoln SA200 Redface

Post Thanks / Like

The brush looked like it had popped out and got stuck at a 45 deg. When I put in noticed it was shorter. The brushes looked to be a set from the wires attached to them. When I bought the machine a shop that specializes in SA200's got it going for me. The mag seal was bad and the caused the mag to fill with oil. They rebuilt the mag and had a used coil to put in it and it needed a new carb. They ran a stone on the commutator and load tested it. 305 amps and they said spec. is 310 so pretty darn close. I think a slight difference in a gauge could cause a 5 amp variance. The commutator still looks really clean. Originally I bought the machine not running for $600 but the guy said he'd hold off taking my money until I saw how much it was going to cost to fix. The shop charged me $800, $320+ was for the new carb. I went back and told the guy and he thought that was a little much so gave me $100 back! I kind of new him because I had applied for a job there. Real nice guy but he hired a dual ticked welder/HD mechanic. They sold mulchers and skid steers and a bunch of other stuff. I was his 2nd choice. The welder was owned by the guy they hired and the shop bought it from him for their service truck. Then they bought a new service truck and put a smaller Miller TB302 on it so didn't need the SA. It had sat for a couple years and the guy said it ran good the last time it was used. They had to rebuild the starter trying to get it started and knew it needed a carb so basically didn't want to fight it anymore. They said a lot of pipeline guys looked at it but couldn't try it out and got leery. Good for me! Got a couple used 50' 2/0 cables with quick connects from Red-D-Arc for $200 and stinger and ground cables and I was good to go. $1500 and change total. I wanted a machine like a TB302 or Ranger 305 or even a Bobcat for the amount I do but the used ones were $500 less than a new one and I didn't want spend $3500+ for a limited use machine. It paid for itself because I needed it to fix the swing mount on my backhoe. Ripped the top mount right off and bent the lower 1 1/2" thick mounting plate. I figured it saved me 3-$4000 fixing it myself over having to hire someone. That was a pretty big job. Straight forward but had to get a couple heavy wall tubes to use for lining the pivot pin holes up. The pins are 2 1/2" diameter. V'd out the 1 1/2" bottom mount to straighten it and then welded it up. Needed a little tweaking but pulled it in line after heating it.
    Last edited by Welder Dave; 05-01-2016 at 10:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

It could be simply what aevald or Sparkie said but as long as it doesn't look like some of these.

Name:  Hardin SA200 001.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  64.2 KB

And yes, it was still welding.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

I never took it right out but figured picking it up and moving it could have popped the brush out.