Thread: Blowing smoke and shooting oil perkins

Post Thanks / Like

Blowing smoke and shooting oil perkins

99' sa250 just put a new head gasket on and 2 new injectors and resealed the motor. Has 3500 hours on her and yesterday after running it for 11 hrs straight towards the end it started puffing white smoke. From low to high idle it would be a puff of smoke. When it's high idling it's a sheen of white smoke. None to little on low idle. Also happend to start blowing a little (what I presume to be oil) out of the exhaust.

I'm hoping it's just another injector issue , too much fuel or whatever.

I need some guidence. Will it hurt the motor to keep running it like this? Obviously checking oil consistently to make sure she doesn't run dry

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blowing smoke and shooting oil perkins

If it's water cooled check the water white smoke on diesel can be from water leaking into cylinder or a number of other things

Post Thanks / Like

If it's not puking water out of the radiator overflow I doubt it's a head gasket issue and in light of the wet stacking I'd suspect an injector problem.

You can isolate it to the affected cylinder by cracking each injector line nut one at a time with the unit running on high idle to see which one makes the white smoke go away.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to say, if it's an injector problem dumping too much fuel you definitely don't want to keep running it as the excessive fuel will wash down the cylinder(s) and you run the risk of seizing or at least scrubbing a piston.

Whatever the case, it's not right and you need to find out the cause and not keep running it.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

I have an 04 300d that did the same thing but it was the head gasket. I had the head pressure checked and had valves reseated. The head was still within spec .002. Put it back together last week and filled fluids. Went to check oil before start up one last time and noticed I was above normal. Coolant got back to my oil pan somehow. Pulled the head back off yesterday and came to the conclusion that the head may have been in a bind on the dowel pin somehow when I assembled. .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dg09us View Post
    I have an 04 300d that did the same thing but it was the head gasket. I had the head pressure checked and had valves reseated. The head was still within spec .002. Put it back together last week and filled fluids. Went to check oil before start up one last time and noticed I was above normal. Coolant got back to my oil pan somehow. Pulled the head back off yesterday and came to the conclusion that the head may have been in a bind on the dowel pin somehow when I assembled. .
    Hasn't done it since that day, I've ran it pretty hard since then. It was most likely an injector messing up. Zero water in my oil or blow by