Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teaching a 15 year old how to weld.

Post Thanks / Like

Teaching a 15 year old how to weld.

A 15 year old boy that lives across the road and my dad (dad lives on the front side of the farm) and I kinda took him under our wing. His dad isn't around and his mom works a lot of evenings. Anyway he's pretty good help for us and he just wants to learn anything. He's built a few projects in my wood shop and does a lot of his own repair work on his bicycle and his moms truck. He has run some pretty decent welds in learning and when I went to build this yesterday I had him tack it with my mig welder then run some 7014 on my Lincoln AC 225 at 120 amps. I did the fit up and he welded it.
    He's proud and it will hold, it's a spare tire mount for my uncles car hauler, (bolted to the trailer frame not welded).
    I think he done alright!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Teaching a 15 year old how to weld.

You're a good man, and it sounds like he's a good kid. It's great that you've taken the opportunity to influence him now before other, less wholesome influences took root.
    1969 Chris Craft Roamer 46 Refit

Miller TB280 w/Spoolmatic 30a
    2016 AHP AlphaTIG 200X
    Ancient Millermatic 35
    Zeny Cut50 plasma cutter

Post Thanks / Like

Tell him I am proud of him too.

Post Thanks / Like

I love to see these kind of stories, win-win. Keep up the good work!
    Mastering others is strength, mastering yourself is true power.

Post Thanks / Like

He did a good job and you and Dad did a better job teaching him some skills!!
    Mike
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Teaching a 15 year old how to weld.

Well I do feel like putting my foot in his rear about his school behavior. He gets in trouble often enough, he came to hang out one day when he was suspended and I sent him home saying suspension ain't no party at home. Not sure if anyone ever told him that before.
    There was a rule born that there would be no hunting on the farm during school suspensions, behavior changed overnight it seemed!
    And I helped him with his math and try to teach geometry and some trig when doing metal or wood layout. He's catching on.

Post Thanks / Like

Good job I'll bet he looks up to you and your dad a lot. Lost my dad when I was young people like you meant a lot to me growing up when you don't have a dad you have to learn a lot on your own. you might be making a best friend and you don't even know it. keep teaching him. RIGHT ON!!!

Post Thanks / Like

This is a great story and good job motivating him by not allowing hunting during suspensions!!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to sound as naysayer but this bracket is not structurally safe. a few more braces are required...

Nevertheless i salute the effort, good effort by good people.

Post Thanks / Like

Snowbird, go look at the pictures again. That's a piece of angle there, it looks like flat stock at a glance but it's not. I see plenty of triangulation.
    Eventual master of the obvious, practitioner of "stream of consciousness fabrication". P.S. I edit almost every post because because I'm posting from my phone and my fingers sometimes move faster than my brain.

Post Thanks / Like

1/2" thick x 4" wide plates 6" long that bolt to the trailer frame and have bolts passing through on the other and tacked on the backside to hold the trailer tire. The piece in between at a 45* angle to the plates is 2 1/2" x 3/8" angle iron, joints on each end were beveled inside and out and welded on each side. The kids welds don't look the greatest and it probably won't pass an Xray but it will hold together longer than the rest of the trailer.

(On edit)... and bolted on with 1/2" grade 8 bolts and hardware.

Post Thanks / Like

i'd kinda agree w/ snowbird. vibration and shock mayl get to that lanky setup. to help, the kid can bolt another plate to trailer above the existing, and run cross tube from it to the plate that tire mounts to.
    Last edited by 123weld; 05-13-2016 at 01:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

looks like hes catching on to me. good on you for helping out the kid. And as someone who had free reign of the world when i was his age, the people that i can remember the most as having influence on me were the ones who gave me some structure and guidance. And it was not my parents! I think its great you gave him behavioral guidelines at your place.

I don't want to sound as naysayer but this bracket is not structurally safe. a few more braces are required...
    You do sound like a nay sayer. The bracket is fine. have you looked at a store bought bracket lately????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shaynoak View Post

You do sound like a nay sayer. The bracket is fine. have you looked at a store bought bracket lately????
    Touche'
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Good for you. Don't underestimate the influence and impact you will no doubt have on that young mans life.

Post Thanks / Like

I try and cross educate him, the kid learned from his Grandpa how to process deer and he can do it as good as anyone I've ever seen. This year alone we've pulled wire in conduit, wired outlets, light sockets and breakers, welded, built oak/walnut butcher block countertops, butcher block cutting boards and a few other little odds and ends.
    Between him, my 7 year old son and 5 year old daughter I've got lots of help. In a few years my plan is to supervise and let them do the work!

Post Thanks / Like

You're a good man. This stuff makes a difference in a young man's life.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Im 15 aswell till tomorrow.Although my situation isnt rough like his. I appriciate what your doing for/with him.
    Mullets&Pullets

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I've made burnout worse for him. He does a lot with his Grandpa who lives about 7 or 8 miles away. But I see him almost daily. He's a good kid and learns well, but school learning is a different story.

Post Thanks / Like

They used to have a senior project requirement at our high school. I think the project had to take around 30 hours or so. I would let dedicated highschoolers come in with strict rules. To make sure they were dedicated I made them do over 100 hours which weeded a lot out. It was frustrating at times, but worth it, most of them went on to engineering type jobs.
    Two of them were my kids. I made them torch cut hundreds of feet of scrap plate. Then I made them weld them all back together into the ugliest square of scrap iron you can imagine. Then they put four legs on it and I told them to take it with pride to grandma and give it to her as a coffee table. I said it was a grandma test, knowing she couldn't refuse it. So there it still sits.....on their deck, looking like a big zit. I have a feeling I will get it in their will and our joke will come back to bite me in the butt.

Post Thanks / Like

nice holder. at first i thought arm was flat plate till sedanman pointed it was angle iron. i still didn't catch it correctly in front view. had a long day under a trailer yesterday - had just woken up - my vision takes a while to get right after waking. side view does look like trick photography though, to me anyway (and maybe snowbird also)
    Last edited by 123weld; 05-13-2016 at 10:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

It didn't ruffle my feathers.
    But if it isn't sturdy enough I don't know how the rest of the trailer survives, I think the frame is all 1/4"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Birdhunter1 View Post
    Maybe I've made burnout worse for him. He does a lot with his Grandpa who lives about 7 or 8 miles away. But I see him almost daily. He's a good kid and learns well, but school learning is a different story.

Some of us are smart but book smart and being smart are two different things. Then there are those are too dam smart and school is not teaching them fast enough to keep them interested in their school work. I fell in to the last part when I was in school. I see that after being away from school now days hence 45 years latter. Then there are the ones who can not do book learning but show them something and watch out they can go at something faster even do better than the one who taught them.That is why I think that we as a nation need to get back to being able to to a vocational schools again that teaches trades and skills sets with the basic 3 R's for those kids.
    Klutch 220si mig , stick, and dc tig
    Hobart 140
    AHP ALPHA 200X 2016
    Lotos LTP5000D
    Smith O/P

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tinker001 View Post
    Some of us are smart but book smart and being smart are two different things. Then there are those are too dam smart and school is not teaching them fast enough to keep them interested in their school work. I fell in to the last part when I was in school. I see that after being away from school now days hence 45 years latter. Then there are the ones who can not do book learning but show them something and watch out they can go at something faster even do better than the one who taught them.That is why I think that we as a nation need to get back to being able to to a vocational schools again that teaches trades and skills sets with the basic 3 R's for those kids.
    I agree, I work at a State University and deal often with the educated, the TOO educated, the smart and the smarter than you. This kid has decent grades but being in junior high they did away with the shop classes sometime since I was there in the early 90's. I think when he gets to high school next year and has vocational classes he can take and apply his math skills to it in real world situations he'll do great.

He said after learning this he wants to go into welding... so now I've been telling him the downsides to the trades; work slowdowns, long hours, 6 months 70 hours a week and the rest of the year rocking it on unemployment. I've told him about the world of pipe fitters, iron workers and boilermakers and the apprenticeship programs they have and how alot of guys start out doing that and build their own arsenal of equipment to do their own jobs. The kid does well when you put him onto something that intrigues him.

Post Thanks / Like

Good on you for taking the opportunity to make a positive impact in that young mans life.
    Safety Professional
    Certified - 3G, 4G, & 6G - SMAW & GTAW
    Cummins Turbo Diesel Fanatic
    Tool Collector
    Junk Accumulator