+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking at a n Idealarc AC/DC 250.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at a n Idealarc AC/DC 250.

What to look out for? The machine looks like hell but that doesn't matter. It's on Craigslist locally for $100. I asked the seller about leads but didn't get an answer yet, l only saw the ad about 1/2 hour ago.
    Eventual master of the obvious, practitioner of "stream of consciousness fabrication". P.S. I edit almost every post because because I'm posting from my phone and my fingers sometimes move faster than my brain.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking at a n Idealarc AC/DC 250.

Best thing to do is round up some leads and go put it through its paces. I've used battery cables in a pinch when testing machines. Try it on all 3, DC-, DC+ & AC.

Post Thanks / Like

for $100 there's nothing to look out for. You should already have it home.
    Lincoln IdealArc 250
    Airco Auto Pak 130
    Hobart 190
    AHP AlphaTig 200

Post Thanks / Like

I made arrangements with the guy to see it first thing Sunday morning, the first opportunity he will have to show it to anybody. I also found a buyer for my AC225 for $100.00 so, free upgrade!
    Eventual master of the obvious, practitioner of "stream of consciousness fabrication". P.S. I edit almost every post because because I'm posting from my phone and my fingers sometimes move faster than my brain.

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to hang on to that tombstone. I have an Idealarc 250acdc and its on steel wheels. It must weigh over 300 lbs. , not very portable. Its a great stick welder. I think its worth more in scrap weight, that's why they're disappearing

Post Thanks / Like

Be there bright and early with the $100 ! If it turns on your good to go. Take sheet metal off top when you get home. Blow it out and lube the amp adjustment gears in the front and your set for another 20 years or so. Go on Lincoln's website and download your manual and parts lists just for fun and you can download a service bulletin that will tell you the age of your welder. You can keep the AC225 if you want, after you weld with the 250 you won't ever want to use it again.

Steve

Lincoln SA200 (1966 Redface)
    Lincoln IdealArc 250
    Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    1993 Miller Maxstar 140 STR
    2015 Lincoln MP210
    1966 Lincoln SA200 Redface

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buckkillr8 View Post
    for $100 there's nothing to look out for. You should already have it home.
    Bingo
    "You can't out puke a buzzard"

Post Thanks / Like

I paid 300 for mine over 10 years ago just blew it out and changed it from 575V to 220V yes its a Canadian one! Only thing to check is to make sure it can be changed to a voltage you can use, and Not a 3 phase one!

Post Thanks / Like

The 250 ideal arcs were single phase machines. They can be wired to run on a single phase of a 3 phase power supply but they are a single phase only powered welder.
    Mine is a 230/460/575v machine, single phase only.
    As stated, once you weld with the 250 Idealarc you will get rid of that ac225 faster than you can blink your eyes. The Idealarc will last longer than you will live.
    Happy welding.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by albrightree View Post
    You might want to hang on to that tombstone. I have an Idealarc 250acdc and its on steel wheels. It must weigh over 300 lbs. , not very portable. Its a great stick welder. I think its worth more in scrap weight, that's why they're disappearing
    Even considering how much they weigh, at today's scrap rate, you probably won't cover gas to take it to the scrapper.

They aren't disappearing because guys are simply dumping them, it's because so many are out there being scrapped because industry is dying in this political climate and economy as business who have survived for decades simply can't stay open any longer under the growing tax burden. Many newer machines offer more options for the same or slightly more money. The days when places strictly do stick welding is quickly disappearing. For those who do only need an industrial stick machine, they really are still hard to beat even with advances in new technology. Advanced inverters may give you a lot of options, but the way they weld isn't the same as an old transformer machine or DC generator. That's why so many guys still love them for whip and pause and so on. Sure you can modify wave forms and so on to mimic those traits in top of the line inverters, but you still can't beat the cost and ruggedness of a simple transformer machine.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by albrightree View Post
    Lincoln still makes these machines today and there's a reason for that. They are still being bought.
    It's hard to beat the durability and simplicity of these machines. I do a lot of scratch start DC tig welding with mine also, it's very good at that.
    The 250 ideal arcs are quite possibly one of the best single phased powered transformer stick welders made.
    Jason
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

Post Thanks / Like

I went and got it. She's been rode hard! It was hard wired when in use and was in storage. The seller rigged up some romex and hot wired it to his panel. He (l ain't stupid) fired it up and ran a little bead, good enough for me. Got it home and blew it out. The amp dial was very stiff but is getting better with some WD-40. The seller gave me some leads but they are in very bad shape, I'll get mew ones. There's a date on the schematic of 2-11-66. The model number is 250-250 code is 6686-C serial number is AC-262923. Does anyone know when it was built? Also there is what i beleive is a capacitor that looks kinda sketchy. See picture. Also the polarity switch is very tight. I lubed the switch with WD-40 for now. I want to give this machine a once over before putting to use. It's not getting restored, just want to be sure there are no major issues.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

It's a 1970 and its equipped with power factor capacitors. The code 6686-P, the P indicates the capacitors. Take your time and lube everything up get it working free then put white grease on the amp adjust gears. The capacitor in your picture in not one of the power factor ones. They are behind that panel on either side of the fan. We run 6-3 SO power cord on the ones we recondition. Take your time and have fun enjoy your classic

Steve

Lincoln IdealArc 250
    Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    2015 Lincoln MP210

Post Thanks / Like

"USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

Post Thanks / Like

Just in case somebody has never scene power factor capacitors in an Idealarc 250 here is what the look like

Steve

Lincoln IdealArc 250
    Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    2015 Lincoln MP210

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a Mouse or Ground squirrel was taking up residency!

Post Thanks / Like

I found 2 mummified mice in mine.

Post Thanks / Like

It's amazing what gets in those welders over 30 years or so.

Steve

Lincoln IdealArc 250
    Steve

1990 Miller Dialarc 250
    2015 Lincoln MP210

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like someone's wife was storing bags of black oil sunflower seeds in the shop for the bird feeders.
    Jason
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist