+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: chevy help please !!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: chevy help please !!!!

thanks ase what im wondering is can i pull that injector and test it in anyway ?is there a way to tell its bad affter i pull it? the only other thing i found is the lower boot on the fuel regulator is cracked as shown in the pic(which i labled wrongly as pcv) do you think this could have anything to do with it ??? it is right above #5
    350P 30A spool gun cut master 51 syncro 250 other stuff
    " take a dog off the street and make him prosper and he will not bite you sad the same cannot be said for man" i didnt use punctuation just to piss you off

Post Thanks / Like

You can lift the fuel rail up and leave the lines connected. Go ahead and let it prime and have an assistant give a quick spin. If it ohms out ok and you have pulse and you can visually see it spray it's a pretty safe bet that it's good. also you can take a stethoscope and listen for them to click. Ase is right, fuel spark and compression are all that is needed, have to figure out which one you are missing and then we will work from there.

Post Thanks / Like

it that a vortech
    Lincoln Power Arc 4000
    Thermal Arc Fabricator 252 i
    Thermal arc 186
    Thermal Arc 26 tig
    Tweeko 200 amp spool gun
    Hobart AirForce 400
    WP-17V-12R

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by assassin_works View Post
    it that a vortech
    yes
    " take a dog off the street and make him prosper and he will not bite you sad the same cannot be said for man" i didnt use punctuation just to piss you off

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wrenchtamer View Post
    also you can take a stethoscope and listen for them to click.
    That will verify that the injector is opening, but still leaves the possibility of a clogged injector. Not saying that is the case here, but a clog will cause a misfire which is why I like your idea of lifting the fuel rail and looking for a visual spray of fuel.
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 (circa 1962)
    Lincoln Weldpak 155 w/Mig Kit
    Lincoln Squarewave TIG 175

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by umahunter View Post
    the only other thing i found is the lower boot on the fuel regulator is cracked as shown in the pic(which i labled wrongly as pcv) do you think this could have anything to do with it
    Absolutely could. Proper vacuum is crucial on modern engines. The PCM relies on manifold vacuum for EGR test routines and uses the MAP sensor to make decisions about proper engine operation. If you have a vacuum leak, it will affect many things, one of them being fuel pressure regulation. Replace ANY vacuum line or fitting that may be cracked.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by papaharley03 View Post
    That will verify that the injector is opening, but still leaves the possibility of a clogged injector. Not saying that is the case here, but a clog will cause a misfire which is why I like your idea of lifting the fuel rail and looking for a visual spray of fuel.
    but a bad knock sensor will also give you a miss fire code cause it controls advance timing
    i wish you were closer to help you out ...
    Lincoln Power Arc 4000
    Thermal arc 186
    Thermal Arc 26 tig
    Tweeko 200 amp spool gun
    Hobart AirForce 400
    WP-17V-12R

Post Thanks / Like

WOW dude.. I lost count of all the electrical connections that are vulnerable to water in your picture, there are spots that look visibly wet.. Hit it with some shop air and water dispersant even light machine oil and see what happens, replace the cracked boot because it may be leaking, if something feels loose then tighten it, something looks worn replace it and don't waste your money on a stethoscope a long thick shanked steel screw driver on the part with your ear to it is a cheaper and just as effective way if you don't have the stethoscope. where you have marked the EVAP it looks like there is a cracked hose or is that a dreaded clean spot??? I also notice you have two vacuum lines on the top, are they split at all? Snug fitting in the connections? No damage? I notice that it looks like you went through very dirty water so I am wondering if it might have to do with water and dirt getting into an electrical connection the water has left but the dirt is still there along with corrosion? Worth checking it all out bud.. If you do take it to the shop be 10000% HONEST because if you're not and they figure it out will you will pay and you will find they won't be so nice because you lied and made them do lots of things for nothing... I would be dumping all oils and looking for water (it will float on top) even check your brakes but remember that brake fluid absorbs water so drain from the bottom if you can, make it a point to check your differential oil and replace it as well because it more than likely needs it. If an electrical connection doesn't seem right then replace it if you are trained to do it (I am and got the certs to prove it but who uses them nowadays lol) if it is an automatic drain and replace the tranny fluid (have a sniff and I bet it smells burnt) check all vents and drains and be thorough about it too. And well if none of this helps let me know in a PM or here and lets take it from there. If you were closer to me I would say PM the address and lets get you on and off the road again..
    Tons of hand tools mostly Kingchrome
    Arc welder
    MiG welders
    O/A setup
    Many grinders
    air compressors
    many air tools
    Industrial drill press
    Two Forklifts
    many more tools
    Man has his will, but woman has her way.
    - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Post Thanks / Like

And remember it is usually the smallest of things that makes the BIGGEST difference.
    Tons of hand tools mostly Kingchrome
    Arc welder
    MiG welders
    O/A setup
    Many grinders
    air compressors
    many air tools
    Industrial drill press
    Two Forklifts
    many more tools
    Man has his will, but woman has her way.
    - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Post Thanks / Like

im kinda stumped i took the compression tester i have hf jobber and did a single cylinder test without removing all the spark plugs etc just pulled one plug and test cylinder 5 measured 60 then i tried 3 same so i went to the other side of the engine measured 90 at first then 60 im not sure if im getting a good reading or great seal since it hand twists in with a knurled round nut but i cant get in there to get tighter ???? but it seem to be the same all the way around ?????
    Did you have the throttle wide open when you did the test?
    Kevin

Hobart Handler 210
    Tweco Fabricator 181i
    Lincoln Squarewave Tig 175

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trackbird View Post
    Did you have the throttle wide open when you did the test?
    DBW (Drive By Wire)system. I doubt the throttle blades will open until the engine is running.

I may have missed something, but did you swap the coil packs on the driver side of the engine? #5 cylinder is the third sparkplug back from the front on the driver side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paintman40 View Post
    DBW (Drive By Wire)system. I doubt the throttle blades will open until the engine is running.
    I don't believe 1999 model year had DBW. My 2001 sure doesn't have it.

Papa

Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe 1999 model year had DBW. My 2001 sure doesn't have it.

Papa
    My 2007 (classic) does, but I don't know when the change was made.

Loosen the bolts and pull the throttle body forward an inch or so (or just take it off for a moment and unplug the coils), do the compression test, hook up the coils and put the bolts back in the throttle body. That's likely the easiest way if it's DBW.
    Kevin

Hobart Handler 210
    Tweco Fabricator 181i

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trackbird View Post
    My 2007 (classic) does, but I don't know when the change was made.
    Yours is about the first year for that. Now that we have DBW, big brother can use OnStar to bring your throttle to idle. They could only shut it off completely prior to DBW.

Post Thanks / Like

Yours is about the first year for that. Now that we have DBW, big brother can use OnStar to bring your throttle to idle. They could only shut it off completely prior to DBW.
    True. Mine is a "non-OnStar" truck. But it seems that I might have the last year for that too...
    Kevin

Hobart Handler 210
    Tweco Fabricator 181i

Post Thanks / Like

ok question on how to proceed to test the number 5 injector do i need to remove all cables etc off the top and then remove booth fuel rails together or can i remove the cross over tube attached above the regulator and just leave that injector plugged in then crank the key to see if it sprays ???? the way my book says to do it eg remove throttle cables vac lines etc then pull both rails together seems like it wouldn't work to get one to spray or am i missing something will it pulse just off electrical hook upand fuel still connected with throttle etc disconnected ??

Post Thanks / Like

with all due respect
    what does all this have anything to do with with the miss fire and you telling him to save his money but your telling him to spend it somewhere else

Quote Originally Posted by Mad about Metal View Post
    I would be dumping all oils and looking for water (it will float on top)

are you talking about water or oil last i checked water is heavier than oil so water will be found at the bottom so the min you crack the drain plug it will drain water first ...

even check your brakes but remember that brake fluid absorbs water so drain from the bottom if you can, drain from the bottom ????

yes it does adsorb water but an open bottle of fluid even if it is capped will adsorb water just from the air so in english dont buy more than what you need then throw the rest away cause it will adsorb water any how ... ok there are no drain plugs on the brake system other that the bleeders at ever wheel so to drain it properly is to suck the reservoir and then use a K-D Tools KD 2222 Brake Bleeder Tank to pressurize and fill the system

make it a point to check your differential oil and replace it as well because it more than likely needs it............ i agree on this

If an electrical connection doesn't seem right then replace it if you are trained to do it (I am and got the certs to prove it but who uses them nowadays lol)

trained to do it it dont take a rocket scientist to to re-pin a harness or buy a new one solder it and heat shrink it

if it is an automatic drain and replace the tranny fluid (have a sniff and I bet it smells burnt)

if it was a standard i guess you werent told that manual tranny's get there fluid changed too

check all vents and drains and be thorough about it too. And well if none of this helps let me know in a PM or here and lets take it from there. If you were closer to me I would say PM the address and lets get you on and off the road again..
    Lincoln Power Arc 4000
    Thermal arc 186
    Thermal Arc 26 tig
    Tweeko 200 amp spool gun
    Hobart AirForce 400
    WP-17V-12R

Post Thanks / Like

but a bad knock sensor will also give you a miss fire code cause it controls advance timing
    i wish you were closer to help you out ...
    with NO due respect what does a knock sensor have to do with a #5 cyl miss ??? Nothing !! how long did you got to UTI ?? 3 days ??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hog View Post
    with NO due respect what does a knock sensor have to do with a #5 cyl miss ??? Nothing !! how long did you got to UTI ?? 3 days ??
    how long did i got to UTI lol i went for 9 mo which gave me ase f u lol

lol funny part i have no respect for you but if you need to know 5 sit to the back of the motor so usually one of the ones that will **** up when you get an engine miss code it doesnt mean that the cylinder isnt getting a spark or fuel it could be a cause of another error in this case was water so it was running great till he hit water so what does that tell you
    1. the fuel system cant be dirty or clogged
    2. his electrical got wet so there is water somewhere on the electrical causing it to send a bad signal back to the engine management that is causing the miss
    3. he sucked up some water which isnt bad for the motor at certain levels a small constant amount will only cause it to run rough (like when you do sea foam threw a vacuum line) but it can set off a check engine light cause it ran rough long enough to record in the ECM so it creates a active problem as well a recorded problem
    4.the filter got completely saturated with the water and it was a constant amount of water which damaged the mass air flow meter causing it to run rough cause a knock sensor code to pop up on a scanner which is giving a miss fire

cant remember well but there are certain cylinders that will get affected with miss fire codes when there is a glitch with engine management system
    Lincoln Power Arc 4000
    Thermal arc 186
    Thermal Arc 26 tig
    Tweeko 200 amp spool gun
    Hobart AirForce 400
    WP-17V-12R

Post Thanks / Like

ok question on how to proceed to test the number 5 injector do i need to remove all cables etc off the top and then remove booth fuel rails together or can i remove the cross over tube attached above the regulator and just leave that injector plugged in then crank the key to see if it sprays ???? the way my book says to do it eg remove throttle cables vac lines etc then pull both rails together seems like it wouldn't work to get one to spray or am i missing something will it pulse just off electrical hook upand fuel still connected with throttle etc disconnected ??
    anyone ????

Post Thanks / Like

going to uti 9 mos doesnt GIVE you ase certs, you have to take the tests. the rest, well its easy to see you didnt graduate. rolmao.

Post Thanks / Like

well the way ive done it is using a pulse generator and an O scope both done on a bench and on the vehicle on bench there is a stand that holds it in place and pressurizes a cleaner or fuel then the pulse is generated to actuate the injector
    on vehicle we pull the spark plug out remove the injector wire plug in a generator put a vacuum hose down the in the cylinder and to suck the fuel out trigger it (the injector ) and activate the fuel pump
    Lincoln Power Arc 4000
    Thermal arc 186
    Thermal Arc 26 tig
    Tweeko 200 amp spool gun
    Hobart AirForce 400
    WP-17V-12R

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hog View Post
    going to uti 9 mos doesnt GIVE you ase certs, you have to take the tests. the rest, well its easy to see you didnt graduate. rolmao.
    well no sh!t Sherlock 9 mo of training and then you take the final (ase test ) god your stupid
    Last edited by assassin_works; 10-04-2011 at 08:02 PM.
    Lincoln Power Arc 4000
    Thermal arc 186
    Thermal Arc 26 tig
    Tweeko 200 amp spool gun
    Hobart AirForce 400
    WP-17V-12R

Post Thanks / Like

anyone ????
    why not just go to autozone and buy the 35 dollar injector ?? only number 5 is missing ,right??

Post Thanks / Like

well the way ive done it is using a pulse generator and an O scope both done on a bench and on the vehicle on bench there is a stand that holds it in place and pressurizes a cleaner or fuel then the pulse is generated to actuate the injector
    on vehicle we pull the spark plug out remove the injector wire plug in a generator put a vacuum hose down the in the cylinder and to suck the fuel out trigger it (the injector ) and activate the fuel pump
    as said before, your so full of **** i can smell you from here, 90 miles away. rolmao

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist