Thread: 1977 weldanpower 150 won't weld

Post Thanks / Like

1977 weldanpower 150 won't weld

I have an old Weldanpower 150 (AC only) with a kohler motor. Last time I used it was 2 years ago, was doing repair weld on trailer. Finished welding, and went to wire brush the slag, but no 115v power. tried to weld again, and it wouldn't weld. Long story short, I traced my way back to the armature, and found it open (no continuity), and it seems the armature is no longer available from Lincoln. Is there anyplace that rewinds these , or is it not worth it. Should I just "let go" and clear some space in the yard. I've had it for more than twenty years. My 2000w inverter won't run my 210mp, but there's almost always a 115v outlet somewhere, and I have a 100 ft 8/3 extension, with multiple 220v,208v,240v,30A,50A adapters. Finally after 16 years I put 240V 60A service in the garage. Maybe its time? https://www.weldingweb.com/images/smilies/bigcry.gif

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1977 weldanpower 150 won't weld

240VAC 200A Nothing less!

The difference in cost will be noticeable, but not bad.

You will never kick yourself for 'going too small".

-----------------

Are you certain it's the welder's armature and not the brushes? Also look into the possibility that an armature from a slightly different model may work...
    Be wary of The Numbers: Figures don't lie,. but liars can figure.
    Welders:
    2008 Lincoln 140 GMAW&FCAW
    2012 HF 165 'toy' GTAW&SMAW
    1970's Cobbled together O/A

Post Thanks / Like

Have you inspected for a broken connection at the slip ring-to-winding leads?

Broken slip ring?

Check for continuity (short) between each slip ring and rotor shaft/ground?
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

Why a 60 amp service? All the parts were salvage from and indusrial demo. My house only has a 100amp service, its an old farmhouse.The garage is 75 feet from the house. The price was right. I haven't tripped the breaker yet...

Unfortunately when I traced it to the armature, the slip rings were good as I traced the into the winding as far as my meter probe could go. Somewhere in that bundle of wires there is an open. I thought maybe I could put it in a clear plastic bag, fill it with argon, and put leads from my tig welder on it, set to 20amps continous HF and see where the open is. I called a local generator guy near me and he said alot of the older single cylinder welders/generators seem to have the same problem. He said the vibration kills them. Just thought there might be a lincoln salvage guy someplace with piles of them somewhere. Motors still in good shape, just have to clean points if it sits for a while. The longer it sits, the more mice I'm gonna have to pull out of it.

Post Thanks / Like

If you checked resistance with an ohmmeter, sometimes you can get false readings because of high contact resistance from the tips. You can also check for continuity if you have a power supply with an ammeter or even a car battery charger (with an ammeter). Go across the rings and see if the needle swings. Just double-check your conclusions. (You may be right, but it sometimes pays to double check stuff.)

Post Thanks / Like

I have a pretty good Fluke MultiMeter I use everyday with a good set of test leads, worn enough to see the copper because the plating is worn on the tips. I scraped the shellac on the wire where i could reach. When I first checked, I was hoping the open/break would be near the slip rings where the wire is unsupported going into the the main windings. If it were accessible maybe I could silver solder it. Its probably the only part that I couldn't find or improvise.