Thread: TIG On Aluminum Rails

Post Thanks / Like

TIG On Aluminum Rails

I finally got these installed and got some pictures. I tried to post these but the pictures came out sideways, no matter what I did with the picture. So I had to edit them and then they posted well.

Name:  SideView.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  54.8 KB

Name:  diaginalveiw.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  57.5 KB

Name:  FrontView.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  52.4 KB

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: TIG On Aluminum Rails

Really nice job. Railings look out of place on that particular house (style).

Post Thanks / Like

Nice William. What's with the ones with the brick pillar? Along the driveway?

Quote Originally Posted by Weld_ View Post
    Railings look out of place on that particular house (style).
    I think they look quite attractive and go well with the style.
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

I think without some close up pics the title should just be "some railings I installed"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post

To me I always pictured something like that on an ultramodern style house with a lot of glass. to each his own but definitely nice workmanship regardless

Post Thanks / Like

Good job William. Looks like a white powder coat or is it just the time of day/light ?
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post

Thank You.

As a favor I sandblasted all of the existing steel and iron rails in front, and put some heavy duty primer and a coat of polyurethane white on them.
    Name:  WideAngleFrontView.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  53.2 KB

That is solid bar welded to the aluminum pipe, I preheat well, and get them very hot, I penetrate very deep. But I do not undercut the corners of the solid bars where they meet the weld. That takes some practice. You cannot care to much about evenness of the weld. You have to just make sure you do not leave it negative. That is honestly all I care about, other than a solid weld that can take serious abuse. Sometimes I have to bend the rail and beat each bar top and bottom to hold the shape I want, or undue the pull of the welds. I grind and sand them smooth so the weld has to be good. Pretty not so much in this case.

Name:  closeup.JPG
Views: 459
Size:  23.3 KB

Name:  closeup2.JPG
Views: 457
Size:  15.0 KB

Name:  closeup3.JPG
Views: 450
Size:  3.9 KB

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Good job William. Looks like a white powder coat or is it just the time of day/light ?
    Yes you are correct Crystal White powder after a lot of grinding.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work on the rails, and thanks for taking the time to edit the pics so I don't have to view them sideways!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks real good!

Post Thanks / Like

That looks fantastic William. You got a talent for rail for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

idk if the railings match the house but definitely well done mac.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the compliments guys. I do not know if anyone noticed but those rails are angled down well beyond the angle of the steps. At the top they are 4 plus inches above the stoop, and at the bottom they are less than an inch off the steps. But if you look at them they almost look as if they are angled upwards or not down enough. I came across this years ago when I made a set exactly correct and they looked like a guy wearing a pair of pants that were eight inches too short. It is some sort of optical illusion that you have to compensate for. It will save you a lot of head scratching and measuring, and explaining to the customer.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    Thank you for the compliments guys. I do not know if anyone noticed but those rails are angled down well beyond the angle of the steps. At the top they are 4 plus inches above the stoop, and at the bottom they are less than an inch off the steps. But if you look at them they almost look as if they are angled upwards or not down enough. I came across this years ago when I made a set exactly correct and they looked like a guy wearing a pair of pants that were eight inches too short. It is some sort of optical illusion that you have to compensate for. It will save you a lot of head scratching and measuring, and explaining to the customer.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    Very, very nice work. As total newbie and welding just for beer money, can I assume work like yours goes for upwards of $200 per hour, or more??????

Pete
    Everlast i210 with 200a spool gun
    Everlast i140e
    LOTOS LTP5000D Non-Touch Pilot Arc

"Things are never so bad that they can't get worse...."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fps View Post
    Very, very nice work. As total newbie and welding just for beer money, can I assume work like yours goes for upwards of $200 per hour, or more??????

Pete
    These were actually just favors. I am an alarm technician for the city of New York. IBEW Local 3.

But in life when I was doing this everyday about 6 years back. The boss would pay me about $25 an hour. But then we would get prevailing wage jobs and I would get $78 an hour. So it was all good.

I just built this for my sons wedding Last Sunday. I just love a good project.

The LED lights activated by remote control and or music cost $30.00 and the DC to DC buck boost inverter, was about $50, I borrowed a battery from my boss. The rest was wood work, and paint.

I started out at 15 years old in a NAZI cabinet shop haha. Or at least that is how I like to tell the story about it. Haha. He was really a good guy I am still personal friends with him. He used to kick me in the shins when I would mess him up. I was always clowning around. My father told him to do that. I had scholarships to C.W. Post college, for wining a first place in the Long Island Science congress with a working solar house. I dropped out of school when I was 15, my father sent me out to work. I had to pay rent and all. My father was so mad at me. Because he wanted a degree. I could care less. One of the professors they used to send to our school to lecture the honor students told us that as of 1973 there would be no more real American education allowed in schools by law. I thought he might have been exaggerating but it turned out he played down what was coming as many today are realizing.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

Here it is at the wedding.

There were little wooden hearts on that table next to the heart. Everyone signed a heart and placed it into the big heart.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    Last edited by William McCormick; 05-29-2016 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Added more info