+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ugly Drum Smoker

Post Thanks / Like

Ugly Drum Smoker

Here is a smoker that I made out of a 55 gallon food-grade drum. Initially, I tried to bend a cheap Uniflame lid to fit. I scrapped this idea and ordered a Weber lid. I installed a Rutland stove gasket on the lid and it is air tight. This thing smokes great. It will hold temps from 225-325F. I can get about 10 hours out of 1 basket of charcoal. Also, there are some pics of things that I have smoked. The first is a boston butt and the second is a chuck roast.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ugly Drum Smoker

Any smoker that turns out a fine looking piece of meat like that sure ain't ugly!!

I just finished supper and now I'm hungry again. Nice job!
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    '68 Red Face Code #6633 project
    Star Jet 21-110

Save Second Base!

Post Thanks / Like

I'll take a pulled pork Sammy stat!! Nice looking UDS!

Post Thanks / Like

I have envied them for years over at the smoke ring forum. I am going to build one for sure this year. I do have one question. what is the pipe and nipple on the side for? I understand the valve is for the air, but what about the other?

Great build by the way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Young View Post
    I have envied them for years over at the smoke ring forum. I am going to build one for sure this year. I do have one question. what is the pipe and nipple on the side for? I understand the valve is for the air, but what about the other?

Great build by the way.
    Good question. I welded in three 3/4" black pipe nipples for air vents. 2 of them are capped and 1 has a ball valve. When bringing the smoker up to temperature, I have all 3 wide open. When I get within 25* of my target temp, I put the caps on 2 of them. Smoking at 250*, I have 2 valves closed and the ball valve about 3/4 open. Also, when cooking wings, I smoke them at 250* for a few hours. Then, I open all 3 vents wide open and bring the smoker up to 350-400* to crisp up the skin.
    Last edited by morgaj1; 10-09-2011 at 10:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Was the inside of that barrell coated, or plain steel? I've got a bvarrell sitting in my backyard, and want to make a smoker, but the inside is coated and I'm not sure of the best way to get it out. Also, do you load the charcoal in from the top, or is there a door on the other side?

Post Thanks / Like

Birdwell, burn it out, nice & hot. Put your air vent holes in first, then let that puppy burn.

I used a cut up pallet on mine. It was a former grease drum.

Fill the charcoal basket from the top, then the grate goes on. Meat or ABT's goes on the grate. 6-10 hours later, pull off the meat & let it rest for a while.

You won't be sorry if you build one.
    Mark
    I haven't always been a nurse........
    Craftsman 12"x36" Lathe
    Enco G-30B Mill
    Hobart Handler 175
    Lincoln WeldandPower 225 AC/DC G-7 CV/CC
    Add a Foot Pedal to a Harbor Freight Chicago Electric 165A DC TIG
    PapaLion's Gate Build

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by morgaj1 View Post
    Good question. I welded in three 3/4" black pipe nipples for air vents. 2 of them are capped and 1 has a ball valve. When bringing the smoker up to temperature, I have all 3 wide open. When I get within 25* of my target temp, I put the caps on 2 of them. Smoking at 250*, I have 2 valves closed and the ball valve about 3/4 open. Also, when cooking wings, I smoke them at 250* for a few hours. Then, I open all 3 vents wide open and bring the smoker up to 350-400* to crisp up the skin.
    gotcha...That is what I figured but having never read about it, and only seeing it, I was at a loss.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be making one of these http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32327 this winter/spring. and can't wait! I'm salivating already.
    There are no problems. There are only solutions. It's your duty to determine the right one.

Hobart Handler 210
    Airco 225 Amp MSM Stinger

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Birdwell4 View Post
    Also, do you load the charcoal in from the top, or is there a door on the other side?
    I have a basket I made out of expanded metal on the inside.

It's ugly, but works real well. I couldn't get the expanded metal to form a nice circle, but it still works. If I am going to be smoking for 8-10 hours, I will put about 7-8lbs of Kingsford blue bag charcoal in the basket. Then, I start about 15 coals in the chimney starter. Once they are white hot, I pour them over the unlit coals (minion method). I also add about 3-4 chunks of hickory, cherry or apple wood. As long as you don't keep lifting the lid, these things are rock solid in holding temps. Since I got the drum for free, I've got maybe $100 in it. Best $100 I've spent in a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow what time do we eat!!!!! ugly doesn't matter the meat can't see anymore, heck I'm ugly and I work real well!!!

Post Thanks / Like

the meat looks so good i almost forgot the thread was about the smoker
    Miller 211 w/MVP
    Spoolmate 100
    Turbo-Torch
    and the ever popular B.F.H.

Post Thanks / Like

I built one a year or two ago and love it. Last smoke I got 19 hours at rock solid 225 degrees, never had to touch it. I need to add a shelf and wheels for mine, just haven't gotten around to it.

Charcoal basket:

Inside:

UDS:

It's painted now. Those pics were when I first built it. It has made some good eats.

Slicing up a fatty:

1st Butt:

Yummy...

Post Thanks / Like

Nevermind, got my pics resized.
    Last edited by T-Bird; 10-11-2011 at 11:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Built mine about 3 years ago and still going strong. I have built at least 10 this past summer for co-workers and in the finishing stages of another this weekend. last picture is a San Diego Chargers smoker
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

I built one a couple years ago as well, and I love it! People can't believe the food that comes out of it! I want to add some wheels, and a shelf on the outside of mine, but haven't gotten around to it.
    I added a pizza pan from wally world on the bottom of my basket to act as an ash catcher. When I lift out the basket, the ash comes with it, no need to dump the barrel.

Can easily fit 3 8-10 lb pork shoulders on the bottom rack, and 3 racks of ribs on the top....mmmmm

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, y'all's smokers look much better than min. I like the liftable basket idea. It is a pain to shop-vac mine out every time.

Post Thanks / Like

This will be my next smoker project, I'm holding out for a food grade barrel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeanMurphy265 View Post
    This will be my next smoker project, I'm holding out for a food grade barrel.
    Try to find one without a liner. A good idea is to see if there are any food processing plants in your area. Most of their hydraulic equipment must use food-grade hydraulic oil. I got mine from a chicken processing plant that had food-grade hydraulic oil in it and no liner. It was a breeze to make. I cut the top out with my plasma cutter and then burned it out. It came out nicely.

Post Thanks / Like

I made one about a year ago, got some tasty meat from it so far.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a picture of mine, love this thing. I smoked a 14hour brisket and slept through the night. un believable how efficient they are.

Name:  BBQ 122.jpg
Views: 2572
Size:  64.0 KB

Name:  all 199.jpg
Views: 2577
Size:  50.3 KB

Name:  all 197.jpg
Views: 2430
Size:  100.9 KB

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist