+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to start out

Post Thanks / Like

How to start out

I'm completely new to welding with no experience, I'm wondering how should I go about getting into welding?
    Should I go to school for a degree or be trying to find an apprenticeship? I'm starting out completely at zero.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to start out

Are you wanting to be a hobby welder or do it for a living? How old are you? Do you currently have a job and financial responsibilities?

Post Thanks / Like

Take some welding classes at a Tec school first to see if welding is for you. I've seen many people want to be a welder and after seeing how hard the work is decide to find another career.

Post Thanks / Like

Tell us your location. Maybe a member here can give you one on one instruction.
    Or run an ad in your local paper for someone who can weld, for one on one instruction.
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

For a living, I'm 22 and I currently have a job not a whole lot of financial responsibilities other than rent, car insurance and phone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEP View Post
    Tell us your location. Maybe a member here can give you one on one instruction.
    Or run an ad in your local paper for someone who can weld, for one on one instruction.
    I live in Brooklyn Center, MN. But plan on moving in a few months.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous4-11 View Post
    I live in Brooklyn Center, MN. But plan on moving in a few months.
    Do you know where you're moving to? If so, you might be able to get signed up for some fall community college classes in welding before the deadline.

As kctqb said, you definitely want to get your feet wet before deciding you want to be a welder. IMO the majority of welding jobs just plain stink. Day after day of the same thing on an assembly line somewhere. Whether that assembly line is in a muddy ditch or in a factory. Running beads is about as mindless as a job gets. I mean in my mind when I think of what Hell must be like, I think of running the exact same bead from now into eternity.

It's not all bad, obviously. And some people are more cut out for running beads than I am. But seriously. Try it out before you get your heart set on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tbone550 View Post
    Do you know where you're moving to? If so, you might be able to get signed up for some fall community college classes in welding before the deadline.

As kctqb said, you definitely want to get your feet wet before deciding you want to be a welder. IMO the majority of welding jobs just plain stink. Day after day of the same thing on an assembly line somewhere. Whether that assembly line is in a muddy ditch or in a factory. Running beads is about as mindless as a job gets. I mean in my mind when I think of what Hell must be like, I think of running the exact same bead from now into eternity.

It's not all bad, obviously. And some people are more cut out for running beads than I am. But seriously. Try it out before you get your heart set on it.
    Yeah, I'm mostly just wondering if that what I really have to do though. As in going to a tech school or finding a school specifically for welding or even finding an apprenticeship. If there's a way I can work towards this asap without having to take out loans and owe money(school) that would be great, if not and going to school is what I have to do I'll take that into consideration. As for the assembly line type stuff I'm currently working at one and work with a distal laser, idk if you would call that laser welding or not but yeah.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist