+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how high the voltage in a stick welding machine can reach?

Post Thanks / Like

how high the voltage in a stick welding machine can reach?

Hello, I have an inverter 200 amps welding machine and I was wondering if the voltage goes up while I'm welding. the welder should have 60 volt before starting to weld, which is border with safety voltage. is I'm welding in the heat goes up conductivity goes down I assume the welder try to compensate and higher the voltage and so the surface has higher voltage. is it true? thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Re: how high the voltage in a stick welding machine can reach?

The old buzz box's typically have 40 to 80 ocv.
    This aids in start the weld then drops down to 18 to 24 volts for most rod. Larger rods may a higher voltage.

The voltage is taken from the stinger and point of weld not the machine.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by meni View Post
    Hello, I have an inverter 200 amps welding machine and I was wondering if the voltage goes up while I'm welding. the welder should have 60 volt before starting to weld, which is border with safety voltage. is I'm welding in the heat goes up conductivity goes down I assume the welder try to compensate and higher the voltage and so the surface has higher voltage. is it true? thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Most stick and TIG welders are constant current, even if it is an inverter, so I would expect the voltage to change as the welder tries to maintain a constant welding current. But that voltage change may be up or down. The arc length will be the main factor in that.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

You're thinking about it too much. The local conductivity goes down due to temperature, but the path of least resistance will be followed, which will be along the lower temperature gradient. And even then, its not that much different. Clamp an ammeter to your stinger or work clamp and record it as you weld. I'd bet you'd be surprised at how small the difference is.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

5. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe the highest OCV you'll see in a constant current welder is 80 volts.

https://www.materialwelding.com/what...r%20insulation.

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk
    Sent via smoke signals using my Lincoln buzzbox

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    Most stick and TIG welders are constant current, even if it is an inverter, so I would expect the voltage to change as the welder tries to maintain a constant welding current. But that voltage change may be up or down. The arc length will be the main factor in that.
    so could it be above 80 volt for example? because it evolves means if I touch the metal that I'm welding I might get electrified right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    You're thinking about it too much. The local conductivity goes down due to temperature, but the path of least resistance will be followed, which will be along the lower temperature gradient. And even then, its not that much different. Clamp an ammeter to your stinger or work clamp and record it as you weld. I'd bet you'd be surprised at how small the difference is.
    I would like to try it but I will need the partner and then try maybe I will come and give an update in the future

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    I believe the highest OCV you'll see in a constant current welder is 80 volts.

https://www.materialwelding.com/what...r%20insulation.

leather gloves are about heat insulation not electric insulation so I'm not sure whether 80 volts is not too dangerous

Post Thanks / Like

leather gloves are about heat insulation not electric insulation so I'm not sure whether 80 volts is not too dangerous
    Just do not put yourself between the stinger/rod and the work.

Work smart. Wear good shoes and standup when you need to mess with the stinger or load a new rod.

Last edited by danielplace; 05-31-2022 at 10:28 AM.

11. Likes chewinggum, Louie1961, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with oscar, you're overthinking this. You apparently have a fear of electricity. By using common sense you'll eventually get over this. Post #9 explains this common sense.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

I agree.
    Alway use proper clothing even in 110°F days.

I have read a few welders had over 100 OC voltage it will give a shock too.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    Just do not put yourself between the stinger/rod and the work.

Work smart. Wear good shoes and standup when you need to mess with the stinger or load a new rod.
    Last edited by smithdoor; 05-31-2022 at 09:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

My 1974 Miller Dialarc 250 is 75 vdc or 76 vac. Of course the peak voltage on AC could be higher depending on how it's specified.
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

Post Thanks / Like

SA 200's if I recall have up to 93 open circuit volts. Normally you can get a pretty good shock but not enough to do you any harm. Sometimes for what ever reason you can get a bigger shock that really opens your eyes. Won't kill you but can give you a good scare. My welding teacher in school used to make everyone hold the rod and ground clamp to show the shock won't harm you but he stopped doing that when he got a really good shock one time.

16. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was welding a cap on an artisian well with an sae 200 i dont know my amps but young and dumb i had my waterproof boots in the ditch were the 100 gallon a minute was flowing over i was completely drenched, once you get so wet who cares, well im welding away went to change rods got a mild shock from wet gloves, jerked and dropped my stinger down between my soaked pants and my boots, felt like someone kicked me in the gonads and wouldnt stop. im trying to get the stinger out while im getting a dc shock, nuts up around my lungs and everytime i grabbed at it i would get shocked somewere else the other guys there were laughing so hard they they couldnt help me it was probably only seconds but felt like minutes, finally got it untangled. and i welded the cap on a different way. So basicly it will not kill you just hurt like the almighty is mad at you
    Last edited by idacal; 06-05-2022 at 01:32 PM.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by idacal View Post
    I was welding a cap on an artisian well with an sae 200 i dont know my amps but young and dumb i had my waterproof boots in the ditch were the 100 gallon a minute was flowing over i was completely drenched, once you get so wet who cares, well im welding away went to change rods got a mild shock from wet gloves, jerked and dropped my stinger down between my soaked pants and my boots, felt like someone kicked me in the gonads and wouldnt stop. im trying to get the stinger out while im getting a dc shock, nuts up around my lungs and everytime i grabbed at it i would get shocked somewere else the other guys there were laughing so hard they they couldnt help me it was probably only seconds but felt like minutes, finally got it untangled. and i welded the cap on a different way. So basicly it will not kill you just hurt like the almighty is mad at you
    Did that once straddling a wet pipe. All was good 'til the gloves got wet, then the stinger went flying into the pond.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by idacal View Post
    That pretty much defines "learning the hard way".

I've had the good fortune to not have to weld in the water.

Worst I recall doing is when I was welding up something in the mud, I was knelt down in the mud, finished my tack welds, layed the stinger next to me, and as I stood up, I slipped and jammed the stinger into my arm. Shock went from my left arm to my right knee. It HURT.

Sent via smoke signals using my Lincoln buzzbox

Post Thanks / Like

OCV open circuit voltage I have seen as high as 90 volts, many inverters if you pull a long arc you cannot maintain a high voltage,
    its a second +/- of higher voltage that quickly drops
    thats for dab dab welding, guy welding 16ga 3/32 6013 75 amps will weld 2 or 3 seconds and stop arc, is easier if ocv is slow to go back to 90 volts,
    wait 3 or more seconds and bring the hot rod close and usually arc restarts (cause of high ocv) before you actually touch, plenty of
    youtube videos showing stick welding .060 and .040" thick usually square tubing (.040 thick usually easier with 5/64" rod at 55 amps)
    old transformer welders you could pull a 1/2 to 3/4" long 6010 arc and maintain it traveling down a painted surface to warm paint up so it brushes off easier.
    air carbon arc usually need 70 ocv or higher and machine that can maintain the high voltage with a long arc, 250-350amp air carbon arc can
    gouge carve steel fast, noisy but fast, machine thats made for air carbon arc are usually big like 300 to 500 amps machines

Post Thanks / Like

AC current is much more dangerous than DC current. depending on the conditions, 120v AC from a wall socket can kill you. Its not a guaranteed death sentence by any means. When I was a paramedic, we rescued a city worker who was trying to change a light bulb in a street lamp that had a faulty ground. He took 120v across his arms (probably the most dangerous way to get hit) for at least 20 minutes before we could get the power cut and get him down. He survived but spent time in the burn unit. DC can kill you too, but it is a lot harder to get killed by DC welding current.

I have been shocked a few time when stick welding (on DC), 1-2 times by the HF starting current when TIG welding, and never while MIG welding. Generally speaking, it hurt a bit, but never injured me. If your leather welding gloves are dry and not impregnated with a bunch of metal shavings, they will protect you from the electricity of your welder. The simplest and best answer was already given. Just do not insert yourself into the welding circuit and you will be fine. You can't get shocked just by leaning on the table. You have to somehow insert yourself between the electrode and the work clamp. Most of the time I have done that was by grabbing the welding rod (stick welding) while leaning on the table, with the work lead clamped to the table.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

A welder isn’t going to electrocute you. It will give you a shock but that’s it. It can be quite unpleasant trying to weld in the rain/wet especially on a steel barge or boat in the water. Welding underwater can be really painful to say the least if you burn a hole in your glove or touch the work with one hand while holding the stinger in the other. Best to have someone topside to turn the machine off and on when you tell them to or tug on a line. But even in salt water it’s not going to electrocute you it’s no worse then grabbing a live 110v wire it will hurt but you’ll be fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you’ll become less concerned with shock.
    In welding school I was taught to always wear gloves when
    changing electrodes. At some point, a long time ago, I
    “unlearned “ that and have taken my gloves off to put rods
    in the stinger for many years. The only times I remember
    getting a shock while stick welding, I was sitting on steel
    grating and sweating (creating a better ground path)
    while welding overhead. Burns were more of a concern
    to me than shock.
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

Post Thanks / Like

The bottom line here is that if you dislike shocks, stay dry and turn the machine off to switch rods. If you fear electrocution, stay dry and keep your tongue off the electrode.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

25. Likes SweetMK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    The bottom line here is that if you dislike shocks, stay dry and turn the machine off to switch rods. If you fear electrocution, stay dry and keep your tongue off the electrode.
    ….but don’t expect to get paid an hourly rate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

27. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Are we missing something here, he is asking about during weld,,,, current goes up, V goes down. It lowers the V potential once arc is struck, very same, around 30 or so maybe,,,, and is shorting to the work which is so much better path when lit than the body even soaking wet. OCV a slightly different matter. Welding circuit not connected at this point and operator can be in series with it.
    Lots of pipe guys make living in wet mud holes, sat on a lot of steel welding.

Post Thanks / Like

The voltage is proportional to the arc length.
    With a constant current stick welder, the amps are set by the user by adjusting the machine.
    Then the voltage can be adjusted by varying the arc length.

Short arc length, low volts, longer arc length, higher volts.

The math is voltsXamps = watts.

Short arc length equals lower watts, longer arc length equals higher watts.

So, when you are welding, and the weld is a little too hot, shorten the arc length, that will reduce the heat (watts) generated at the weld.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist