Thread: Using an aluminum alloy wheel for grinder stand

Post Thanks / Like

Using an aluminum alloy wheel for grinder stand

Hello,

I have a newbie question as it relates to working with an aluminum alloy, something I have not yet attempted.

My father happened to have a 20" aluminum alloy wheel from an older suburban he no longer needed. I was thinking of using it as a base for a grinder stand. I have some 3" steel pipe that fits perfectly in the hub opening but I began scratching my head on how I might combine the two.

I have the ESAB Rebel and have used all 3 methods (MIG, TIG and Stick) on other projects, but they have all been steel. Granted the unit does not offer AC TIG, but would I still be able to achieve results using one of the functions I currently have?

If this wheel is not a good choice I will end up going with my original plan of finding an old scrap steel wheel, but thought I would at least ask here first.

This is just a hobby outside my real job so please bare with me...basic welding classes are in the near future!

Here is a photo of the wheel, it is polished but not chromed.
    Name:  27616.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  12.8 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Using an aluminum alloy wheel for grinder stand

You could just weld a steel plate to the 3" piece, round it for a top mount or leave it square and bolt it to the bottom of the wheel center. Just a thought.
    Last edited by azsprint6; 06-02-2016 at 08:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, you are probably right, that may be the easiest. Weld the plate onto the wheel end of the pipe and cut holes to match up with lugs holes and bolt away.

Post Thanks / Like

Drill the lug pattern in a steel plate and weld it to the pipe like was said. I have a steel pulley from when factories used line shafting. It has a pipe stuck in it with the grinder mounted on a plate on top. Works good unless I push on it really hard.
    It's hard to weld when you can't see.

Post Thanks / Like

If the 3" steel pipe fits perfectly into the hub opening, you could epoxy it in there. It's not like it needs to hold ten tons of force...

Post Thanks / Like

Easier to use a steel wheel.Weld in a square plate into the center hole.Stand can be 2 inch pipe.Weld flat stock on top for grinder base.I have 2 roller stands for my planer made this way.The upright tubes telescope to match planer height.You can add weight to the steel wheel if needed.

Post Thanks / Like

The plate doesn't even need to pick up all the lug holes. You could get away with a piece of 2" wide material and just pick up 2 of the holes.