Thread: Home Depot aluminum tubing.....4043? 6061??

Post Thanks / Like

Home Depot aluminum tubing.....4043? 6061??

Anyone know what Home Depots aluminum tubing is? I got some to weld up a project and I'd like to get some filler to match. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Home Depot aluminum tubing.....4043? 6061??

I recently tried to find out myself. Not the tube specifically, but Home Depot aluminum (and other "big box stores' " aluminum). I even checked out the manufacturer (importer?) and still came up empty. Probably 6061 is all I came up with, but nothing definitive.

What is the project, anything critical?

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of aluminum material sold at big box stores like Blowe's and Home Cheapo is anodized. So check that before you buy anything. If it is, it is almost certainly 6061. Not certain, but probable.

That said, it should be labeled? I really wouldn't know, I use reputable metal suppliers exclusively.

You don't need to buy filler metal of the same alloy if you don't want to. There are a handful of common filler metal types that will work well with the most commonly found aluminum alloys.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly Welder View Post
    Lots of aluminum material sold at big box stores like Blowe's and Home Cheapo is anodized. So check that before you buy anything. If it is, it is almost certainly 6061. Not certain, but probable.

That said, it should be labeled? I really wouldn't know, I use reputable metal suppliers exclusively.

You don't need to buy filler metal of the same alloy if you don't want to. There are a handful of common filler metal types that will work well with the most commonly found aluminum alloys.
    Good call on the anodizing, some is and some isn't.

Also, none I've seen at Home Depot/Lowes/etc. was labeled as to what alloy it is. It is overpriced, but I figured it would be nice to know what it was in case I wanted just a small bit for a project.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, 6061 is far and away the most commonly used alloy when it comes to extrusions like that. That is my best guess, having no other knowledge to go off of. If you were buying from a metal supplier, it could also be 6063 or 6101, but I doubt that the big box stores will stock more specialized alloys like that.
    Last edited by Hillbilly Welder; 06-04-2016 at 09:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I picked some 1/8"x2" and 1/4"x2" from Home Depot a few months back and it welder fine, I used 4043 filler. Made some gas can holders for the race trailer.
    www.georgesplasmacuttershop.com
    Plasma Cutter and Welder Sales and Repairs--Ebay store
    Tec.Mo. Dealer Consumables for the PT and IPT torch's