Thread: Oh happy day

Post Thanks / Like

Oh happy day

Finally got the go ahead to buyh a new mig. It only took about a year. So right away went to town and came home with a new 252. Got her all set up and working on first repair with it. Man it is nice to have some power. Although it will take some getting used too. The old 175 new it buy heart. Now I spend a lot of time in the quick reference looking up settings but will be fun learning.
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Oh happy day

You'll really like the 252. I had a 175 and never really liked it. In fact I liked the 135 I had before it better. But the 252 is better than both except on the lower end. I never had a better light gauge welder than the 135.
    Millermatic 252
    XMT 304's
    Dynasty 280DX
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1250
    Miller Trailblazer 302 EFI
    Optima Pulser
    XR feeder and XR Edge gun
    and more at
    http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on ^^^. A fab shop I worked at several years ago had a couple of 252's which we used w/ .035 solid wire as production welders making dumpsters. The only thing not to like was the junk Miller M-15 or whatever-it-is standard gun, which quickly melted under production use. Swapped them with heavy duty Bernards and they made a great welder. The recommendations for V and WFS per material thickness on the flip-down info panel seemed to be way off - too cold. So I wouldn't put too much stock in them if I were you.

Otherwise, good machines. They made great welds with SuperArc L-56 and 75/25.

Post Thanks / Like

at the community college we weld for about 3 hours straight, taking turns 2 people per machine (252's). I love it, but do not see that price tag happening for me anytime soon for personal use. congrats on your new machine!
    miller syncrowave 250
    hobart handler 140
    home made 400 amp engine driven in progress...

Post Thanks / Like

I just picked up a very nice "pre owned" not used ! 252 a couple of weeks ago and welded with it for the first time this last Sunday. tbone550 your right i found the same as what you said the settings they recommend seem to be to cold need to just experiment a little . damn nice machine though . Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Added a couple more hours of hood time today. The chart does seem a little cold but figuring it out is half the fun. The old 175 ran wide open all the time. Have welded from 11ga up to 1/2 on the 252. More power is a good thing.
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's

Post Thanks / Like

Are you looking at a co2 chart or a mixed gas chart. A lot of welders need 2 volts more to weld with co2 than with mixed gas. This may be why the chart seems cold.
    Mixed gas chart and you are using co2?? Just add 2 volts to the chart and should weld good.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you keep the 175, or dump it?
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & ISV Bible

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

you know, I kept feeling the chart settings were cold in class. but then the "teacher" looks at a mountain of a bead on a flat piece of plate and calls it good looking, when to me based on paying attention here, it looked cold and slow..
    miller syncrowave 250
    hobart handler 140
    home made 400 amp engine driven in progress...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ccawgc View Post
    Are you looking at a co2 chart or a mixed gas chart. A lot of welders need 2 volts more to weld with co2 than with mixed gas. This may be why the chart seems cold.
    Mixed gas chart and you are using co2?? Just add 2 volts to the chart and should weld good.
    I was on the right chart.

Post Thanks / Like

Keeping the 175 for small portable jobs as it will run off the ranger.
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's

Post Thanks / Like

i really liked my mm175 and never have had problems with it. when i bought my 252 it was nice to have the more power but i hated the m25 gun so i bought the radnor/tweco pro 250 and what a big difference it made. i use 035 in the 252 and 030 in the 175. i did change the run in on the 252 to 80 and it made a big difference in starts. most guys i have talked to had problems with the m10 guns on their 175's but mine is 6 yrs old and has never gave a problem.
    225NT bobcat
    AEAD200LE
    Scott 125
    mm175, mm252 w 30A, PT225
    mm211, TA 181i
    Hyper Therm 380, cut master 52
    9100X & XX, Digital Elite
    6 Victor sets
    smith little torch, meco midget
    kalamazoo band saw
    steel max saw
    evoulution circular saw

Post Thanks / Like

My 175 was a good little machine that thing had beed maxed out on the duty cycly more times than I could count would un plug it hot swith to the stick for a while and come back to the 175. MY m10 lasted about 5 years till it was strectched to about 11 feet 1 to many times than I bought a radnor tweeco knock off. THe 252's gun hasnt given me to many probs yet. did change from 1/2 flat to 5/8 recessed nozzle.
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's

Post Thanks / Like

the 2 biggest things i didn't like about the m25 is the angle of the nozzle to the gun. while bench welding i always had have my elbow stuck up in the air which for me got uncomfortable as hell in short order. especially with the #2 problem that the gun lead is so darn stiff it works you instead of you working it. the pro 250 has more like an 80* angle so your arm is more to your side and more comfortable. you can also swivel the nozzle neck 360* on the gun so an off angle weld can be made more easily (never used this feature). the nozzle also slides so you can adjust the tip stick out if needed. the gun handle feels better in my hand also. oh and the trigger is as soft and smooth as the trigger on a target rifle. the lead is so flexible you can you can loop it in about a 6" circle instead of a 2' one with the m25. it uses tweco parts. cheaper than miller. all for the cost of around $150.
    225NT bobcat
    AEAD200LE
    Scott 125
    mm175, mm252 w 30A, PT225
    mm211, TA 181i
    Hyper Therm 380, cut master 52
    9100X & XX, Digital Elite
    6 Victor sets
    smith little torch, meco midget
    kalamazoo band saw
    steel max saw
    evoulution circular saw

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know. Havent had trouble with the lead yet maybe cause it is similar to the one on my 175. Have had more prblems with spatter in the nozzle but nothing too serious.
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's