Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 90

Thread: Salary

  1. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
    Posts
    672
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Salary

    I wouldn't leave the house either for $25 an hour. Right now im making almost $40 plus benefits and pension. You can make great money welding or **** money it all depends on your location, and the place you work. There are places here in St. John's that will pay a welder anywhere form $18 an hour right up to almost $40. Depends on where you work and what your skills are. Myself I am in the UA so I am a pipe welder. Currently im just outside of town working, but once these jobs are done I will have to travel to make the same money I am making now. It is just the nature of the beast.

    One has to figure out what is the best for them. Being on the road all the time can take a lot away from your personal life. Is the extra money worth it ? What about time away from family ?
    Journeyman / Red Seal Welder (What a useless test)
    Miller CST 280
    Miller XMT 350
    Miller 12vs Xtreme
    Evolution Evo 28 mag drill
    Evolution 380 Dry Cut saw

  2. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Houston Pennsylvania USA
    Posts
    4,061
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Salary

    One of my favorite movies is Hombre.

    There was a part where this woman says she would not eat dog no matter how hungry she got.

    A little while later she was starving and dehydrated and it was asked go ask her now if she would eat dog. Eat it? She would fight for the bones.

  3. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Joliet, IL
    Posts
    823
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Salary

    I bring my family with me. Got a brand new travel trailer, brand new truck, taking full time online classes for my bachelors in aeronautics, and stacking up money to buy a plane soon and getting out of the welding business and into flying planes. You can hit the road for two years and set yourself up for life if you don't blow all your money. I'd also like to point out that I have zero certifications. Completely unnecessary to do this work.

    Name:  20160609_143437.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  76.8 KB
    Last edited by TheBFA; 06-09-2016 at 03:44 PM.

  4. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Houston Pennsylvania USA
    Posts
    4,061
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Salary

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBFA View Post
    I bring my family with me. Got a brand new travel trailer, brand new truck, taking full time online classes for my bachelors in aeronautics, and stacking up money to buy a plane soon and getting out of the welding business and into flying planes. You can hit the road for two years and set yourself up for life if you don't blow all your money. I'd also like to point out that I have zero certifications. Completely unnecessary to do this work.

    Name:  20160609_143437.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  76.8 KB
    How come no fifth wheel?

  5. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Joliet, IL
    Posts
    823
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Salary

    I got a good deal on this one. It's not BRAND new, but it's 2016. It was my buddy's that I've been welding with. He sold his house and bought a fifth wheel to live in with his family semi-permanently for now, and sold this to me for what he was offered for trade in. I only plan on welding for another couple months so don't need anything so serious. Until a month ago I was in a pop up camper with my girl and now 10 month old. We were able to hack it out through the winter in Salt Lake City. Another thing is I have so much stuff in the bed of my truck and probably couldn't fit my tool box back there with a fifth wheel. And I can pay this off within a few months.
    Last edited by TheBFA; 06-09-2016 at 04:19 PM.

  6. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    2,810
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Salary

    Quote Originally Posted by Newfie_1986 View Post
    I wouldn't leave the house either for $25 an hour. Right now im making almost $40 plus benefits and pension. You can make great money welding or **** money it all depends on your location, and the place you work. There are places here in St. John's that will pay a welder anywhere form $18 an hour right up to almost $40. Depends on where you work and what your skills are. Myself I am in the UA so I am a pipe welder. Currently im just outside of town working, but once these jobs are done I will have to travel to make the same money I am making now. It is just the nature of the beast.

    One has to figure out what is the best for them. Being on the road all the time can take a lot away from your personal life. Is the extra money worth it ? What about time away from family ?
    If you live in a large city like chicago , Miniapolis and sutch you do not need to be on the road at all if you do not want to. My brother inlaws dad is a retired pipe fitter in the chicago local. He worked in that local for 40 years. He told me he never had more than 10 days without work. He only collected 1 unemployment check in his whole life.

  7. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    East Tennessee
    Posts
    1,244
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Salary

    I'm a union boilermaker and currently work in a shop and I make 60k+ a year and have 4 weeks vacation and union pension and 401k. I know several field boilermakers knocking down 150k+. I'm seriously thinking about getting out and getting with a specialty contractor so I can knock down the big bucks for a few years while I'm still healthy. I'm more about boosting up my pension than anything and those guys have a sweet pension. I know a guy that's 48 and he's already built up $6000 a month when he turns 58. Not a bad deal.

  8. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
    Posts
    672
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Salary

    Quote Originally Posted by thegary View Post
    If you live in a large city like chicago , Miniapolis and sutch you do not need to be on the road at all if you do not want to. My brother inlaws dad is a retired pipe fitter in the chicago local. He worked in that local for 40 years. He told me he never had more than 10 days without work. He only collected 1 unemployment check in his whole life.
    Exactly as I said it depends on your location. Im in St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada. Not a place that has been known for a lot of work. In recent years there has been quite a bit but it is all starting to dry up now, with no real amount of work in the near future. Work will all depend on location, location is everything.
    Journeyman / Red Seal Welder (What a useless test)
    Miller CST 280
    Miller XMT 350
    Miller 12vs Xtreme
    Evolution Evo 28 mag drill
    Evolution 380 Dry Cut saw

  9. #34
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Frederick MD
    Posts
    111
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Salary

    To The BFA. I would suggest you keep your welding stuff. The aviation sector is in the death throes. The schools are screaming about shortages but the regionals are paying hardly anything. The majors are hard to get into and stay in. Have friends who have been ATP's and Chief Pilots for years who now say they should've gotten out when I did. Not saying for a second don't do it, just don't sell the tools. Nothing is wasted if you learn from it, just leave yourself an out....... Kinda like what the welding schools say. Lots of high paying jobs for cedtified welders... Nothing will ever beat a smart guy with a good work ethic,
    Trailblazer 302G
    12VS Extreme
    Miller SD180
    Coolmate 4
    Miller 251
    Miller 175
    Victor OA
    Hypertherm 380
    Milling Machine
    Lathe
    Bandsaw

  10. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    968
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Salary

    Quote Originally Posted by mikecwik View Post
    How come no fifth wheel?
    How can you get that type of work without certs?

  11. #36
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hallieford, VA
    Posts
    2,473
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Salary

    I've put it up here several times in the past, but this is hard to beat. Several young folks I know have gone the shipyard apprenticeship route and are making great $ now.
    Jerry

    http://www.as.edu/wages.html
    30+ yrs Army Infantry & Field Artillery, 25 yrs ago

    Miller 350LX Tig Runner
    TA 210, spool gun
    Lincoln 250/250 IdealArc
    ESAB PCM 500i Plasma
    Kazoo 30" vert BS
    Kazoo 9x16 horiz BS
    Clausing 12x24 lathe
    20T Air Press

  12. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In A Nice Comfy Chair
    Posts
    18,773
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Salary

    I am in the 45K average per year.
    Mrs zap is about the same.

    She stays home and watches TV and play games on her company phone on the couch all day.

    I get filthy and cut my fingers all the time.

    I also have a great opportunity to do whatever I want whenever I want while on the clock...

    I can live with that.


    ...zap!


    I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

    Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

    Just because I'm a dumbass don't mean that you can be too.
    So DON'T try any of this **** l do at home.

  13. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Beacon and Pawling, New York
    Posts
    1,106
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Salary

    Man, I'll stick to being a hobbyist. I make more dismantling buses. I thought weldors made more money. I guess you can with travel and o/t but l value my free time too much for that.
    Eventual master of the obvious, practitioner of "stream of consciousness fabrication". P.S. I edit almost every post because because I'm posting from my phone and my fingers sometimes move faster than my brain.

  14. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    968
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Salary

    Hindsight being what it is I should have gotten into welding/fab work 35 years ago. At 53 I believe I am past that point now. There are those that can weld and those who are welders. I fall into the first catagory. I simply don't have the skills to be a better than average welder.

  15. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Joliet, IL
    Posts
    823
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Salary

    Quote Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs View Post
    How can you get that type of work without certs?
    Certs are for people who are self employed, or maybe certain Unions and a few other specific companies. You can't even test for a cert on your own without an LLC or set up through a company. This line of work involves different metals, different sized pipe with different processes, and it'll be tough finding welders with all the specific certs needed for a particular job site. The COMPANY you work for has the certs, and you take a test or multiple tests in most cases to become QUALIFIED (not certified) to work under the company certs.

  16. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Posts
    6,117
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Salary

    Im self employed, usually broke and don't have health insurance, paid vacation or a pension.

    Life is grand

    The only thing close to a "certification" I have is being certifiable at times

  17. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Joliet, IL
    Posts
    823
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Salary

    Quote Originally Posted by acx780 View Post
    To The BFA. I would suggest you keep your welding stuff. The aviation sector is in the death throes. The schools are screaming about shortages but the regionals are paying hardly anything. The majors are hard to get into and stay in. Have friends who have been ATP's and Chief Pilots for years who now say they should've gotten out when I did. Not saying for a second don't do it, just don't sell the tools. Nothing is wasted if you learn from it, just leave yourself an out....... Kinda like what the welding schools say. Lots of high paying jobs for cedtified welders... Nothing will ever beat a smart guy with a good work ethic,
    I'll always still have my stuff because I'm going to be building my own stuff in my garage. I'm not that worried about the pay at first, but have a few connections. A lot of getting with the airlines has to do with other pilots liking you. Another thing is I found a bachelor program that my GI bill will cover EVERYTHING including my fight training and gives me housing allowance every month, they do 3 semesters a year (so it's a quicker degree) and they gave me 39 credits just from military training. I just started in March and I'm already a junior. I have a little over 2400 hours of crew time between helicopters and Gulfstream aircraft, so I've been in aviation for quite awhile. If I don't go commercial airlines, I wouldn't mind switching over to rotary wing, which I plan on licensing for as well, and get on a fire or police department. The working conditions are a lot better and I'd enjoy it a lot more. I'm not afraid of hard work, but I'd rather work smarter, not harder. Just spent the entire winter in Utah freezing and just as my testicles started to drop back down, they've become permanently stuck to my leg from this swampy bayou heat in Louisiana wearing full FR gear haha.
    Last edited by TheBFA; 06-09-2016 at 11:03 PM.

  18. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Joliet, IL
    Posts
    823
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Salary

    Quote Originally Posted by 7A749 View Post
    Im self employed, usually broke and don't have health insurance, paid vacation or a pension.

    Life is grand

    The only thing close to a "certification" I have is being certifiable at times
    Haha, I don't think I even know anyone personally with any certifications, and I know a lot of big-money making welders.

  19. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Posts
    6,117
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Salary

    Yeah, that's always kind of a misunderstood thing. Not also to mention, that in most cases every new job you weld on, you'll have to test and qualify again. Many individuals are under the impression that once you get "certified" that it covers most everything, and is good indefinitely. Not so.

    Like I said, I just stick with the certifiable explanation and I'm usually covered for most work I do
    Last edited by 7A749; 06-09-2016 at 11:12 PM.

  20. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Posts
    6,117
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Salary

    Oh, I would definitely rather fly airplanes than do what I do for a living too

  21. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Joliet, IL
    Posts
    823
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Salary

    Well to get back a little more on subject, I don't know anything about apprenticeships and going to work in a shipyard to work your way up, but it sounds like a lot of time and horrible work. Not to knock anyone who's gone that route, especially getting on with a union and all the benefits, especially a pension, but it feels like you would be locked into that field in order to benefit from it.

    But if someone were to work their way into paying for a quality welding specific school, (mine was about $12k and 7 months, 5 hours a day/ 5 days a week) they could very well come out of school ready to hit the road. I say ready as in being able to pass a test, but maybe not everything they encounter on a jobsite. But passing a weld test is all it takes most times. Then learn more from other welders while still making the same pay as them. Do this while you're young for a year or two and you can stack up enough money to invest into your future. Or just keep welding and buy a house with cash and whatever car you want. But whatever you do, you still have a trade you can fall back on if you need to.

    My good friend was in my welding class with me, and we graduated the same time. He stopped welding about a year ago and bought a $30k dumptruck with cash, paid for all the licensing to be an owner operator, and making about the same amount he was on the road welding. He just bought another dump truck last week and is going to be making about $2k a week just from hiring a driver to drive his other truck. He's eventually just going to have people drive his trucks and be making a killing. This is what I mean about being able to set yourself up. You can tough it out on the road for a year or two or more, and have enough money to put into something to make you even more money. You could put a huge down payment on a house if not just buy flat out with cash, and if your mortgage payment is next to nothing or don't have one at all, life would be a lot easier in the future no matter what you do.

  22. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Houston Pennsylvania USA
    Posts
    4,061
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Salary

    Quote Originally Posted by zapster View Post
    I am in the 45K average per year.
    Mrs zap is about the same.

    She stays home and watches TV and play games on her company phone on the couch all day.

    I get filthy and cut my fingers all the time.

    I also have a great opportunity to whatever I want whenever I want while on the clock...

    I can live with that.


    ...zap!

    Yeah that whatever you want is something else. I never even realized I was doing that until I told someone that I was going to start doing that and he said I did it already. The current owner actually tells me that... I don't care do what you want. If I can ever retire I hope that it is from this place.

    50k last year for me last year. I feel like I am on a playground at work. I would probably do this stuff for room and board.

  23. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In A Nice Comfy Chair
    Posts
    18,773
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Salary

    Having freedom to do what you need to do without anyone in management really caring is the best.

    I guess its like a trade off.
    I plow the place out on occasion and do the bosses driveway.

    Put a complete exhaust system on my chebby...
    Brakes in my truck along with turning the rotors in my lathe....

    Come and go as you please...

    Make various bits and pieces for race cars...

    Whenever the hell I want.

    Ya just can't beat that.


    ...zap!


    I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

    Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

    Just because I'm a dumbass don't mean that you can be too.
    So DON'T try any of this **** l do at home.

  24. #49
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In A Nice Comfy Chair
    Posts
    18,773
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Salary

    Quote Originally Posted by 7A749 View Post
    Im self employed, usually broke and don't have health insurance, paid vacation or a pension.

    Life is grand

    The only thing close to a "certification" I have is being certifiable at times

    And you are the one that will hit the lottery.

    But then again Michigan cant pay out lottery winnings.

    ...zap!


    I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

    Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

    Just because I'm a dumbass don't mean that you can be too.
    So DON'T try any of this **** l do at home.

  25. #50
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Port Orchard, WA.
    Posts
    10,270
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Salary

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBFA View Post
    Certs are for people who are self employed, or maybe certain Unions and a few other specific companies. You can't even test for a cert on your own without an LLC or set up through a company. This line of work involves different metals, different sized pipe with different processes, and it'll be tough finding welders with all the specific certs needed for a particular job site. The COMPANY you work for has the certs, and you take a test or multiple tests in most cases to become QUALIFIED (not certified) to work under the company certs.
    Here in the north west you canít be dispatched out of the union hall as a welder without the state welding certs ďWABOĒ. If youíre doing code work for the city, state and ports all require the state certs. But a lot of places like the US Navy, they will not accept the state certs, you take their welding tests.
    Donít pay any attention to me
    Iím just a hobbyist!

    Carl

    Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400





Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,635,139,383.52633 seconds with 12 queries