Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Salary

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Salary

Quote Originally Posted by thegary View Post
    If that on the check + bennies don't leave till your ready to retire because there are not many steady shops that pay that kind of money. In fact for base pay that is the highest I have ever heard of. The only bad part is having to live/work in NYC.
    that is 130 plus benefits. after 45 years in the business with 30 of them at doc i'm about ready to pack it in and spend my winters in florida. i'll be 62 in a few months and i'm tired of getting up before 4am and coming home at ten at nite.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad you started this thread, I was going to start something similar because I was never sure how much to pay my employees. Every time I put a job listing out there to hire an entry level welder for $12/hr, I get over 50 applications within 2 weeks. Out of the 50, there's probably 5 or 6 decent resumes, and out of those that I interview I usually only find 1 that I actually like, sometimes not even 1. The issue I had was those that I would hire, would usually leave after a few months. They all had different reasons for leaving, but I think they just used the job experience on their resume and got a little higher paying job. The current batch of employees I pay $14/Hr, some a few $ more, and they've all been here for a while and it sounds like they aren't going anywhere soon. I give them 2 weeks vaca, as much overtime as they want, they can set their own schedule, a Christmas bonus, and they have free reign to use the shop equipment and small amounts of material on their free time for personal use. but that's it.
    John 3:16

(2) Miller Pheonix 456
    (2) Millermertic 252
    Dynasty 210DX
    Hobart 210MVP
    Doringer D350 SA Cold Saw
    Scotchman 350LT Cold Saw
    Webb 10x50 Mill
    Webb 15x40 Lathe
    Geka Bendicrop Ironworker

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Econdron View Post
    I'm glad you started this thread, I was going to start something similar because I was never sure how much to pay my employees. Every time I put a job listing out there to hire an entry level welder for $12/hr, I get over 50 applications within 2 weeks. Out of the 50, there's probably 5 or 6 decent resumes, and out of those that I interview I usually only find 1 that I actually like, sometimes not even 1. The issue I had was those that I would hire, would usually leave after a few months. They all had different reasons for leaving, but I think they just used the job experience on their resume and got a little higher paying job. The current batch of employees I pay $14/Hr, some a few $ more, and they've all been here for a while and it sounds like they aren't going anywhere soon. I give them 2 weeks vaca, as much overtime as they want, they can set their own schedule, a Christmas bonus, and they have free reign to use the shop equipment and small amounts of material on their free time for personal use. but that's it.
    How much your shop charge an hour if you don'tmind me asking?

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the work I do is retail/wholesale, so there's set pricing on everything they make. The faster they work, the more per hour the shop makes. But on the general fabrication side, if someone just walked in and asked for something to be welded, depending on what it is, usually around $75/hr.
    John 3:16

(2) Miller Pheonix 456
    (2) Millermertic 252
    Dynasty 210DX
    Hobart 210MVP
    Doringer D350 SA Cold Saw
    Scotchman 350LT Cold Saw
    Webb 10x50 Mill
    Webb 15x40 Lathe
    Geka Bendicrop Ironworker

Post Thanks / Like

https://jobs.usa.siemens-info.com/jo...f-6?lang=en-US

Can't tell you about salary because that will come from experience and acing the interview but normally if you're good you will start in the 80K range and move up to the 100K after your 1st year. But expect to be at least 200 days a year on the road. Some jobs are a PIA but others are gravy.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of the work I do is retail/wholesale, so there's set pricing on everything they make. The faster they work, the more per hour the shop makes. But on the general fabrication side, if someone just walked in and asked for something to be welded, depending on what it is, usually around $75/hr.
    Pay your guys a better wages, $14.00 per hour is below poverty. If they are not worth it send them down the road. Sorry but this is a trade and it should be treated that way.

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose it depends on how far you want to go in the trade? But here's my 2 cents.

I work at a thermal generating station and have,
    Inconel, P91, stainless, carbon pressure tickets, and useless garbage cwb structural tickets and do 110-120k a year depending on OT. Work 4 days a week, 8 weeks holiday a year, full benefits. Love my job, love getting dirty, love heavy wall. I think it all depends where you want to go in life and what your willing to do to get thsre

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pressure_Welder View Post
    I suppose it depends on how far you want to go in the trade? But here's my 2 cents.

Inconel, P91, stainless, carbon pressure tickets, and useless garbage cwb structural tickets and do 110-120k a year depending on OT. Work 4 days a week, 8 weeks holiday a year, full benefits. Love my job, love getting dirty, love heavy wall. I think it all depends where you want to go in life and what your willing to do to get thsre
    Well said
    John

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

finally after 6+ year's without a raise and much d!cking around by the membership,city and union we got a new contract. had to give some vac time back but got almost 14 dollar raise. this almost makes up for the very crappy work environment.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

Salary

Quote Originally Posted by Pressure_Welder View Post

I pull in those figures and more with just those useless garbage CWB structural tickets. No overtime at all. Not too bad for useless garbage tickets. I also have my interprovincial red seal Jman c of q.
    Last edited by snoeproe; 07-09-2016 at 09:17 PM.
    Jason
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snoeproe View Post
    I pull in those figures and more with just those useless garbage CWB structural tickets. No overtime at all. Not too bad for useless garbage tickets. I also have my interprovincial red seal Jman c of q.
    That's awesome! Iam glad you do so well for yourself. CWB is a complete joke and always will be.

Post Thanks / Like

When I began my apprenticeship back in 1998 I started at $7/hr

By the time I got my journeyman ticket in 2003 I think it was up to $12.50. Of course this is in a sleepy rural setting so living expenses were low.

Later moved to Alberta and got my pressure ticket and welded pressure pipe for about 80k per year but got bored with doing nothing but spooling pipe all day.

Switched jobs to end up TIG welding aluminum (and some stainless), dropped my pay to 65k per year but found it a much more rewarding and enjoyable type of work.

At this point in my welding career I am setting up my own business, so currently my "wages" are less than minimum wage, but I am accumulating capitol in the form of tools and equipment. Should be a more tax savy way of making a living, (as our current Prime Minister stated; the only purpose of a small business is to avoid paying your fair share of taxes).

Welding is such a broad field that you are bound to be able to find the right balance between the type of work and the pay scale to live comfortably and happy.
    Red Seal Journeyman Welder (2003), Red Seal Journeyman Metal Fabricator (2018), Welding Engineering Technologist (2005)
    Pressure - ASME Section IX
    Structural - CSA W47.1, CSA W47.2
    Transport tanker - CSA B620
    Aerospace - AWS D17.1

Post Thanks / Like

All the boilys/tradies at my work are on about 90~100k
    Even myself just a process operator(metal refinery)75K now but I've been there since 94, I know the new guys(operators) start on about 60k.
    The cost of living is higher here though...

Post Thanks / Like

When you only pay peanuts, you get monkeys.
    Jason
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720

Post Thanks / Like

For those earning minimum wage pay range for welding. Your going at it all wrong. Get yourself certified in a specially your good at. When I say good, I mean real good. I mean able to pass any code certification weld test good. Just bing ok is not going to make you big dollars, you need to be an absolute professional in all aspects of the trade.
    The building trades unions are a good place to make good pay. To get lots of work in the building trades unions, you need to be the absolute professional in all aspects of the trade. Ifthe only thing you know how to do is squeeze the trigger on a mig gun, you have a lot to learn.
    Jason
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Torchmate CNC table
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2
    Ironworkers Local 720