+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Career

Post Thanks / Like

Career

I'm interested in welding as a career but I'm not sure about how to get started and I don't
    want to go to school, since I'll be moving from MN to CA. Would I have to find some apprenticeship somewhere?
    Or join a union? If I had to join a union how would I go about that? Or even apprenticeships,
    where should I be looking?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Career

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous4-11 View Post
    I'm interested in welding as a career but I'm not sure about how to get started and I don't
    want to go to school, since I'll be moving from MN to CA. Would I have to find some apprenticeship somewhere?
    Or join a union? If I had to join a union how would I go about that? Or even apprenticeships,
    where should I be looking?
    http://www.calapprenticeship.org/ if your looking to be an apprentice.

Post Thanks / Like

I started by getting hired as a labour in the biggest fab and repair shop I could find, I never said no or argue about what I was told to do. I always did more then I should. And they givve me chances to try on little jobs, I really listen to my more experience co-worker and I always ask question when I wasn't sure.
    Went to school every time I had my hours to do my next year certification.
    Good luck getting in an apprenticeship with the union if you don't have your first year.
    But that's me in a million and in Canada.

Post Thanks / Like

depends on where you are in california. where i am, Its tough to survive as a union welder. not enough work cause unions have to charge too much.
    bosses stuff:
    trailblazer 325
    maxstar 200

my stuff:
    sa 200
    fronius transpocket 180
    100 amp Lincoln w/f
    97 f350 DIT

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

It would be Southern California

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel-B View Post
    I started by getting hired as a labour in the biggest fab and repair shop I could find, I never said no or argue about what I was told to do. I always did more then I should. And they givve me chances to try on little jobs, I really listen to my more experience co-worker and I always ask question when I wasn't sure.
    Went to school every time I had my hours to do my next year certification.
    Good luck getting in an apprenticeship with the union if you don't have your first year.
    But that's me in a million and in Canada.
    with that can do attitude chances are you would do well in any occupation or shop you landed in.
    i.u.o.e. # 15
    queens, ny and sunny fla

Post Thanks / Like

I went through my building trades apprenticeship in Oakland California. Before you apply for any apprenticeship, brush up on your math! That will make or break you getting into any apprenticeship.
    Don’t pay any attention to me
    I’m just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

If you could expand on I am interested in a welding career a little.

Post Thanks / Like

another option is a state recognized "meritt shop" apprentice.

private companies need to hire accredited apprentices (either union or through the type of program im talking about) to do public works projects.

the company i work for is so anti-union its almost funny, so they indentured me in one of these programs as a plumbing apprentice. i welded all kinds of pipe as an apprentice "plumber", and made more than any of my co-workers doing it. pay is determined by the program and is basically union scale. so as long as you work your hours and go to your classes, you get a mandatory raise every six months.

you can also sign yourself up to do this and the program will lease you out to private contractors that call and ask for you. that is the way most guys do it, and if you have half a brain and 3/4 of a work ethic, you stay pretty busy. the real benefit is that when your done, your called a "journeyman" and you know a thing or two about your trade, and job security is pretty good after that.

http://www.abcnorcal.org/

gloss that link over and see what you think, just be warned, unions are trying constantly to kill these type of programs because they put their guys out of work. districts with strong union forces in one trade can legislate exclusion of these programs for ALL trades if they can swing votes their way. its aways cut-throat out there so make wise decisions.
    bosses stuff:
    trailblazer 325
    maxstar 200

my stuff:
    sa 200
    fronius transpocket 180
    100 amp Lincoln w/f
    97 f350 DIT

Kevin

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist