+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thoughts On A Used Power MIG 215?

Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts On A Used Power MIG 215?

I'm looking for a welder for part time production welding. We are currently designing a prototype and will need to be welding 3/16" mild steel flat bar (hot rolled), short beads of weld. I likely wouldn't end up running this welder more than a half day or two per week except on rare occasion.

I'm looking at a used Lincoln Power MIG 215 for $1,600 CAD online. It looks like it has adequate output and duty cycle for this work.

Am I completely off mark with this or should it work for the application? I'm not necessarily looking for maximum efficiency from the welder to run 8 hours straight or anything like you real production guys are probably thinking, compromises can be made ─ starting this project on a tight budget!

Any advice is appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thoughts On A Used Power MIG 215?

I'm not that into mig but I would expect that the 215 will do what you describe. It seems a little pricey to me for a used machine. A new PM 216(new model) is listed as around 2260 CAD(dealers often sell for some less). Others may chime in but I would suspect that the 210MP would also do what you need and has finer tuning if you need it at around 1345 CAD new after an end user rebate(means you pay the taxes on 1595 CAD). I'm just noticing they have really jacked the price on those. I bought one in April for 1189 CAD + taxes/ after rebate. Still listed at 1200 USD on the Lincoln US site. The exchange rate sucks.
    ---Meltedmetal

Post Thanks / Like

The PM215 is a fine machine, more than capable of what you're wanting to do. It was replaced with the PM216 a few years ago. I bought the PM215XT, which was an interim model and didn't pay near that much. Maybe you prices are quite a bit higher in Canada but that much for a used model seems high.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

Post Thanks / Like

Watch the video here
    One other consideration between the PM 215 and the PM 210 is whether you want a transformer machine or an inverter.
    ---Meltedmetal

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses, I've decided to order a Lincoln 210 MP─special thanks to Meltedmetal!

Post Thanks / Like

The 215 is an excellent machine for what you plan to make. Can also run larger rolls of wire and has a standard, good quality 15 foot gun and a high quality drive setup.
    Last edited by deafman; 06-27-2016 at 09:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Well it turns out this shipper from out west will not ship (I'll spare the details) the 210 MP and it seems as though nobody carries the 210 MP... One US based website does not ship to Canada... Might need to change plans.

--------

Quote Originally Posted by deafman View Post
    The 215 is an excellent machine for what you plan to make. Can also run larger rolls of wire and has a standard, good quality 15 foot gun and a high quality drive setup.
    Thanks for the reply, I may end up going that route.

Post Thanks / Like

The Hobart ironman is less than $1600.00 new and its 250 amps. I've welded everything from front end loader dump boxes to sheet metal. It's also aluminum capable with a spool gun. There are some good YouTube videos on the ironman.
    Last edited by kctgb; 06-29-2016 at 12:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

If you really want the 210 MP search for a dealer here: http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-ca...s/locator.aspx

I bought one new off the shelf within 30 miles of me and I live in the sticks. Miller is also coming out with something in the same ball park. Should be available soon. There was a dealer advertising on ebay from Thetford Mines in QC. Where are you?

I actually found the video in another thread on the 210 MP suggested by Sedanman :http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php...Lincoln+210+MP
    ---Meltedmetal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    If you really want the 210 MP search for a dealer here: http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-ca...s/locator.aspx

I bought one new off the shelf within 30 miles of me and I live in the sticks. Miller is also coming out with something in the same ball park. Should be available soon. There was a dealer advertising on ebay from Thetford Mines in QC. Where are you?

I actually found the video in another thread on the 210 MP suggested by Sedanman :http://weldingweb.com/vbb/showthread.php...Lincoln+210+MP
    I've been looking through the dealers, one has it listed at nearly $2,700 with 'special order from factory', others don't carry it. One big chain store shows it online as available in store only but then shows it out of stock at all locations.

I am located in south-western Ontario, about 45 minutes west of Toronto.

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest you call dealers close to you.(Locate via Lincoln's website, use your Postal Code it is not going to be good for much else soon with the strike coming up) I contacted Lincoln Canada directly via email because my local gas supplier could get me one but is not an authorized Lincoln Dealer. I ended up buying mine in Cornwall,Ont, There are 2 authorized dealers there but only one kept it in stock. $1425 CAD plus taxes(That was early April before the price increase. The exchange rate is killing us.) and then I got a $250 CAD rebate from Lincoln. The rebate is the only reason I didn't go with my LWS. Lincoln rep told me that the LWS could get me the rebate "if they wanted to" and i didn't want the hassle. This was the base unit. No spoolgun and no setup for tig. (I have since made other arrangements for both)

P.S. Call on the phone and talk to an actual person. I find many of the web sites are not well maintained.
    ---Meltedmetal

Post Thanks / Like

I got lucky and found one locally. Their products page on their website wasn't working so I emailed and picked it up this morning. Now all I need to do is find time to use it! It was $1,589 + tax.

Post Thanks / Like

So you bought the Lincoln 210 MP or other?
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

The Lincoln 210 MP.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist