+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need spool gun for lincoln pro mig 180

Post Thanks / Like

Need spool gun for lincoln pro mig 180

Gentlemen, I've tried the sg100 to no avail. won't feed al wire properly.

Tried Nor star 140 to no avail.

Can anyone recommend a spool gun for under 300.00 that works?

I only need to weld up to 1/4" aluminum.

used 4 hrs per month in maintenance.

thx for help

Karl

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need spool gun for lincoln pro mig 180

What feed issues are you having with the, sg100? I had one for years. Initially I thought I had feed issues. However, after much adjustment ans service calls, I discovered a loose lug connection inside the machine. The lug had arced and created a rough surface/poor contact. I had the sand the connection smooth. Worked well after that. Paid for itself 200 times in one job.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you're going to get there under $300 unless you find a used gun. Recommended current and wire for 1/4" aluminum is about 200 amps and 1/16" wire. Those lightweight guns aren't going to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Run the wire without welding for 6 sec. how many in. x10= Ipm, is it smooth feeding when not welding? Is it birdnesting ? Is the wire stubbing, of burning back to the tip. You can try an aluminum liner in you magnum 100 gun and see if that works. It wont feed as fast a the gun would, but it will work.What size/type wire are you using. Polarity ? If you purchased the gun new, you should try calling service.
    Good luck !

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a sg100 and have welded at least a dozen times with it in the last year, no issues with it or my Pro Mig 180. Something is askew with your setup...

Post Thanks / Like

I have found that when the spool gets low (wire gets more tightly wound) it tends to want to come off the feed roller.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    What feed issues are you having with the, sg100? I had one for years. Initially I thought I had feed issues. However, after much adjustment ans service calls, I discovered a loose lug connection inside the machine. The lug had arced and created a rough surface/poor contact. I had the sand the connection smooth. Worked well after that. Paid for itself 200 times in one job.
    I'll check inside for arcing. (I just wish I could get a steady arc on the workpiece)...
    The welder was bought new (box only) at lowes for $169.00. Me being kind of a sheeny couldn't pass it up.
    I figured I'd use on al only. Thx for your advice. I still hate the pinch roller set up though, I don't know how arcing could affect that..
    Karl

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't count inches per min and such, but I did set real close to recommend settings on door. Already returned the gun.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried Lincoln aluminum kit K664-2? Although it is not listed, it is used on the 100L torch. You just change the liner and tips and add the aluminum roll and no need for a spool gun. It is also around 65 dollars.

http://www.weldingandcutting.com/Lin...FQQpaQodWOIN1Q

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...olnElectric%29

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/asset...iner/e1210.pdf

The only difference I see in the 100L gun (K530-5,K530-6) is that the latter comes with a cannon plug connector, but the inner liner should be the same. Just my 2 cents. I plan to buy this kit later for my HD3200.

Post Thanks / Like

My symptoms were wire dragging at the tip and frequent burn back/fried tips--lots of fried tips. I think soft wire runs better than hardwire. Though there is a setup for hard wire.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist