+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How big an error?

Post Thanks / Like

How big an error?

Hi All

I'm new to oxy fuel welding but I was a gas fitter in my younger years so I understand dangers of gas. I currently work in the explosives industry so I have great respect for safety.

This is what I did & it's a NO NO! I bought an oxy propane setup with an empty bottle of o2. All parts are well used, like hoses are finished, regs are 2 stage Craftsman & look greasy, torches look greasy as well. Tanks are new. I'm going to toss the hoses but I've been reading that 2 stage regs are the best & they're not cheap. The torches are old but look nice as well, they're Craftsman too. Anyway, to make a short story long my error was using WD40 to clean the VERY stiff valves on the torches!

What do you recommend I do with the regulators & what can I do to get rid of ALL the WD40 in the torches! By the way, when cleaning low pressure natural gas valves WD40 is typically used. They're cleaned then new Gas Valve Grease is applied. Obviously this is NOT the case with oxygen welding/cutting. I have to admit, after reading all the accidents out there, I'm afraid of going near it now!

If I do decide to use oxy/fuel in my small shop, I will put arrestors at the regs and the torch.
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How big an error?

Best thing to do is send the stuff out to be professionally rebuilt. I'm certified to do rebuilds on O2 regs for diving and even though I know how to clean and handle the regs, I'd still send it out and let some one else do it. High pressure O2 is nothing to fool around with, especially with contaminants like oils.

A number of members here have had good results with these guys.
    http://www.regulatortorchrepair.com/repairservices.php

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

X 2 send them out

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I thought but I was concerned I may have to throw the stuff away. That's an American location, do you know of any places that services o2 equipment in Canada? Better yet in Calgary or Alberta? I've called a few from online search but when I call them they said they stopped servicing.

Thank you guys.

Post Thanks / Like

If nothing else, check with your local welding supplier. They often can get things sent out for service if nothing else.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist