Thread: Fab shield 21b wire

Post Thanks / Like

Fab shield 21b wire

I've been running Lincolm NR-212 .045" as my outdoor all-purpose wire, Praxair sent over Hobart Fabshield 21b. Does this have the same limitations as the NR-212 @ 3/4" , and is it multi pass ? Most of my work is sheet metal to 3/4" assorted steel . Does anyone use this, and are there any differences welding with this versus the Lincoln. Its a 10# spool and I'm using it on a Lincoln 210 MP.
    Do you think its OK to use Non-Lincoln wire on the machine https://www.weldingweb.com/images/smilies/laughing.gif
    But it does say "made in USA" https://www.weldingweb.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

OOPS... Just noticed its .035" ...
    Last edited by albrightree; 07-09-2016 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Update

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fab shield 21b wire

Before the Northridge earthquake in California, none of the manufactures put thickness limits on their T-11 wire. I canít tell you how many 1Ē V-butt tests I passed with 21-B. A few of them I shouldnít have passed!
    Donít pay any attention to me
    Iím just a hobbyist!

Carl

Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    SG Spool gun
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200ST
    3 SA-200s
    Vantage 400

Post Thanks / Like

It's great wire. I run it in my 210 MP in .035 and .045. I'm not aware of thickness limitations on the Hobart wire. Pretty smokey is the only downside.
    Lincoln Ranger 305g
    Miller X-Treme 8VS Suitcase Feeder
    Lincoln Powermig 210 MP
    Lincoln AC225 Tombstone
    Everlast Powerarc 200ST
    A pile of grinders.

Post Thanks / Like

On note is download the spec sheet from the Hobart website and use the settings on the spec sheet. The settings the machine recommends are way off for this wire.
    Lincoln Ranger 305g
    Lincoln Powermig 210 MP
    Lincoln AC225 Tombstone
    Everlast Powerarc 200ST
    A pile of grinders.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, I looked up the specs/settings on the hobart site. I was surprised at the difference, tried running some last night , seemed really low though. Had trouble holding stick out distance at Hobart numbers(kept burning into tip), and burned through with Lincoln. I think it runs a little better for me than the lincoln, will be getting a roll of .045" if they have it in 10# spool. Also looking to see if they have a dual-shield in .035" x 10# spool.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have an Airgas store in your area?
    Lincoln Ranger 305g
    Lincoln Powermig 210 MP
    Lincoln AC225 Tombstone
    Everlast Powerarc 200ST
    A pile of grinders.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, we have several Airgas shops in NJ.The salesman stopped in when I wasn't here and left brochures with my boss. The flyer had the 210 mp $100 dollars cheaper than Praxair where I bought mine (even after rebate) . I have an account with Praxair, the original welding supply shop has changed names at least 6 times in the last 30 years. The two closest Airgas shops are over an hours drive away. I've been on their website , and they seem to have alot more stuff on their website than Praxair.

Post Thanks / Like

I mentioned Airgas because they can order 10lb spools of Fabshield 21B in both .035 and .045. That's where I get mine. Also, they stock a dual shield Radnor in 10lb spools. A lot of people trash Radnor products, but that particular wire runs NICE! I run all of the above in my 210mp.
    Lincoln Ranger 305g
    Lincoln Powermig 210 MP
    Lincoln AC225 Tombstone
    Everlast Powerarc 200ST
    A pile of grinders.

Post Thanks / Like

There was a post on this forum "dual shield is the bomb" with a picture posted of the 10# spool where it was clearly printed Radnor T71-t1 Made by Hobart bros. Troy Ohio. Hmmmm....? I just used some dual shield .035 blue demon wire, ran great last week then ran awful on monday. Then I realized that polarity was wrong when I finished and was switching back to NR-212. OOOPS, Not the wires fault. I see posts trashing blue demon also, but most of the stuff I've used from them has worked well(dual-shield, tig wire, tungsten, flux core SS wire). I get blue demon stuff from mcmaster-carr. Sometimes people can be a little angry when they post things, so I usually take angry reviews with a grain of salt. Praxair doesn't advertise any of the Hobart wires, they prefer to sell their Prostar brand. Although, whenever I order Hobart wire,it arrives very soon after. Almost like they have it in stock somewhere... Almost out of NR-212 .045", will try the Fabshield 21b .045" next.