+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Welding/ Straightening of STAINLESS STEEL 316L

Post Thanks / Like

Welding/ Straightening of STAINLESS STEEL 316L

Good day you all,

Good day you all,

I'm a master student in naval architecture. I'm doing my research about "Welding technology for stainless steel AISI 316L – the problem of reducing deformations on decks in stern trawler hull."

And I would like to deal with this problem in two approaches, one based in the welding process (in my case 136 and 121 welding) and the other approach in the reducing deformations AFTER welding and that's my main problem.

I have been looking for many materials on internet and also books, however, I could not find any especific procedures to straighten stainless steel.

Thus, I would you like to know from you, if is there any source of information for this case or your opinion?

Remind that my case is for decks, with all the structure, stiffeners, frame, plates, everything would be already welded.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
    Guanaeli Taquini Deolindo
    guanaeli.t.deolindo@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welding/ Straightening of STAINLESS STEEL 316L

First you need to understand what makes " stainless steel" stainless ?
    At that point you'll see its simply steel with varied alloys, specifically lower carbom(L in 316L) and more chromium and or nickel and the straightening procedure is much the same.

If I were in your shoes I'd be having a conversation with a real engineer at one of the major steel producers to learn what makes what/what and what all them thar funny numbers izz. I can tell you the 316 and 317 I made large scrubbers out of never warped like a standard cold roll steel did.
    It started as 1/4 x 15 flat and was press broke with a 1 1/2 and 3 inch leg into a channel that was glued together into a 10 foot by 5 foot rectangle. Uphand stick was the weld on the verticals and I could keep them under .125 corner to corner with nearly zero twist. That told me it was surprisingly stable because a mess would ensue trying it with 10 series reglur ol' iron, that''s for sure. These were freehand on a bench. No fixture.

I was too busy drinking beer to ask an engineer why that was,
    Last edited by Bonzoo; 07-15-2016 at 08:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welding/ Straightening of STAINLESS STEEL 316L

I guess what the above poster was trying to say is regard SS as you would standard carbon steel. All metals have their quirks. Restraining is one method. Pre-bow is another method. And plain old post weld mechanical straightening is another. Preheat usually does not work for SS as it may promote premature grain growth and corrosion failure.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist