+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AC TIG welding pulse frequency

Post Thanks / Like

AC TIG welding pulse frequency

Hi Guys,

I've been looking around to buy an AC/DC TIG welder for my upcoming upgrade.

I've been wondering about the difference of AC pulse frequency adjustment range in different machines.
    For some of them, the range is 0.5 - 5 Hz. Other are going up to 300Hz.

What is the difference?
    What are advantages of having up to 300Hz adjustable pulse frequency, and
    what are the disadvantages of NOT having pulse frequency adjustment or having a range like 0.5 - 5Hz?

Thank you in advance for any advice/tips/suggestions, etc etc.
    Last edited by WeldBig; 07-19-2016 at 01:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: AC TIG welding pulse frequency

Some places just can't figure it out lol and the guys that can figure it out can go up higher.
    The razorweld I sell will do 200hz pulse on AC without an issue.

advantage/disadvantage. Depends. I hardly ever use pulse, maybe 1% of the time and it's just to play around. I don't have a practical use for it, but other people love it.
    When you are around that 5-20 pulse range it's more annoying on your eyes than it is helpful.
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC with Flashcut CNC controls
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    Esab ET220i
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    Tormach 770, Tormach xstech
    Carbide3d Nomad3
    Sherline 4400 CNC Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

You can do some high-quality work without Pulse... you can even pulse manually with the pedal if you want... having said that pulse is nice to have to be able to control heat input as well as agitate the puddle for certain situations... if you buy any of the better brands like ESAB, Miller, Lincoln, HTP all of their medium to higher-end models will have good pulse features.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
    Some places just can't figure it out lol and the guys that can figure it out can go up higher.

advantage/disadvantage. Depends. I hardly ever use pulse, maybe 1% of the time and it's just to play around. I don't have a practical use for it, but other people love it.
    When you are around that 5-20 pulse range it's more annoying on your eyes than it is helpful.
    Do you mean for making high quality welds, pulse is NOT necessary?
    Does it make any difference to have adjustable pulse frequency with a higher range for welding really thin material
    like coke cans?!
    Thank your for the advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Weld_ View Post
    You can do some high-quality work without Pulse... you can even pulse manually with the pedal if you want... having said that pulse is nice to have to be able to control heat input as well as agitate the puddle for certain situations... if you buy any of the better brands like ESAB, Miller, Lincoln, HTP all of their medium to higher-end models will have good pulse features.
    Thanx

How do you pulse manually with the pedal? Wouldn't you basically bouncing the amps/intensity?

Unfortunately for me, those brands you mentioned above aren't readily available here in my neck of the woods.
    There are used ones, but it's hard to repair them without readily available parts.

Post Thanks / Like

are you sure you're not confusing AC Frequency with AC pulse frequency?
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    I hope I am not. By AC frequency (50/60Hz here in Australia)are you referring to mains electricity frequency that we use to power up the machine from the wall socket(220V, 50/60Hz here in Australia)?

BY AC pulse frequency, I meant the pulse frequency adjustment that is used to tweak aluminium welding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WeldBig View Post
    Do you mean for making high quality welds, pulse is NOT necessary?
    Does it make any difference to have adjustable pulse frequency with a higher range for welding really thin material
    like coke cans?!
    Thank your for the advice.
    You do not NEED pulse for anything! I can do coke cans and make nice looking welds without pulse
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    Esab ET220i
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    Carbide3d Nomad3
    Sherline 4400 CNC Lathe

Post Thanks / Like

AC frequency (50hz in Australia, 60hz in USA) input can be manipulated by an inverter welding machine to be much higher or lower on the output side. Frequency refers to how often the wave switches from electrode positive to electrode negative. PULSE is manipulation of the amperage.
    Eventual master of the obvious, practitioner of "stream of consciousness fabrication". P.S. I edit almost every post because because I'm posting from my phone and my fingers sometimes move faster than my brain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedanman View Post
    AC frequency (50hz in Australia, 60hz in USA) input can be manipulated by an inverter welding machine to be much higher or lower on the output side. Frequency refers to how often the wave switches from electrode positive to electrode negative. PULSE is manipulation of the amperage.
    Ok, cool thank you. They are two different things. AC frequency and pulse frequency(pulsing of the amperage).
    I have a better understanding now.

If I'm to rephrase my original question,

Is AC frequency adjustable on all AC/DC TIG welders?
    Is it beneficial to be able adjust the AC frequency?

What is more important to have? Adjustable AC frequency or adjustable pulse(pulsing of the amperage)?
    Last edited by WeldBig; 07-19-2016 at 02:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    You're right, I was certainly confusing the two.

Is it necessary to have adjustable AC frequency output to do better TIG welding on aluminium?

Thanks
    Last edited by WeldBig; 07-19-2016 at 02:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

You do not NEED pulse for anything! I can do coke cans and make nice looking welds without pulse
    How about if I rephrase the question this way..

Do I need to be able adjust AC frequency output, in order to perform good thin aluminium welds?

or

Does my above question make any sense?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Short answer is no. Many people do amazing work with huge old non adjustable transformer welding machines. I personally need all the help l can get.
    Eventual master of the obvious, practitioner of "stream of consciousness fabrication". P.S. I edit almost every post because because I'm posting from my phone and my fingers sometimes move faster than my brain.

Post Thanks / Like

I think adjustable AC frequency is a critical feature for any newer AC TIG machine, especially as it relates to thinner aluminum projects.

To me, a Pulse feature seems insignificant by comparison. But, I'm not an AC TIG expert, and only upgraded from a DC TIG unit about a year ago and have only done four smaller aluminum projects. But I'm tremendously pleased with the results that I'm getting from an Everlast 210EXT using a higher AC frequency of between 150-220.

And if you're upgrading, I'll also recommend that you get a full-featured AC unit with Waveforms, which can also be helpful with thinner aluminum projects. The units with waveforms (Square, Sine, Triangle, etc) are digital and cost a little more, but are worth it. I like the Triangle waveform for thin stuff and edge welding.

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter
    Post Thanks / Like

No, you don't need it. But it's like comparing a mechanic equipped with a nice tool box full of tools that ensures him having the right tool for the job to a mechanic equipped with a cardboard box full of slip joint pliers, and adjustable wrenches and a screwdriver with a flip around bit and maybe a crow bar or a hammer. Either mechanic can make a mess of the job or either can figure a way to do the job correctly, though one is likely to be more efficient at the job. What they have at their disposal has nothing directly to do with their knowledge or mechanical ability. To me, having these features are like having another tool in the tool box to do the job.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

Short answer is no. Many people do amazing work with huge old non adjustable transformer welding machines. I personally need all the help l can get.
    Thanks. I am a noob to TIG welding. I've only managed to do couple of test runs with a scratch machine so far.
    I probably need a bit more user friendly unit for a TIG starter.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the links. Pretty informative and useful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lugweld View Post
    No, you don't need it. But it's like comparing a mechanic equipped with a nice tool box full of tools that ensures him having the right tool for the job to a mechanic equipped with a cardboard box full of slip joint pliers, and adjustable wrenches and a screwdriver with a flip around bit and maybe a crow bar or a hammer. Either mechanic can make a mess of the job or either can figure a way to do the job correctly, though one is likely to be more efficient at the job. What they have at their disposal has nothing directly to do with their knowledge or mechanical ability. To me, having these features are like having another tool in the tool box to do the job.
    Yeah, I think it also comes down to the budget. I like to get all I can get for my budget, including a lengthy, hassle free warranty.
    AC frequency adjustment capability is a good thing for me to have, if I understood it properly so far. And the pulse is probably not an immediate requirement if I interpreted the advice correctly, but if I can afford it, I should go for it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by C. Livingstone View Post
    I think adjustable AC frequency is a critical feature for any newer AC TIG machine, especially as it relates to thinner aluminum projects.

To me, a Pulse feature seems insignificant by comparison. But, I'm not an AC TIG expert, and only upgraded from a DC TIG unit about a year ago and have only done four smaller aluminum projects. But I'm tremendously pleased with the results that I'm getting from an Everlast 210EXT using a higher AC frequency of between 150-220.

And if you're upgrading, I'll also recommend that you get a full-featured AC unit with Waveforms, which can also be helpful with thinner aluminum projects. The units with waveforms (Square, Sine, Triangle, etc) are digital and cost a little more, but are worth it. I like the Triangle waveform for thin stuff and edge welding.
    Yes, I would need a unit that will be able to weld thin aluminium like coke cans from the get go.
    I realize it's not just the unit, but the acquired skill as well. The time and experience will offer me that.
    I'm only upgrading from a cheap scratch DC unit to an AC/DC one, 'cos I wanna be able to weld aluminium alloys, particularly thinner ones. If I understood correctly, pulse is not an immediate requirement for that, but adjustable AC frequency can be.
    And waveform choice(Square, Sine, Triangle, etc) is good to have for welding thin aluminium?

Thanx

Post Thanks / Like

Haha, I knew it !

As mentioned, being able to adjust AC Frequency can be a huge plus. Especially when doing inside corner joints and other joints where you can't have the [otherwise] wide arc cone compromise a sharp edge near the weld bead. Pulsing whether on AC or DC can help on thin materials, but there are a multitude of ways that help with heat input as well.

Sounds like you need a Miller Dynasty 210dx with the Independent amplitude upgrade.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

HTP221 is $2,000 cheaper and comes with amplitude adjustment standard.

Post Thanks / Like

Gospel!!!!!!
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WeldBig View Post
    Yes, I would need a unit that will be able to weld thin aluminium like coke cans from the get go.
    I realize it's not just the unit, but the acquired skill as well. The time and experience will offer me that.
    I'm only upgrading from a cheap scratch DC unit to an AC/DC one, 'cos I wanna be able to weld aluminium alloys, particularly thinner ones. If I understood correctly, pulse is not an immediate requirement for that, but adjustable AC frequency can be.
    And waveform choice(Square, Sine, Triangle, etc) is good to have for welding thin aluminium?

Thanx
    If you are specifically referring to AC welding, high speed pulse would actually be a hindrance. The other features like balance, freq, and waveform options manipulate the arc in such a manner that makes high speed pulse ridiculous.

However I have on occasion engaged high speed pulse on alum when while doing very thick alum and a customer comes in to ask me to tack a small part. I kick in the high speed pulse to hobble the arc and do the job, then disengage pulse and continue welding my thick parts. High speed pulse on soda cans did not work for me, in fact unfocused the arc so much I could not continue.
    Weld like a "WELDOR", not a wel-"DERR"
    MillerDynasty700DX,Dynasty350DX4ea,Dynasty200DX,Li ncolnSW200-2ea.,MillerMatic350P,MillerMatic200w/spoolgun,MKCobraMig260,Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm1250,HFProTig2ea,MigMax1ea.

Post Thanks / Like

HTP221 is $2,000 cheaper and comes with amplitude adjustment standard.
    He doesn't know the difference between ac pulse and ac frequency so I highly doubt he needs amplitude adjustment. Ask Oscar how many times he has used that feature lol
    Hypertherm Powermax45
    Esab ET220i
    Razorweld 195 Mig
    Razorweld 200ac/dc Tig
    Carbide3d Nomad3
    Sherline 4400 CNC Lathe

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist