Thread: Aerospace welding certification Question!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Aerospace welding certification Question!!!

whats needed in getting an "Aerospace welding certificate"....i fly with a local flight school that is also a repair shop. My goal one day is to work on airplanes not as an aviation mechanic but as a welder. my understanding is that aviation mechanics are not able to weld on airplanes without aerospace certs. Im a TIG welder by trade and have 8 yrs of welding under my belt. if anyone has any information in this area or can point me in the right direction..It will b greatly appreciated..Thanks!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aerospace welding certification Question!!!

The relevant certification will be under AWS D17.1, unsurprisingly there's various classes of joint, material groups etc. I'm not aware of much in the way of free info on D17.1 i can link to but there's an overview of welder approval/qualification for BCAR A8-10 (CAA qualification) here...http://www.casa.gov.au/wcmswr/_assets/main/download/caaps/airworth/33_1.pdf which'll give you an idea. Someone more local will be better placed to advise on the best route to take etc but if there's a repair shop at your flight school that'll surely be the best place to ask around

Post Thanks / Like

TIGer305, you might want to try and PM Makoman 1860 here if he doesn't chime in. I believe he might be familiar with some of the requirements.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Cool thanks guys!!!...im gonnay try some of the things u guys suggested. ill talk to some local welding supply places too. see if they can get me to b able to talk to someone who does welding certs.