Thread: Spoolgun with SP-135?

Post Thanks / Like

Spoolgun with SP-135?

Can I use a spoolgun with an SP-135? One for sale at fair price in my area, but I'd like to be able to weld thin aluminum.
    Thanks,
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Spoolgun with SP-135?

Small 110v migs can use a spoolgun many times but it's really not worth it. Alum is a great heat sink and you need a lot of power to weld alum. You'll max out a 180 amp class mig in both voltage and wire speed to do 1/8". As far as thinner alum, alum mig is a hot process, so it's poorly suited for thin metal. Some have had fair results on 14 ga or even 16 ga, but most of the welds I've seen on this stuff was all cold. The band between too cold and blowing holes in the stock is very narrow and difficult to adjust with small machines.

If you are serious about welding thin alum, you either need to look at more expensive dedicated migs designed to do pulse mig on alum, or look for an AC/DC tig machine.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks, That's about what I figured. I knew aluminum required a lot of heat. Guess I'll wait a few months, and try to save enough for a more serious mig setup.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Pulse migs designed to do alum are more than a "serious mig setup". You are looking at pretty much top of the line machines, not any of the smaller less expensive hobby migs. Expect to spend money in the $6K and up range.

If you are happy with 1/8" being your lower limit, you can get away with a less expensive machine. It's when you drop down below 1/8" that you start to need the expensive electronics.

Terry can give you more details on this if you are really serious about shelling out that kind of jingle. A used AC/DC tig would be a lot less money, but the learning curve will be a lot steeper.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks...I'll keep all that in mind. I'm going to get a MIG first...probably a TIG setup at some point. I can borrow a friend's AHP for TIG if needed.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Everlast do a 250a single phase mig with pulse, but it's Chinese...

Ewm do a 180a pulse mig that sells for around gbp1800 for the machine this side of the pond. Do Ewm have distributors in the US? That's the smallest pulse mig I know of and it's really top of the line stuff coming from ewm.
    Lincoln Weldanpower 250 d10 Pro
    200 amp Hayter 'mighty midget'
    DIY suitcase feeder/spool gun controller
    Miller HF-251
    Hitachi 300-gp2 AC/DC tig
    Hypertherm PMX30 Air
    Harrison 600 universal mill
    Boxford 500 VSL lathe
    12kw Rotary phase converter

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really after an American-made unit...at least an American owned company. Not much made in America anymore, sadly. thanks!
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho View Post
    I'm really after an American-made unit...at least an American owned company. Not much made in America anymore, sadly. thanks!
    Jim
    Miller 220Mpi then.. Think it's Italian, not even sure if it's available in the US, but it is a Miller product. My money would be on the ewm though.
    Lincoln Weldanpower 250 d10 Pro
    200 amp Hayter 'mighty midget'
    DIY suitcase feeder/spool gun controller
    Miller HF-251
    Hitachi 300-gp2 AC/DC tig
    Hypertherm PMX30 Air
    Harrison 600 universal mill
    Boxford 500 VSL lathe
    12kw Rotary phase converter