+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All I can see are the imperfections.

Post Thanks / Like

All I can see are the imperfections.

The guy I made these for is very happy. All I can see is the imperfections. I am self taught, never taken a welding corse of any kind. What do you guys think of my welds, and how can I improve them?
    Name:  DSCF0780.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  51.0 KBName:  DSCF0781.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  59.0 KBName:  DSCF0782.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  57.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Re: All I can see are the imperfections.

More heat and practice. Don't look bad just cold.
    Miller TrailBlazer 251
    Miller HF-250-1
    Miller MaxStar 150 STL
    HyperTherm PowerMax 380 plasma
    Lincoln PowerMig 180
    Millermatic 252
    Miller Diversion 180

Post Thanks / Like

Were you doing all of them as flat welds? If I have something I can move around, I'll flip it to make whatever welds I can in the flat position. I can weld vertical fine, but they always look more perfect when welding flat.

Post Thanks / Like

too cold, and it looks like you are trying to move too fast too far with each whip / motion you are using.

My old school teacher used to tell us "Whipping or any motion is a lot like masturbating ... dont do it unless you have no other choice."
    AWS CWI xxxx2171
    1968 SA200

Quote Originally Posted by WelderMike
    I hate being bipolar, It's awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZTFab View Post
    Nice work!
    Visit Regulator and Torch Exchange, Inc. for all your cutting and heating needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Beads do look on the cold side. Knowing what machine you used, voltage ( heat) setting, wire size and speed, material thickness, pushing/pulling the bead, position welded etc would help us a lot. So would closer clear picts of the beads so we can point things out to you.

Consistency needs a fair amount of work. If you are doing a cursive e, you need to do that same exact motion each time. I'm not seeing that. I see it going further or less up and down each leg in places and the interval of each circle changes throughout the beads.

I'm also not sure I'm impressed with your fit up. On something like this I'd have set the outside corners to just touch on the inside leaving a V in the corner to fill. What it looks like I'm seeing is two plates butted up tight to one another. If I'd have gone that route, I'd have either pushed the plate back some to allow 2 fillet welds, or better yet, gapped the pieces and welded up the gap. The outside corner method would have been the easiest though.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Seeing imperfection is the idea.

Post Thanks / Like

what are those brackets going to be used for? anything critical?

Post Thanks / Like

A-Arm, and shock mount for 2006 C6 Corvette suspension.

Post Thanks / Like

.035 wire, pushing the bead, 1/4 inch steel plate Name:  DSCF0783.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  47.8 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigDdal13 View Post
    Im not a professional welder, but know enough not to use those and kill someone in the process..have someone that knows how to weld GOOD build them and you keep practicing..thats not a dig on you....thats a high critical area..when the driver is doing 100 mph plus and those welds break off...its gona be a dirt nap for someone or many...

Post Thanks / Like

The settings shown are way low for 1/4". The manual lists 6/34 for .035 wire 75/25 gas and 1/4". What you have on the machine is for maybe 14ga-1/8" at best.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

im not a pro by any means, amateur at best.

1/4" plate and you have your machine turned WAY DOWN. Thats why those are cold welds.

ETA: DSW was posting at the same time as me.
    The googles on your machine settings chart recommend 6 on the voltage and 44 on the wire speed for 1/4" steel using 75/25 and 035 wire.

I wouldnt trust those welds to do what you are asking(suspension mounting points). I have a C6 corvette. What did the guy do to the frame where he needed new mounting points? Both of those items are welded to/incorporated into the frame rails at the factory.

Post Thanks / Like

X3 on all the above... Did you clean off the mill scale???

Post Thanks / Like

Very cold. I would NOT want those on any car, I'm sorry. Extremely dangerous.
    Millermatic 211 w/Spoolmate 150
    Hypertherm PMX45XP

Wishlist:
    HTP Invertig 221

Post Thanks / Like

REJECTED.

#1...Metal not cleaned to shiny metal before starting.
    #2...Fit up sucks.
    #3...Way too cold.
    #4...Lack of experience in knowing what works and what don't.

That kind of workmanship + High Horsepower = Catastrophic failure.

Try again.
    Or leave this stuff to a REAL PRO.

On the PLUS side...
    You did title the thread correctly and seem to know what you are looking at anyway.

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Just because I'm a dumbass don't mean that you can be too.
    So DON'T try any of this **** l do at home.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a do-over to me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigDdal13 View Post
    I hope you have business insurance.
    AWS CWI xxxx2171
    1968 SA200

Quote Originally Posted by WelderMike
    I hate being bipolar, It's awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZTFab View Post
    Nice work!
    Visit Regulator and Torch Exchange, Inc. for all your cutting and heating needs!

Post Thanks / Like

I find it hard to say if the weld would work or not. Maybe the weld is good. I think the weld does not look very well. I think that most people commenting here would say the weld looks good had a more experienced welder welded this. Even had everything been
    the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikecwik View Post
    I think the weld does not look very well. I think that most people commenting here would say the weld looks good had a more experienced welder welded this. Even had everything been
    the same.
    Huh? :confused" If a more "experienced" "welder" did something that looked like that, I'd still question his "experience" and if he really is a welder, not someone who simply squirted metal in the general direction of the project. Time using a machine doesn't guarantee either skill or expertise.

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    Huh? :confused" If a more "experienced" "welder" did something that looked like that, I'd still question his "experience" and if he really is a welder, not someone who simply squirted metal in the general direction of the project. Time using a machine doesn't guarantee either skill or expertise.
    If the more experienced did it it would not look like that. It would still be done at the same settings though.

To me it looks like a text book short circuit weld as far as temperature goes. I however do not care for that look to begin with. I would even be willing to wager that with the same setting an experienced welder could find more heat. I am not going to do the experiment mind you I am just saying.

Post Thanks / Like

I find it hard to say if the weld would work or not. Maybe the weld is good. I think the weld does not look very well. I think that most people commenting here would say the weld looks good had a more experienced welder welded this. Even had everything been
    the same.
    a turd is a turd.....

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  P1130003.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  47.3 KB

Other than the guy welding they don't look much different than these to me. Not that I would weld it like that either, I am just saying.

Post Thanks / Like

There's a lot of difference between that pict and the welds the OP posted. I was hoping he'd post up detailed picts so I could point out issues easier, but he hasn't so far.

The toes in the pict above you posted are well washed in. He has a nice smooth edge to those welds. Also consistency is pretty good, though he's a bit tighter at the bottom and it opens up a bit too much for my taste near the top of the weld. I don't see signs of possible undercutting I saw in many of the OP's welds either. Voltage and wire speed on that pict look close. The weld here isn't humped like the OP's is in many spots.

There's a world of difference between these welds and his.

I tried to post picts where I marked out issues with the OP's welds, but my wireless connection tonight isn't cooperating. I'll try again later.

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

There's a lot of difference between that pict and the welds the OP posted. I was hoping he'd post up detailed picts so I could point out issues easier, but he hasn't so far.

The toes in the pict above you posted are well washed in. He has a nice smooth edge to those welds. Also consistency is pretty good, though he's a bit tighter at the bottom and it opens up a bit too much for my taste near the top of the weld. I don't see signs of possible undercutting I saw in many of the OP's welds either. Voltage and wire speed on that pict look close. The weld here isn't humped like the OP's is in many spots.

There's a world of difference between these welds and his.

I tried to post picts where I marked out issues with the OP's welds, but my wireless connection tonight isn't cooperating. I'll try again later.

Ronald Reagan

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  P1130003.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  47.3 KB

Other than the guy welding they don't look much different than these to me. Not that I would weld it like that either, I am just saying.
    its time for you to get to the eye Dr. buddy....the weld you posted is 100x better than what the op posted...maybe you need some cheater glasses....

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist